Photo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 acertim

acertim

Neowinian

• 498 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:17

I am a local artist that releases 1-2 albums on CD per year.  There is a website that uploads my cds, and others like it, and put its for free download on file hosting sites.  All of their content is illegal music that their users can download via filehosts.  What can I do about this?

#2 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,081 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:19

If you figure it out, let the RIAA know immediately :p

The best you can probably do is copyright infringement notices on the file hosts. Might be worth asking someone in the know (lawyer maybe) if you can send a cease and desist to the website in question?

#3 OP acertim

acertim

Neowinian

• 498 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:25

Is the problem really that bad? 

#4 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,081 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:28

Well, you could try just asking the website to remove your links as a first step, but other than that, there's not really much else you can do.

#5 OP acertim

acertim

Neowinian

• 498 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:32

I've tried and have never got a repsonse from that website.  Can I make a complaint to the host of their website?  Is that even effective?

#6 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:33

Unless you like aggrevating people, enjoy fighting against the wind and also want to appear a bit douchy, nothing. The ones, who download - they probably like your music. Or why would they do it? Take solace in that. They might or might not want to drop money for it, but one thing is clear - they aren't going to if you'll go all law and order on them. And if you're in it solely for the money - you deserve none of it. Instead, set up bandcamp, soundcloud, some kind of charity, perhaps. Engage with your listeners, promote your stuff around, use money for advertising and awareness rather than ligitations and lining shyster's pockets. From time to time remind people that you're not really using the money to wipe backside (well, unless you're rapping - then things along these lines sort of belong to the genre). And so you'd appreciate that they cough up for things they like, that every little helps and such; but don't press on it, because, likely, neither do they bathe in benjamins, you know.

Oh, and the thing about dealing with that website - as long as there's single digital copy out there somewhere, it's going to pop up somewhere. Depending on the nature of that site (if it's not filesharing malware ridden cesspool of pron, but something you can see yourself associating with), perhaps you can make a deal with that site. Take note how that works with some TPB indies. I've seen RuTr....rrrr also doing this and it's nearly always a great success.

On the other hand, if you aren't convinced - take note how well it has worked out for the big labels. Nobody really gives a crap about their posturing, warnings and other bull. People just pump, dump, rip, share around and listen to the stuff anyway. If they're gonna, they're gonna.

#7 EZRecovery

EZRecovery

Puertorican Neowinian Member

• 2,072 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:41

I've tried and have never got a repsonse from that website.  Can I make a complaint to the host of their website?  Is that even effective?

Websites and companies are not going to listen to you directly, you might need to hire a lawyer so the lawyer can send cease and desist letters.

#8 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• 2,633 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:40

What's the link of the post?

#9 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,587 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:49

You can send them letters to take it down, maybe (a very big maybe) they will take it down. Another 100 will pop up. There just aint no way to fight piracy. Look at the music industry or the movie industry, they are spending millions every year to "try" and fight it but without any progress. Most sites just move their servers to a location that doesn't give a flying .... and tell the industry in question to **** off. There have been maybe, what, 4-5 torrent sites closed? How many popped up? 40-50?

It's best for you not to spend your remaining money to fight them. Not that I agree with piracy but this is a battle you won't win.

I've actually seen artists releasing their own albums themselves on torrent sites with leaving a note that if the people like it to buy it to support him/her :) Which I think is nice an all, maybe some of them will even buy it but most just wont do it. But rather have some of them buy than none right?

#10 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,371 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 16:49

Unless you like aggrevating people, enjoy fighting against the wind and also want to appear a bit douchy, nothing. The ones, who download - they probably like your music. Or why would they do it? Take solace in that. They might or might not want to drop money for it, but one thing is clear - they aren't going to if you'll go all law and order on them. And if you're in it solely for the money - you deserve none of it. Instead, set up bandcamp, soundcloud, some kind of charity, perhaps. Engage with your listeners, promote your stuff around, use money for advertising and awareness rather than ligitations and lining shyster's pockets. From time to time remind people that you're not really using the money to wipe backside (well, unless you're rapping - then things along these lines sort of belong to the genre). And so you'd appreciate that they cough up for things they like, that every little helps and such; but don't press on it, because, likely, neither do they bathe in benjamins, you know.

Oh, and the thing about dealing with that website - as long as there's single digital copy out there somewhere, it's going to pop up somewhere. Depending on the nature of that site (if it's not filesharing malware ridden cesspool of pron, but something you can see yourself associating with), perhaps you can make a deal with that site. Take note how that works with some TPB indies. I've seen RuTr....rrrr also doing this and it's nearly always a great success.

On the other hand, if you aren't convinced - take note how well it has worked out for the big labels. Nobody really gives a crap about their posturing, warnings and other bull. People just pump, dump, rip, share around and listen to the stuff anyway. If they're gonna, they're gonna.

You can send them letters to take it down, maybe (a very big maybe) they will take it down. Another 100 will pop up. There just aint no way to fight piracy. Look at the music industry or the movie industry, they are spending millions every year to "try" and fight it but without any progress. Most sites just move their servers to a location that doesn't give a flying .... and tell the industry in question to **** off. There have been maybe, what, 4-5 torrent sites closed? How many popped up? 40-50?

It's best for you not to spend your remaining money to fight them. Not that I agree with piracy but this is a battle you won't win.

I've actually seen artists releasing their own albums themselves on torrent sites with leaving a note that if the people like it to buy it to support him/her :) Which I think is nice an all, maybe some of them will even buy it but most just wont do it. But rather have some of them buy than none right?

These two are spot on...

While the OP may not agree with your/our opinions, take some sense OP, while it's not our business , there is a good side to everything and for emerging artists, IT might not be that bad at all.

#11 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,705 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 17:50

Don't be all negative with this issue because there's alot you can do but just not the way you think.  :)

i know a few big bands in my country and some good artists (music, comedians) that were discovered because of piracy of their works. Those were the success cases; it all depends of whether the public likes the songs and how are you gonna cash those in. Some word of mouth helps alot, as well reaching your fans (whom you might don't even know how many they are) through social media and concerts.

#12 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,360 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 13 June 2014 - 18:14

Join the websites in question, let people know that you are the artist, and ask them what they think of your music.

Give them the option to pay whatever they like, maybe with the added bonus of a few unreleased tracks/artwork

The amount of crap I have downloaded, just because the title sounded catchy is unbelievable, so not every "illegal" download is a lost sale, nowhere near it.

Don't fight your fans, connect with them.

#13 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,371 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 18:16

Very postive thoughts!

#14 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,705 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 18:53

THIS. It just sums everything up.

/thread.

#15 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,309 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 18:56

If you can some how show proof of ownership, you would need to contact the hosting company or if the site is self-hosted, the ISP providing the connection to the server. They likely have a form/process that you can use to go through a removal of the content or severing the connection.

The hard part may be actually proving ownership.