Match 7: England vs Italy

20 members have voted

1. 1. England, Italy or draw?

• England
    • Italy
    • Draw
  2. 2. How many goals will England score?

• 5+
  3. 3. How many goals will Italy score?

• 5+

The game was a lot more interesting then I would have expected

I agree.  I expected Italy would win but I became less confident as the 2nd half went on.  In the end, England weren't as bad as I expected them to be although Rooney is a waste of space.

We should have won that game quite easily. Italy look dull and boring like usual. England seemed to want to attack but we never gave the ball to Welbeck and Sterling enough to run at the defence. Plus if you're going to play Rooney. Play him in position and not out on the left.

man how did pirlo miss that!

edit: lol wrote that, but forgot to post at the moment it happend :rofl:

Thierry Henry - "Pirlo is so good, I think he meant to hit the crossbar."  :laugh: 

England have the personnel to have won the game but Roy bottled it by choosing a 'safe' team rather than one with a real edge - should've started the game with the team that finished it (except Sturridge instead of Rooney).  Baines and Johnson had absolutely shockers.  Henderson added no value because he was playing it so safe.  Rooney only got chosen because he is Rooney, rather than because he has any sort of form. 

• Like 1

Second half defending (and attack) by England was shocking, I also think the team played too much into Rooney rather than actually trying to win it :(

Even though we lost, it was the most impressive performance I have seen from England (especially going forward) in years. Having said that, some players really did show how they lack 'top level' experience and Leighton Baines was one of them. 

Italy are a possession team and pass the ball a lot, so what do we let them do?! Hold the ball, not close them down quick enough and let them pass it. Italy's second goal could easily been avoided if we had closed them down quicker and stopped the cross (which I have to say was absolute class).

Raheem Sterling was the stand out man for me, he looked sharp and fearless when running at defenders. 

I said before the World Cup started that our weakest area will defines and it really did show last night. 

Losing last night means we have to go out and beat Uruguay and Costa Rica to qualify and I think we can if we attack like we did last night. I am hoping Roy realises this and does put the best attacking/goal scoring team out that we have against Uruguay, which I would say is:

Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Shaw, Gerrard, Barkley, Sterling, Rooney, The Ox & Sturridge. Both Sterling and Ox playing on the wings.

Some positives to take away from that game for sure, main one being looks like England will do quite well in 2018..

Rooney clearly just cant cut in for his country!

England need to understand something, to accept the fact that rooney is  a potato sack with legs, a dead horse, a failure, a player that worth 7 miilion$ at best.(if someone sucker enough to pay it)

but i dont think they will understand, because they cling to him like he was one of 25 best players in the world, he is not.
and england doesn't have  enough talents, same with premier league, way to much foreigners and less local talents.

it sad, cause for over 20 years England is like rooney, overrated and sham.

as a fan of German, i hoped Italy will win, because of pirlo, he's a true soul player, it's pleasure watching him all those years, he deserve a title, and lot's of respect.

Raheem Sterling was the stand out man for me, he looked sharp and fearless when running at defenders.

Agreed, the kid was great. Wish I was that good when I was 19 :p. I think one of the BBC commentators said it best "he's got no respect for reputation". He was pretty much just playing the way he knew best without concern for which Italian players were trying to cut him down, and I think it played out well.

England need to understand something, to accept the fact that rooney is  a potato sack with legs, a dead horse, a failure, a player that worth 7 miilion$ at best.(if someone sucker enough to pay it)

but i dont think they will understand, because they cling to him like he was one of 25 best players in the world, he is not.

and england doesn't have  enough talents, same with premier league, way to much foreigners and less local talents.

it sad, cause for over 20 years England is like rooney, overrated and sham.

as a fan of German, i hoped Italy will win, because of pirlo, he's a true soul player, it's pleasure watching him all those years, he deserve a title, and lot's of respect.

I think respect where it's due, Rooney was a great player. The last couple of seasons he really seems to have lost his edge though, both at international and club level. I don't think it helps that he was played out of position last night as well. I think he's a good addition to the squad, but not on the wing.

Agreed, the kid was great. Wish I was that good when I was 19 :p. I think one of the BBC commentators said it best "he's got no respect for reputation". He was pretty much just playing the way he knew best without concern for which Italian players were trying to cut him down, and I think it played out well.

That really does sum up his performance well, it didn't matter to him that he was playing on the biggest stage in world football, he could of been playing on Hackney Marshes, all that mattered to him was he knew what he had to do and did it.