LG 4K TV

Well I was going to put a new 50" LCD up in my basement "theater"... but came across the LG 49UB8500 4K TV, it's only 49" Which isn't a huge deal size wise. My max size I wanted for the area is 50"

Specs: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68949U8500/LG-49UB8500.html?tp=60890

The TV it self has an IPS panel apparently, but doesn't say much about it. Even on LG's site...

I have no idea what Samsung uses panel wise, but I was thinking it isn't IPS... I was originally looking at a UN50H6400 TV from Samsung... but not much detail on the panel, I've seen it in person, and looks good, but for $400 more 4K seems intriguing..

anyone have any experience with LG screens or seen their 4K screens in person that have an opinion on them?

Well I was going to put a new 50" LCD up in my basement "theater"... but came across the LG 49UB8500 4K TV, it's only 49" Which isn't a huge deal size wise. My max size I wanted for the area is 50"

Specs: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68949U8500/LG-49UB8500.html?tp=60890

The TV it self has an IPS panel apparently, but doesn't say much about it. Even on LG's site...

I have no idea what Samsung uses panel wise, but I was thinking it isn't IPS... I was originally looking at a UN50H6400 TV from Samsung... but not much detail on the panel, I've seen it in person, and looks good, but for $400 more 4K seems intriguing..

anyone have any experience with LG screens or seen their 4K screens in person that have an opinion on them?

I just bought the exact tv you are looking at. This is just my opinion, but this tv is amazing! I am no expert (not even close), but based on what I see, I consider the contrast, color reproduction, brightness, clarity, etc... to be very stunning and you get a free year of netflix with it at certain retailers. The registration for the free year of netflix is a bit painful, but it went a lot quicker to receive it than the website claimed. It said 8 - 10 weeks and I had it in 3 days! :) The netflix 4k is fairly breathtaking as well. Also, I love the passive 3D on this tv. With no bezel and a lot of depth, it is very immersive. I hope that this helps.

EDIT: If you opt for this tv, when you first get it and try netflix, it will say "Coming Soon". Simply go into settings -> general -> about this tv -> check for updates and install the update. when that is finished, netflix will ask for an update when you open it. after installing that, it will open just fine. I had to contact customer service to find this out. I had no clue what was going on.

EDIT 2: Also, I consider Samsung TVs to have great picture quality as well. I think LG and Samsung are nearly equal. I probably would have gone for the Samsung if it wasn't for the price (due to them having the features I like the most, evolution kit for future proofing, etc), but the LG is equally impressive with picture quality, so I am very happy with my purchase for the time being. I might upgrade to a curved Samsung in a couple of years or so if they become popular.

I just bought the exact tv you are looking at. This is just my opinion, but this tv is amazing! I am no expert (not even close), but based on what I see, I consider the contrast, color reproduction, brightness, clarity, etc... to be very stunning and you get a free year of netflix with it at certain retailers. The registration for the free year of netflix is a bit painful, but it went a lot quicker to receive it than the website claimed. It said 8 - 10 weeks and I had it in 3 days! :) The netflix 4k is fairly breathtaking as well. Also, I love the passive 3D on this tv. With no bezel and a lot of depth, it is very immersive. I hope that this helps.

EDIT: If you opt for this tv, when you first get it and try netflix, it will say "Coming Soon". Simply go into settings -> general -> about this tv -> check for updates and install the update. when that is finished, netflix will ask for an update when you open it. after installing that, it will open just fine. I had to contact customer service to find this out. I had no clue what was going on.

EDIT 2: Also, I consider Samsung TVs to have great picture quality as well. I think LG and Samsung are nearly equal. I probably would have gone for the Samsung if it wasn't for the price (due to them having the features I like the most, evolution kit for future proofing, etc), but the LG is equally impressive with picture quality, so I am very happy with my purchase for the time being. I might upgrade to a curved Samsung in a couple of years or so if they become popular.

