Photo

Who needs preordering when you have digital purchases?

video games games digital distribution xbox live psn steam

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 +RageOfFury

RageOfFury

AJ Lee/Alison Brie/JLH worshiper

• 1,220 posts
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:31

Now that we can purchase games directly on Xbox Live or PSN (or Steam if you're a PC gamer) I really do not see the need to pre-order a physical copy through a store anymore. The last 2 games that I bought (MLB 14 The Show and Watch Dogs) I purchased directly from PSN. Bypassing the pain in the butt of going to <enter brick and mortar store here>.

Your thoughts?

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,239 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:33

Well short of Sports games, no chance to re-sell it once you've completed the single player/story or bore of it.

#3 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,838 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:38

Well short of Sports games, no chance to re-sell it once you've completed the single player/story or bore of it.

Yup. That and it's faster/easier to copy the disc to the HD than download.

And really don't have to pre-order. Does give you some freebies but never had a problem finding plenty of popular copies of games on launch day.

#4 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,905 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:40

Now that we can purchase games directly on Xbox Live or PSN (or Steam if you're a PC gamer) I really do not see the need to pre-order a physical copy through a store anymore. The last 2 games that I bought (MLB 14 The Show and Watch Dogs) I purchased directly from PSN. Bypassing the pain in the butt of going to <enter brick and mortar store here>.

Your thoughts?

In the time it would take me to download the next-gen games, I could have walked to the store and back. Plus it is cheaper in physical stores AND I can trade them in afterwards.

#5 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,587 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:45

Your thoughts?

I still rather buy physical, for a few reasons.

- Much cheaper to buy physical, stupidly (I paid £48 for watchdogs on PS4, it's £60 on PSN) including launch day delivery

- When I'm done, I can lend the game to a friend or trade it in

- It's quicker. I have a 150Mbps connection here, yet I can only download from PSN at ~4-5Mbps (meaning that watch dogs would have taken around 13-14 hours to download). My disk copy arrived at 9am sharp.

#6 OP +RageOfFury

RageOfFury

• 1,220 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:46

Yeah I guess for trading a physical copy is required. I don't trade my games though. I like hanging on to them for dear life lol :rofl:

In the case of MLB 14 The Show and Watch Dogs it was cheaper for me to purchase them via PSN than via Best Buy.

As for the the download time, it was minimal given my Internet package.

I just find digital purchases much more easier. If I can I'm going all digital from now on.

#7 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:56

As for the the download time, it was minimal given my Internet package.

It certainly varies, Sneakernet is still king for big downloads in a lot of places either due to speed restrictions or download limits. Stuff like Splinter Cell: Blacklist took 24 hours to download from Uplay, whereas I could have gone to my local game shop, bought a copy and installed it in a couple of hours.

I'm a PC gamer, and I think I speak for a lot of PC gamers when I say that we adopted digital downloads in a big way. However that's mainly down to the cause and effect of DRM. Ever more painful DRM on PC's made services like Steam look like havens of usability by comparison. Eventually a lot of PC players grew tired of having to work around overly-intrusive DRM schemes and just opted for the digital version. Our ability to "trade in" a game was long gone years ago :(.

#8 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:59

I rarely trade in them in so digital never bothered me, and for certain games I'll always try to buy them digitally whenever possible.

The other thing is that my PSN account is US based as I originally made it when living with my parents in NJ.  Games are $60 in the US and $70 in Canada (no tax in the US as it's digital, and 15% in Canada where I live).  So I'm almost paying $20 more to buy a physical copy that ends up being less convenient for me.

That being said, the majority of the games I buy digitally are ones during the flash sales, so I'm rarely spending more than $5 for full games.  The only one I've gotten so far this gen is MLB14, though Destiny will be a digital game as I can see myself putting 100+ hours into it easily (put around 200 into BL2, mainly due to co-op, and I'm more excited for Destiny).

#9 OP +RageOfFury

RageOfFury

• 1,220 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 23:00

Downloading does indeed depend on multiple factors. I've been lucky thus far with PSN. Very fast. Xbox Live on the other hand, I don't know what's wrong but it's painfully slow. Takes forever to download a simple game patch.

#10 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,640 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 23:08

i don't buy retail games in more than 10 years...

edit: sorry i've lied: i've bought the StarCraft 1 pack retail in 2009 (it was dead cheap), but in 10 years that was the single game i've bought in retail form; every other game i just buy in digital fashion (usually after a good deal).

#11 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:30

Your thoughts?

You don't pre-order on PSN or Steam? For me it's part of the fun of gaming, the ritual of buying (or licensing...) games, the anticipation and knowing there's new releases to look forward to. Plus sometimes the pre-order bonuses are nice, though they've gotten kinda skimpy lately. No more buy AAA game X on Steam and get the whole franchise for free, it seems. I also enjoy showing my support for a game in advance, as you know these days every sale is tracked. And for physical retailers, i really treasure my relationships with them and value their services. We're all in this together!

So basically it's just a fun thing, part of the experience. From a strictly common sense point of view you are perfectly right, just click purchase on the store when the game is posted, and you're good to go.

#12 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,740 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:33

I pre-ordered AoM on steam (one month before) just to get the discount.

#13 vetWickedkitten

Wickedkitten

Macintosh Goddess

• 3,651 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:51

I've pretty much cancelled all of my amazon preorders and am going all digital for 3 reasons

1. The only games that I actually traded in last gen were ones that appeared on Playstation Plus

2. It is easy enough to get discounted PSN codes over the internet and I have yet to pay full price for a PSN title. Watch Dogs for example cost me about £46 and it took about 25 minutes to download on our connection. 

3. We preordered the Destiny Bundle for some co-op fun and as a result, it is going to be massively cheaper in future to be able to buy one digital copy of a game to use on two consoles than it will be to buy two physical copies. Plus there is the added bonus of not needing to switch discs. 

#14 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,513 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:29

I don't remember the last time I pre-ordered. It's not like the stores (retail + digital) run out of copies anyway.

#15 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• 3,579 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:53

I still rather buy physical, for a few reasons.

- Much cheaper to buy physical, stupidly (I paid £48 for watchdogs on PS4, it's £60 on PSN) including launch day delivery

- When I'm done, I can lend the game to a friend or trade it in

- It's quicker. I have a 150Mbps connection here, yet I can only download from PSN at ~4-5Mbps (meaning that watch dogs would have taken around 13-14 hours to download). My disk copy arrived at 9am sharp.

Couldn't have said that any better myself, digital downloads are ridiculously overpriced here in the UK.

Plus lets be honest with Xbox Live and PSN giving away free digital games every month, sooner or later you will probably end up with a digital copy of the game anyway.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!