Need a Graphics Card - Seems My PC Isn't THAT Powerful

So I am getting back into gaming and have found my Shuttle PC isnt powerful enough with the on-board graphics.

The game, which plays but stutters says:

Graphics: 256MB with Pixel Shader 3.0* (AGP PCIe only)
I thought about getting a cheap one from Amazon:

The Sapphire 5450 DDR3

I should think this will be powerful enough - I can't have a double space one as there is very little space in the shuttle PC.

Are there any others I should consider?

Thanks

What's your budget?  The 5450 is an old and not very powerful card, so you probably won't be able to get too much out of it.

An Nvidia GT 740 or AMD R7 250 would probably be a much better choice.

• Like 2

What does the rest of that shuttle pc look like?  Sounds like we are talking one that is more than a couple years old.  What type of games are you thinking about running?  I mean with a 5450 you will be playing only a handful of games and at low settings.  The r7 250 recomended above is twice the price but 5 times the performance and its still not got to run anything more than low settings atleast it will prolly run current games at low settings.  Depending on what the rest of your system looks like

edit

Just thought i should ask you DO have a pcie x16 slot inside that shuttle case dont you?

• Like 1

So I am getting back into gaming and have found my Shuttle PC isnt powerful enough with the on-board graphics.

The game, which plays but stutters says:

Graphics: 256MB with Pixel Shader 3.0* (AGP PCIe only)

The Sapphire 5450 DDR3

I should think this will be powerful enough - I can't have a double space one as there is very little space in the shuttle PC.

Thanks

If you have room for a dual-slot PCI-Express card, strongly consider a GTX750 or GTX 750Ti.

Yes - I know they are nVidia products, and your original choice is AMD - however, hear me out.

I used to HAVE an AMD HD5450 in PCI-E trim, and while not a BAD card, is more an entry-level (and I mean BASIC) gaming card - casual games and three years old and older games.  (For that reason, when I upgraded, Mom got it in her refurb HP DC7600.)

The replacement in MY PC is a refurbished EVGA GTX550Ti - while it takes up two slots, it's no longer than the HD5450 it replaced.  While it requires a 6-pin PCI-E power feed, such is NOT the case with most GTX750s (and almost half the 2 GB GTX750Tis - which regularly whack the GTX550Tis like mine messily around).

Other options are GTX650 and GTX660 - especially if your power supply is less than 600 watts (mine is 600 watts even).  (Again, most of these require - at most - a single 6-pin power feed.)

The Sapphire 5450 DDR3

Powerful enough for what? You mention "gaming" but not what games and what resolution you use. Consider that this was a low-end card in 2012, i.e. it was barely ok for playing older games, back then. If you're expecting to play contemporary games on that then you'll be disappointed.

I suggest you check out Tomshardware recommendations for entry-level video cards and go with one of these.

OP wants to play games on a Shuttle? Unless that he wants to play something light and it doesn't make the Shuttle overheat with it then fine.

Else, good luck.

I purchased an R7 260X and don't regret it one bit. It was cheap and runs everything I throw at it really well. It was around $150 at the time.

guys, OP has a Shuttle, it's very limited and lacks space. It's something like this:

shuttle-sa76g2.jpg

So without knowing the Shuttle model, the games OP wants to play and the resolution of them throwing GPUs is kinda pointless, eh?

Right. There aren't many good single-slot, low-profile graphics card to find; Sapphire used to make an HD 7750 which you might be able to buy used, that would be a decent deal. I'm not aware of any more recent cards that would fit that particular bill.

The Sapphire 5450 DDR3

Unless you're playing facebook games, you're going to want something a lot more poweful than that card. It's the lowest of low end and although you might see a bit of a performance boost while using desktop apps in any version of Windows since Vista (because of dwm), you're not going to really gain any 3D graphics advantage with that card.

It's really meant to be a low end addon card for a media centre PC, so you can watch HD videos and stuff on other lower end hardware.

Wow!

Thanks so much for the responses, it has given me a lot of food for thought.

I have the Shuttle SZ68R5 (click here for images), which can hold a graphics card.

My budget is less than ?100.

I don't mind whether it's ATi or NVIDIA.

Processor is an Intel i5, ram is 8GB, liquid cooled processor.  The biggest resolutions would be the 1680 x 1050 I currently have on the desktop, although some games may want 1920 x 1080.

The three most powerful games I play (and would play) are: The Sims 3 (and 4 when it comes out - for the GF :p), Team Fortress 2 and Red Alert 3, which my current set up plays the latter fine anyway.  So for this, I didn't think I would need a particularly powerful graphics card and although the case can support dual slot graphics cards, I wasn't looking to fill both slots as it'll be a slight squeeze:

IMG_0044.JPG

But if it's hard to get a single slot card that won't melt these days then I can go double - perhaps a similar card to what Mark suggested above, the Asus nVidia GeForce GT 640?

For under ?100, your best options are going to be an Nvidia GTX 750 or AMD R7 260X.  The Nvidia is small, single slot, and faster than the 260X, so that one would be the better bet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-Nvidia-GeForce-StormX-Graphics/dp/B00IWZ89AS/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1403021726&sr=8-33&keywords=gtx+750

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5-1188MHz-Express-Graphics/dp/B00FSC51TU/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1403021689&sr=8-25&keywords=gtx+750

If you can squeeze out a little more in your budget, the AMD R9 270X is a beast of a card and a crazy good deal:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Dual-X-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B00FL8H49Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403021784&sr=8-1&keywords=r9+270

For under ?100, your best options are going to be an Nvidia GTX 750 or AMD R7 260X.  The Nvidia is small, single slot, and faster than the 260X, so that one would be the better bet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-Nvidia-GeForce-StormX-Graphics/dp/B00IWZ89AS/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1403021726&sr=8-33&keywords=gtx+750

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5-1188MHz-Express-Graphics/dp/B00FSC51TU/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1403021689&sr=8-25&keywords=gtx+750

If you can squeeze out a little more in your budget, the AMD R9 270X is a beast of a card and a crazy good deal:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Dual-X-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B00FL8H49Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403021784&sr=8-1&keywords=r9+270

I second the comment on the 270X, it's worth the money. Do it. You know you want to.

Though, make sure it's going to fit first!

Anything a bit cheaper?  :/

It would be the 750 if not but even then I don't want to be spending that much.

However I want a smooth game! :P

Maybe I'll just buy it and not think about the price.

i use a r7250 which was under ?100, seems like a nice good card and should run what you want it to. although others might have different opinions.

I have the Shuttle SZ68R5 (click here for images), which can hold a graphics card.

Good. I can't point to a single card, but can recommend GPU ranges for you to choose from.

Geforce:

Series 600: 650 Ti and above.

Series 700: 750 and above.

Radeon:

Series HD 7000: 7750 GDDR5 and above (beware of the DDR3 versions.)

Series R: 250X and above

I would recommend a GTX 750 Ti, or a 760 (770s are good, but are more expensive, usually around 300 dollars or more).

For Amd: probably an R9 270x, or so.

I would recommend a GTX 750 Ti, or a 760 (770s are good, but are more expensive, usually around 300 dollars or more).

For Amd: probably an R9 270x, or so.

Too expensive for his budget. A 750 would work fine for him.

I'm sorry, what was his budget?

I didn't know, so I recommended the 750 ti. But if you're really on a budget than a 750 would be fine.

Sorry to bump this.

Bought a GT 640, installed but the PC didn't recognise it.  Strange that it drew all it's power from the motherboard?

Exchanging it for a "Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 270X OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card with Boost" - I hope it's recognised this time otherwise it must be something faulty with the PC, although everything else works fine :/