comcast

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:09

how is this news? Comcast already did this in a lot of their territory, they already did it up here in PA all people that rent a Comcast gateway now have a XfinityWireless SSID that they CAN turn off from their account management portal...

this hotspot does NOT count against your internet usage, it is NOT tied to your account in any way besides you having the ability to turn it off... anything that happens on it is not your legal responsibility as Comcast assumes all liability on it.. it is completely segmented off from anything you'd get on your LAN side of the gateway  and customers that access it must be Comcast customers logging in with their Comcast user / pass, no one else can use it besides Comcast authorized users..

it has no impact on your bandwidth / throughput / anything else as you have priority on all DOCSIS traffic to your LAN over the xfinity wireless SSID

I wonder how this will effect people with data caps especially since Im sure most of it will be moocher neighbors anyway

has ZERO effect on your usage its a separate network

and remember this only impacts people who use an Xfinity wireless gateway, no other routers / emta's or modems are impacted... only Comcast xfinity branded devices

#17 OP Anonymous persona

Anonymous persona

King

• 61 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:12

well I just have to wonder how it doesn't somehow effect your bandwith

#18 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:20

QOS and VLAN's...... Comcast does a good job of isolating networks... their Phone system goes through the cable system too and their keep it isolated.. in this case your xfinityWiFi SSID is tied to a VLAN Comcast controls with a lower priority QOS tag then your normal WAN traffic into your LAN

and since it's all tagged, they also know it does not count against your usage at all... HOWEVER it does count against the usage of who ever is logged into the hotspot... since you have to log in, it will count what you use on that hotspot as bandwidth usage on your account, not the account of the hotspot gateway account owner

#19 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,871 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:21

probably extra throttling on the vlan would be my guess

#20 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,779 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:24

If you are leasing their equipment, then I'm sure it's a hundred percent legal. Does anyone read contracts anymore? (I don't have an ISP anymore since my laptop was stolen, had my service terminated. My ISP is now at&t) I was with suddenlink, and I'm pretty sure if memory serves me correctly, that they reserve the right or rights to make changes to their service without legally having to inform the end user, after all, it's their equipment, and correct me if I'm wrong, but they are allowed to do with it what they wish. Either way, I'd switch ISP's for that foolish decision on their part.

#21 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:25

probably extra throttling on the vlan would be my guess

even if you have a 150Mbit connection, these gateways are 8x4's at the low end so they can support 343 Mbit down and 122 Mbit up so there is a lot of room to grow, and Comcast is pushing 16x4 modems in some areas now which allow up to 686 Mbit down and 122Mbit up... the hotspots are limited to around 25Mbit so you don't have much to worry about

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,253 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:45

BT do a similar thing in the UK. The public WiFi part is completely separate to the private network the subscriber has. Any data used on the public side doesn't count against any private data caps. It's a great system as any BT customers can access the BT WiFi hotspots when you're away from home for no extra cost. If Comcast do the same then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Howe it still uses router capacity.

It reduces the shared bandwidth available to you.

And more importantly routers can only handle a limited amount of throughput and open connections, some dumbass with a default uTorrent setup that starts 50 thousand connections will completely bring down the router. That's not even taking into account saturating the upstream making you unable to request data, or saturating the CPU power of the router and so on.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,253 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:49

even if you have a 150Mbit connection, these gateways are 8x4's at the low end so they can support 343 Mbit down and 122 Mbit up so there is a lot of room to grow, and Comcast is pushing 16x4 modems in some areas now which allow up to 686 Mbit down and 122Mbit up... the hotspots are limited to around 25Mbit so you don't have much to worry about

Data throughput is only one element, a badly(ie default) configured uTorrent will still bring it down.

#24 sava700

sava700

• 1,488 posts
  • Phone: nice phone

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:53

This is why you purchase your own modem and router and control the network you have yourself.

#25 OP Anonymous persona

Anonymous persona

King

• 61 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:53

OH BTW, To the people asking if this is news, etc...  It's just about now 100,00+ new routers will be getting this in Houston , and I thought it might be important , because the hacker group "Anonymous" on twitter warned people about it so I thought it might be a big deal.... (from their official account)

#26 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,516 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:59

how is this news? Comcast already did this in a lot of their territory, they already did it up here in PA all people that rent a Comcast gateway now have a XfinityWireless SSID that they CAN turn off from their account management portal...

this hotspot does NOT count against your internet usage, it is NOT tied to your account in any way besides you having the ability to turn it off... anything that happens on it is not your legal responsibility as Comcast assumes all liability on it.. it is completely segmented off from anything you'd get on your LAN side of the gateway  and customers that access it must be Comcast customers logging in with their Comcast user / pass, no one else can use it besides Comcast authorized users..

it has no impact on your bandwidth / throughput / anything else as you have priority on all DOCSIS traffic to your LAN over the xfinity wireless SSID

has ZERO effect on your usage its a separate network

and remember this only impacts people who use an Xfinity wireless gateway, no other routers / emta's or modems are impacted... only Comcast xfinity branded devices

Yep this isn't news as Comcast announced this a year ago and as you said it has already hit lots of their market...

IMHO Comcast should offer these users some compensation... Maybe waive the modem rental fee or something. Why shuld the user pay for the electricity to power their Hotspot and etc without compensation?

#27 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• 4,474 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:05

I got a letter about this in Seattle too a month ago.  It's opt-out.  I don't mind so long as my router doesn't do it.

#28 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:07

Yep this isn't news as Comcast announced this a year ago and as you said it has already hit lots of their market...

IMHO Comcast should offer these users some compensation... Maybe waive the modem rental fee or something. Why shuld the user pay for the electricity to power their Hotspot and etc without compensation?

As much as I agree that comcast should waive the fee for letting them use our electic and such, you know they wont... it's like verizon's microcell extenders for cellular..... you had to pay to expand their network and paid a monthly fee for making their network bigger in a sense.....

Data throughput is only one element, a badly(ie default) configured uTorrent will still bring it down.

A badly configured torrent will not bring this down... comcast has over engineered their nodes now so there is up to 1Gbit of space per node with the number of DOCSIS channels they have bonded available. if a user has a 150Mbit connection, that will not saturate the shared bandwidth on the node, and it will not overwhelm the gateway as the gateway is custom designed to segment some processing power to this network and the rest to the customer, there not many ways to mess this up at this point. 

#29 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:13

OH BTW, To the people asking if this is news, etc...  It's just about now 100,00+ new routers will be getting this in Houston , and I thought it might be important , because the hacker group "Anonymous" on twitter warned people about it so I thought it might be a big deal.... (from their official account)

Anonymous is just trying to cause a fuss, fact is there is already 1 million of these gateways out there and enabled... this isn't some new thing or some backdoor, etc...

#30 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,281 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:14

As others have stated Comcast has been doing this for a while. I thought for a while that Comcast had set up Public Wifi hotspots around my area, but recently discovered that its actually users routers. Its actually a great idea in theory, making it so that comcast doesn't have to set up public wifi towers. As with others though as long as this doesn't impact my bandwidth, privacy or anything related to my security or account