4K Samsung price was ridiculous compared to this, which is the only reason I am considering it. All my other LCD's are Samsung (for TV, for desktops they are all Dell branded IPS panels)

How's the response rate on the screen? ever notice any ghosting or anything? Since it's an IPS panel, I'd imagine it's a tad bit slower then a standard TFT type panel.. but I want the viewing angle and color quality of an IPS

The curved screens for me don't do it.. It seems weird to have a concave curve in them if people will be sitting around the screen at different angles, Convex might be better if you have people around 100 degrees of the panel... single straight on viewer / gamer might love a concave screen though

4K Samsung price was ridiculous compared to this, which is the only reason I am considering it. All my other LCD's are Samsung (for TV, for desktops they are all Dell branded IPS panels)

How's the response rate on the screen? ever notice any ghosting or anything? Since it's an IPS panel, I'd imagine it's a tad bit slower then a standard TFT type panel.. but I want the viewing angle and color quality of an IPS

It may be a little slower, but not enough to be noticeable to me honestly. I didn't notice any other artifacts honestly. The color and clarity in 2D is beautiful at basically any angle. I have it set on the "Vibrant" picture setting because of the brightness and contrast. I enjoy the picture very much on that setting. I sat on the side of the tv and looked across it almost completely horizontally while using my computer (which is next to it) and it was still awesome! In 3D, my father noticed the image to be a bit diminished on an angle. However, he said that it was still a pretty good image from what he could tell. I have yet to test that situation, but I will let you know. :) For the price, I would definitely recommend this. It is a shame that Samsung can't follow suit because their panels are beautiful and they have great features! My prior tv was a Samsung as well (along with my current computer monitor).

EDIT: My only regret with this tv is something that is out of my control (the lack of 4K content because the picture on 4K is so stunning that I want to jump inside my tv). I wish LG would bundle some movies like Sony and Samsung. Either way, the upscaling makes even HD video stunning when compared to other tvs (there is so much detail) and while SD video isn't the greatest (which is to be expected), it is still very nice by comparison. On the topic of video games, don't even get me started on New Super Mario Bros U. I felt like I had died and had gone to heaven. I have never seen a mario game so vibrant (and that is saying something because they are always bright and colorful).

The reviews say this LG set is practically unusable for gaming due to input lag and has awful black performance. Can anyone comment who has used this set in person?

The reviews say this LG set is practically unusable for gaming due to input lag and has awful black performance. Can anyone comment who has used this set in person?

you apparently can turn gaming mode on and eliminate that lag, which pretty much all sets which have buffers and "clarity" filters have... that whole 120Hz and higher stuff seems to mean just more processing before you get the frame...

Hmm well 30odd ms is where it ought to be for a TV so i'm not sure even the Samsung would be too good.  According to most of the reviews I read they all had the LG pegged at up to 100ms which is awful response time.

Hmm well 30odd ms is where it ought to be for a TV so i'm not sure even the Samsung would be too good.  According to most of the reviews I read they all had the LG pegged at up to 100ms which is awful response time.

can you post links to some reviews you saw this at?

I love the reviews some people are posting, "takes 5 minutes to turn on".... "why didn't they put a SSD in this to start up faster?".... :rofl:  basically people picking on webos... wonder if any of them realize this thing uses flash memory not a hard drive..

I love the reviews some people are posting, "takes 5 minutes to turn on".... "why didn't they put a SSD in this to start up faster?".... :rofl:  basically people picking on webos... wonder if any of them realize this thing uses flash memory not a hard drive..

I can tell you from my experience that it doesn't take 5 minutes to turn on. lol. I haven't yet seen mine take longer than 10 - 15 seconds to turn on (after the initial setup that is). The first time it has to load everything for setup and configuration. As far as gaming lag, I haven't yet had any issues. It isn't bad at all in my opinion, but that is just me. :) I wonder sometimes if some reviewers just bash technology because they are unable to afford it and are jealous.

I can tell you from my experience that it doesn't take 5 minutes to turn on. lol. I haven't yet seen mine take longer than 10 - 15 seconds to turn on (after the initial setup that is). The first time it has to load everything for setup and configuration. As far as gaming lag, I haven't yet had any issues. It isn't bad at all in my opinion, but that is just me. :) I wonder sometimes if some reviewers just bash technology because they are unable to afford it and are jealous.

I think it's just the elitism people get when they can say I'm 10 milliseconds faster then you, I'd start to worry when you press a button then see a delay in the reaction in the game...

