Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lamp0

What's the best free PDF reader?

28 posts in this topic

I used Foxit PDF Reader for a long time, but it seems to be getting kind of hefty & there ads in it too.

Anyone recommend any other pdf readers? Or maybe it's best to just get an older version of Foxit?

3 people like this

Usually use Sumatra myself.  Very simple, not a lot of bells and whistles, but fast to render and very lightweight.  Not a good choice if you need to do PDF forms and such though.  On the plus side it also reads ePUB's, CBZ/CBR comics, and such too.

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

My wife uses Adobe, seems to have gotten a lot better than what it used to be too, but don't quote me on that.

2 people like this

Adobe largely cleaned up their bloated mess after version X, so that's what I used prior to installing Windows 8 and using the default PDF reader.

For old systems, I use Sumatra PDF. It's light, no-nonsense, and basic. Works quite well, though I've only used it on large text documents.

Moved to Software Discussion and Support.

Reader on the WinRT side and Adobe Reader on the desktop side.

I use PDF-Xchange Viewer.

Site currently undergoing maintenance as I post.

nitro reader

I use Foxit as well. Performs great at home and at work.

+1 for PDF-XChange Viewer. It comes with Explorer shell integration so Explorer Details view and Details pane PDF properties.

Adobe Reader XI.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies I have Adobe Reader set up. It seems pretty sound thus far.vI wish the default Reader app was not just a Metro app.

1 person likes this

I have both Sumatra PDF and Adobe Reader installed. Sumatra is my default but whenever I open forms I need to fill I go with Adobe. Adobe Reader is much much better than before though.

adobe reader 9

1 person likes this

Experience has told me that Adobe reader is the ONLY one who is guaranteed to show PDF's correctly with readable and properly rendered fonts all the time.

on top of that, it's search function is beyond anythign the others can dream of.

heck Adobe reader is so much better on those points and the search so important that back when I worked support on HP MFP's and our call center had ancient computers with no ram or oomph, we still used the old adobe reader instead of foxit for the service manuals 

1 person likes this

SumatraPDF: nothing's as fast or resource efficient. Yes Adobe Reader does render PDFs (slightly) better, but it's slower and bloated.

1 person likes this

Adobe Reader.

Fast, reliable, effective, no crapware. The way PDF's were intended to be read. (Y)

okular is pretty and awesome :laugh:

also it comes free of any adobe spyware

Nitro here.  Adobe when Nitro messes something up, which is rare.  

Way back in days, when I switched from my dad's machine to my personal, powerful super fast Intel Pentium - II based system, I installed Acrobat Reader... And since then i am with it, today's Version XI of Adobe Acrobat Reader seems clean but wooping 80MB in size and taking a lot of disc space is a concerned when compared to other software in the same arena...

PDF XChange Viewer for me unless I'm on older hardware and then I will use Somatra PDF. I used to use Foxit and before that Acrobat Reader 5.1 (yep before they droped Acrobat in the title with v6). Foxit seemed to just get bigger and once I tried version 5 which came with useless skins on a p3 1.4 and it had much higher cpu usage then it should I never used it again.

Well perhaps I am unfair because I'm not sure what PDF XChange Viewer is even like on a P3 1.4 but it is actually really nice when you want to open an entire semesters worth of lecture notes to study them.

Adobe Reader

Not as fast as some of the others, but it's the only one that Just Works. 

I used to use Foxit, however after various problems i switched back to Adobe Reader and found it to be a lot better than older versions.

Well Microsoft Reader is ok for basic reading on Windows 8.

Adobe Reader XI is good, but I'm assuming you want a non Adobe PDF Reader.

I really like PDF XChange Viewer http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Adobe is god.

SumatraPDF user checking in! SOOOO GOOOD! :D