Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindovermaster

Black Screen

14 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I added on Steam on my Crunchbang OS. Used Debian Jessie to install. Everything on default.

This morning, when I turn on the computer, It just goes blank. This is after it posts "wait until /dev gets populated" The last thing it does before desktop shows up.

It did this before, but normally I just restart the computer, and its fine.

Using my other SSD, that has Ubuntu (latest version?).''

I think this is a problem with X11, but not sure exactly what.

What's up?!

100 views, and nothing? I don't mean to bump this, just I haven't got a solution all day.

Ask in  the debian forums? Looks like it was a bug and it's still there. Looks like users got that same message after upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

Probably better if you use another distro of linux

Ask in  the debian forums? Looks like it was a bug and it's still there. Looks like users got that same message after upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

Probably better if you use another distro of linux

I ask here because i know there are some educated people on here. I ask all my Debian-based questions on here. That's like saying use Google.

A bug? Tell me what bug that is. I am not upgrading, I am simply using the repositories.

Another distro, are you kidding me?!

Are you using Plymouth by chance? There's something wrong with it on Debian that causes it to not display anything except a black screen.

No, last thing I installed to cause this problem is Steam.

Try adding "nomodeset" to the kernel options from the GRUB screen and see if you can get it to come up at all.

I never had much luck getting Steam to work right on Debian. I know SteamOS is forked from it but I had issues with jockey and glib when I tried it.

It was working fine before I installed Steam... I'll test nomodeset later.

If you used the custom deb package make sure you install the extra dependency packages it needs, too. (enable multi-arch and add i386, and the x86 opengl package)

I don't think the glibc and jockey issues I mentioned are relevant for Jessie, only Wheezy.

That's really odd, then. Maybe it's something in Crunchbang that's causing the issue? I can try doing a plain Jessie install later and see if I can replicate your issue.

It happens with some ATI driver versions and Kernel versions. Its a known thing. Google Around for a bit more. 

There some fix for this? I'm done searching on Google....

Ok, I put Mint Debian LMDE over my Ubuntu install on my Samsung 830 120GB SSD. After I got the propietary drivers up, I rather liked it. I know the overscan bit. That was easy. Loaded  up all the programs I used, easy peasy.

I'll keep picking at that Crunchbang thing, but, until I find a solution, it's borged.