usa nra congress bodyguard blanket kevlar

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,991 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:49

For the first time ever, you can prepare your children for the potential war zone known as the local elementary school with bullet proof blankets.

The The Bodyguard Blanket was developed by Steve Walker, a father of two elementary school students who was horrified by the December 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, which left 20 children and six adults dead. In the 14 months following Newtown, there were at least 44 school shootings. “We wanted our children to have a layer of protection immediately,” Walker told Oklahoma NBC affiliate KFOR. “They can be stored in the classroom, and, when seconds count, they can be easily applied.”

It comes in both child and adult sizes and is designed to be bulletproof, made from the same materials that US soldiers and law enforcement wear, the manufacturer’s website claims. The manufacturers estimate that the blankets provide protection against “90% of all weapons that have been used in school shootings in the United States.”

Source: Mother Jones

At the price of $1,000 a pop, at least we can be assured that the only children that really matter in this society – the ones whose parents aren’t struggling just to provide their children with three meals a day – will be saved.

source & video

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria

--- eüphorïå ---

• 2,344 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:38

Crazy! That's where we've gotten to... it's easier to purchase $1000 bullet proof blankets than regulate guns...

#3 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,564 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:41

Seriously??? How is this NOT an Onion story?? 

#4 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,580 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:10

FFS, do something about the problem rather than sticking a plaster over it.

#5 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

• 437 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:23

So the idea is a gunman will enter a classroom and think they are just gym mats and leave the room right? Brilliant!

#6 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,514 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:39

...because it is impossible to pull a blanket off someone and shoot them....especially a weak child.

#7 +Vykranth

Vykranth

Chantez, compagnons, dans la nuit la Liberté nous écoute

• 3,229 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:54

The fact that such devices for children exist should make every american ashamed or at least concerned.

#8 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

• 940 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:58

Congrats on living in fear.

#9 bithush

bithush

Neowinian

• 208 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:14

I am from the UK and I find it so sad that this is the world that some kids live in.

The same people who are against gun control are the same people who say that "even if one child is saved it is worth doing it" when it comes to destroying rights for privacy, etc. If gun control laws can save just one childs life are they not worth it too? I just don't understand it :no:

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria

--- eüphorïå ---

• 2,344 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:47

I am from the UK and I find it so sad that this is the world that some kids live in.

The same people who are against gun control are the same people who say that "even if one child is saved it is worth doing it" when it comes to destroying rights for privacy, etc. If gun control laws can save just one childs life are they not worth it too? I just don't understand it :no:

It comes down to people living in fear from the government and from other potential threath, and thinking that owning guns can somehow protect them or give them the tools to deffend their freedom. It's in the 2nd amendment of the US constitution, written in the late 18th century... something that was needed at that time but never evolved because of the money involved in the business.

Gun manufacturers love for everyone to own guns and look at guns as a necessity... more guns on the streets, more money for them...

The point being is that neither of the political parties will ever do anything against it... or to even regulate it would be the same as cutting the hand that feeds you, so it's much easier to keep people living in fear and telling them that their god given consitutional right is to own a gun...

#11 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,176 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:51

Gotta live in fear of something....

#12 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,151 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 June 2014 - 17:03

This is merely a cash grab. If there is enough hype for something someone will try selling snake oil...

It comes down to people living in fear from the government and from other potential threath, and thinking that owning guns can somehow protect them or give them the tools to deffend their freedom. It's in the 2nd amendment of the US constitution, written in the late 18th century... something that was needed at that time but never evolved because of the money involved in the business.

Gun manufacturers love for everyone to own guns and look at guns as a necessity... more guns on the streets, more money for them...

The point being is that neither of the political parties will ever do anything against it... or to even regulate it would be the same as cutting the hand that feeds you, so it's much easier to keep people living in fear and telling them that their god given consitutional right is to own a gun...

The concern of the gun lobby isn't unwarranted, within reason...

IMHO a fair question is why do people who want to have stronger gun laws exempt the police? If the citizenry should be disarmed so to should the police... Otherwise, we're shifting more power into the hands of an already oppressive group.

Crazy! That's where we've gotten to... it's easier to purchase $1000 bullet proof blankets than regulate guns...

Gun regulation isn't the cure. Canada just had a very nasty shooting killing a few police officers and devastating the nation. They also have extremely restrictive gun laws.

I support stronger gun laws in the US, but if we want to really stop these mass shootings we need to work on addressing the core problem. Not attempting to dress the surface wound while the infection festers below.

#13 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 17:05

Sure you can regulate guns. It's a lot harder to regulate crazy though. Timothy Mcveigh would like to say Hi.

Congrats on living in fear.

Who is living in fear? Interesting how it's usually people not from the US making these kinds of comments.

#14 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 678 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 12 June 2014 - 17:16

So, it doesn't say who is supposed to buy these, parents or schools. It would be ironic for schools to pay for these yet refuse to buy metal detectors and/or other preventative measures. As far as parents buying them goes... Here's a list of next year's school supplies:

No. 2 Pencils

Colored Pencils

Pens

Hi-liter

Ruler

Bullet Proof Blanket

3 Ring Binder

Notebook Paper

Field Medic Kit

Drop Shovel

#15 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 678 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 12 June 2014 - 17:43

This is merely a cash grab. If there is enough hype for something someone will try selling snake oil...

The concern of the gun lobby isn't unwarranted, within reason...

IMHO a fair question is why do people who want to have stronger gun laws exempt the police? If the citizenry should be disarmed so to should the police... Otherwise, we're shifting more power into the hands of an already oppressive group.

Gun regulation isn't the cure. Canada just had a very nasty shooting killing a few police officers and devastating the nation. They also have extremely restrictive gun laws.

I support stronger gun laws in the US, but if we want to really stop these mass shootings we need to work on addressing the core problem. Not attempting to dress the surface wound while the infection festers below.

Canada's probably a poor example to use. At the risk of going off topic here, let's compare the number of TOTAL shootings in Canada this year to just the mass shootings in the U.S. My obvious point is, the U.S. far outstrips other "developed" nations, like Canada, in gun deaths. That shouldn't even be a question. 

I think what those who are against or question the effects of stricter gun laws in the U.S., believe that those who are for them think it will end ALL gun violence. That's next to impossible to do and I'm sure people realize that. But, if you could reduce the gun violence in the U.S. to say 10x what it is in Canada (numerical total, not per capita), that would be a huge coup. And, I don't think that has to be through disarmament. But, reductions and restrictions should most certainly be on the table.

As far as the blankets go, I don't know if the guy's a snake oil salesman or if he sees this as one of the only viable outlets. Maybe it's the unwillingness of congress to act on this matter that causes people like him to say, I'll do what I can on my end. Who knows?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!