Almost like the PC monitor refresh rates... the whole oooooo I'm 20 ms ooooo I'm 16 ms.... psh that's gray to gray I'm black to white.... blah blah blah

I wonder if those people went through a software update and it took that long to update webOS and they had to rant about it like the whole system was slow...

did yours come with a USB stick with 4K demo content on it? saw a lot of reviews about the larger screens coming with one

I think it's just the elitism people get when they can say I'm 10 milliseconds faster then you, I'd start to worry when you press a button then see a delay in the reaction in the game...

Almost like the PC monitor refresh rates... the whole oooooo I'm 20 ms ooooo I'm 16 ms.... psh that's gray to gray I'm black to white.... blah blah blah

I wonder if those people went through a software update and it took that long to update webOS and they had to rant about it like the whole system was slow...

did yours come with a USB stick with 4K demo content on it? saw a lot of reviews about the larger screens coming with one

Yeah, that makes sense. The wonderful part of human nature that insists that someone has to be better than someone else. lol. The update may have been the issue. I am not sure. As far as a usb stick, I didn't see one, but if it was supposed to, I hope that they will send it. I didn't see anything about it, but I will grasp for all 4k content that I can get. I hope it isn't just for the larger screens because we need something 4k to watch on this other than netflix (especially for those that can't stream 4k over netflix due to bandwidth issues). It would help those people to have some other content.

Yeah, that makes sense. The wonderful part of human nature that insists that someone has to be better than someone else. lol. The update may have been the issue. I am not sure. As far as a usb stick, I didn't see one, but if it was supposed to, I hope that they will send it. I didn't see anything about it, but I will grasp for all 4k content that I can get. I hope it isn't just for the larger screens because we need something 4k to watch on this other than netflix (especially for those that can't stream 4k over netflix due to bandwidth issues). It would help those people to have some other content.

you could always buy one of those Samsung or sony "UHD Content Kits" which all it is basically is a hard drive with a few 4K movies on them :laugh:  that plugs in via USB

you could always buy one of those Samsung or sony "UHD Content Kits" which all it is basically is a hard drive with a few 4K movies on them :laugh:  that plugs in via USB

that is true, but we would have to hack the content protection in order to use them lol. they only work with sony and samsung tvs.

that is true, but we would have to hack the content protection in order to use them lol. they only work with sony and samsung tvs.

Really? huh I thought they were just drives full of mkv files

could of sworn I saw a sony one at best buy running on a Samsung tv

Really? huh I thought they were just drives full of mkv files

could of sworn I saw a sony one at best buy running on a Samsung tv

That is what I have seen listed online. Maybe they will work somehow. I don't know. I could check at hh gregg where I bought my tv and see if they know, but the sony site seemed to indicate that it would only work on sony tvs. maybe best buy found a work around? :s I know that Sony's box basically contains their Video Unlimited service where you can rent 4k movies or buy them. I don't know if it has the movies included as well or not.

I just got the LG 55LA9650 for 1011.00 USD at microcenter.com.It also had an IPS panel.Best tv I ever looked at!

Is that the 2013 model?

what can be more efficient then sending a 53 foot long Semi truck to deliver a 49" television...... ugh..... I've shipped larger things via UPS  box trucks then this and they send this on a semi.....

Well pulled the trigger and ordered the LG 4K panel, we'll see how it looks when it gets here

Nice,post some pics when its all up and running!

Well pulled the trigger and ordered the LG 4K panel, we'll see how it looks when it gets here

Awesome! You will love it! Netflix just added Breaking Bad, Smurfs 2, and Ghostbusters in 4K too!

Well first thing I'll tell anyone about this... if you want to wall mount it, you pretty much need 3/4" stand offs they designed it so the bottom screws are close to a lip that sticks out 3/4" from the back of the tv and without stand offs it makes putting the mounting brackets on to the 400 mm VESA mounts pretty hard..

start up time, first startup it takes a couple minutes because of the initial setup, but after that startup is pretty fast.

Screen looks good even from 170 degree angles.

3D for me so far seemed odd, almost had a blurred feel to it, but I was watching its on the only 3D channel we have (Discovery 3D) need to try a blu-ray and see what it's like. the Passive 3D glasses of course feel movie theater cheap, but all they are is two polarized lenses so not too much you can do about that.

So far it works pretty good, need to find some 4K content to try out though