Windows7 update error led to Genuine Advantage popping up

I have been aware of updates not installing for a few months now.

I have followed the Microsoft Fix it, and command prompts, disabled non-Microsoft services, no luck.

Now, Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is showing up, telling me my Windows is not genuine.  I am too busy for the next few weeks, to reformat my tower.

Any suggestions ?

Windows 7 seems to be clogged.  I do not have any nag screens/scare wave or weird computer behaviour to indicate malware infection.  The only malware I find on a weekly basis is Adware cookies.

The Microsoft tech I phoned yesterday, ran remote access, and along the way caused my system to completely freeze.  I had to hit the Power Button to restart my system.

So, it would seem I either have to make the stupid WGA go away, or reformat.

I am not sure how I can disable WGA on Win7.  I was forced to do it on my previous system, I had to reinstall twice in 30 days, then Microsoft flagged my XP as a pirated version.  This was of course the holographic sticker Serial # on the side of my XP tower.

What options do I have ?

Wjat have I not considered yet ?

Have you tried uninstalling/rolling back the updates? Restoring to a previous point that was fine? It's goofy to reformat over something like this.

If you go to system props does it say windows is activated? Does it give you the option of activating? Does it fail, have you tried a manual phone activation?

Personally I would just format. I know it is a pain in the ass but it is a couple of hours of your time while you are doing something else like the ironing lol.

Also what a wonderful "advantage" this is for a legal user ;)

I have been aware of updates not installing for a few months now.

I have followed the Microsoft Fix it, and command prompts, disabled non-Microsoft services, no luck.

Now, Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is showing up, telling me my Windows is not genuine.  I am too busy for the next few weeks, to reformat my tower.

Any suggestions ?

hum lol? why had you updates not installing for months? also why did you run the MS Fix it? And most importantly, why did you disabled non MS services? The fact that WGA is kicking in is just a mere secondary effect of something going on that needs to be addressed first; as long as you have a COA the activation is easy, so that's a non issue.

I am not sure how I can disable WGA on Win7.  I was forced to do it on my previous system, I had to reinstall twice in 30 days, then Microsoft flagged my XP as a pirated version.  This was of course the holographic sticker Serial # on the side of my XP tower.

why reinstall twice? the holographic sticker is the COA; was that used or was another license used? Anyways, there's missing alot of information.