Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindovermaster

Sound Card

8 posts in this topic

My onboard sound makes that loud buzzing sound. I tried shielded cables, 2 different speakers, they all gave out that buzz. So, I found my PCI Creative SBLive. Put that in, all is well again.

Should I keep that card, or get something new? Like a PCI-E card? I mean, it is 2000-age. It still works great, but will I get anything more from buying a new one? I'm no audiophile, running Logitech Z4 speakers.

Could be the audio drivers, where did these come from??  And mic isnt on is it??

It ain't drivers. I'm on Linux, I heard this before, but not as loud.

Was the 1024 edition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Live!

And I have a MIC on my speakers.

If it works ok I would just keep it. I have my SoundBlaster Live card I bought in 1998 and it's still a really good card in my opinion.

If you don't feel a difference (audio wise that is), then why not? It's a solid card, there's drivers for Linux... why change? I've bought a semi-professional sound card for a digital audio workstation that uses Linux; because of budget I've found a card from 1999 that not only had drivers for Windows 8 but even for newer Linux kernel as well. So in the end i've got a good card, compatible with the Linux version of the DAW and even works in Windows 8. Sometimes just because something is old doesn't mean isn't good.

That it is. A good old card. Guess I just had cold feet. *puts on socks*

Edit: I wonder where my old ISA sound card is... :laugh:

lf you have the means, I would purchase the Asus Xonar Essence STX card.  I have it, and it's fabulous.

I used to have a ASUS Xonar or something that came with my old 1156 motherboard. But that is sold on eBay already a few years ago....