Front page comment likes and dislikes that counteract each other

As I've said before, it's not gonna happen much like the fact that unlimited edits haven't returned.

Also, you guys forget that it would take a lot of work to implement an upvote downvote system. 

Technically in some situations a dislike button can act as "I agree" ...

Like on facebook..

If someone says "my cat just got ran over by a car" .. there will be a hand full of idiots that click like

at the same time I wish there was a "Dislike"

Maybe Facebook can add an "Aw, how sad" button.  :laugh:

As I've said before, it's not gonna happen much like the fact that unlimited edits haven't returned.

Also, you guys forget that it would take a lot of work to implement an upvote downvote system. 

Well I don't want the posts to be moved around. Just when someone clicks the dislike button 1 like gets subtracted. Once it hits zero it goes into the negative. Doesn't sound hard.

1L = LIkes

DL = Dislikes

Like button = 1L + 1

Dislike button = 1L-1

Not a programmer at all  if you couldn't tell.

Whether it happens or not, we can still discuss it.

warwagon, if this system should go on, then your jokes will get like -oo likes! talking about shooting in the foot... :laugh:  :rofl:

I don't like that system.

It's the same system that arstechnica uses and it's not always about quality of posts but popular opinion. I all too often see posts being hidden due to high dislikes and the post itself was of merit, just unpopular.

Also, at a psychological level, people don't like being disliked. It's much easier to deal with getting no likes than it is to get dislikes. It's the primary reason I hardly ever post on ars, and I would imagine many people feel the same way. I don't really get disliked much, but when I do, it bothers me. And you can't even ask why you were down-voted because that gets down-voted.

Overall, I don't like it. Not one bit.

I disagree about Ars.  In general, the comments you find there are more intelligent, more likely to be on topic and far more interesting than the comments and discussion we get here at Neowin.  I think that's largely down to the fact that trolls or people that don't really add much to the conversation are downvoted while people who bring something useful to a discussion are encouraged with an upvote.

Take a look at the comments on the front page here and it's usually the same small number of people trolling, adding ill-informed or completely pointless comments.  Their opinions are worthless and they probably wouldn't persist if they were regularly downvoted.  Instead, the lack of downvoting gives them a false sense of their own importance and they persist.

The forums here would also benefit from a downvote button.  It's like an echo chamber here with the same people banging on about the same nonsense year after year.

• Like 2

Well I don't want the posts to be moved around. Just when someone clicks the dislike button 1 like gets subtracted. Once it hits zero it goes into the negative. Doesn't sound hard.

1L = LIkes

DL = Dislikes

Like button = 1L + 1

Dislike button = 1L-1

Not a programmer at all  if you couldn't tell.

Well OK, I guess this is sort-of different from how I thought you originally wanted it. My mistake.

Still not sure whether the devs would want to implement this currently. You probably should have waited until after the redesign before suggesting this. :)

Whether it happens or not, we can still discuss it.

Of course, I wasn't saying that we couldn't.

If you don't agree with a comment, why not just discuss it rather than look for a button that conveys disagreement but no rationale for why?

Funny, because I clicked LIKE and then thought "your comment also applies towards the like button".  Like something yet no rationale as to why you agree?

I disagree about Ars.  In general, the comments you find there are more intelligent, more likely to be on topic and far more interesting than the comments and discussion we get here at Neowin. 

I disagree. It's just as likely to go off-topic and it's far less interesting. They are on average more educated and so can be perceived as more intelligent, but as I've said forever: The problem with smart people is they don't know they're dumb. In real life I'm friends with a lot of very highly educated people and they're about the most retarded people I've ever met. Something about dedicating all your time to a certain area really makes you oblivious to everything else.

I disagree. It's just as likely to go off-topic and it's far less interesting. They are on average more educated and so can be perceived as more intelligent, but as I've said forever: The problem with smart people is they don't know they're dumb. In real life I'm friends with a lot of very highly educated people and they're about the most retarded people I've ever met. Something about dedicating all your time to a certain area really makes you oblivious to everything else.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Ignorance is favoured here over education and it shows in the comments and the general quality of the comments.

I seem to remember that this has been suggested in the past and it was decided that it was too easy to abuse. I wouldn't want it, myself.