KFC accused of kicking out girl, 3, scarred in pit bull attack

(CNN) -- The outrage came hard and fast after a 3-year-old girl badly scarred and wearing an eye patch because of a pit bull attack was apparently asked to leave a KFC restaurant because her appearance upset other customers.

After social media users opened fire on the restaurant, calling for a boycott, the apology from the chain came quickly too.

The company said it will donate $30,000 to assist with the girl's medical bills.

"The entire KFC family is behind Victoria," company spokesman Rick Maynard said.

'Her face is disrupting our customers'

Victoria Wilcher was mauled by three pit bulls a few months ago, causing her to need regular medical treatment. After a doctor's visit last week, grandmother Kelly Mullins took the child to a KFC in Jackson, Mississippi.

Source with more and video

Yeah it's been all over facebook. Can't imagine how an employee can do that and NOT imagine the social media backlash...

Love these stories accusing a whole company for something a stupid employee did.

When you're working you're a representative for your entire company... Doesn't matter if you're the Janitor or the CEO.

When you're working you're a representative for your entire company... Doesn't matter if you're the Janitor or the CEO.

Yes, I know...then call the employee out.  It just says "They"  They could be a person or persons, or the company itself.  Just more sensational this way I guess.

while i do understand techbeck (the upper chain isn't at fault here, the employee is), the fact is that employee represents the company.

So not only that child suffered great damage from the dogs but a even more dumb dog asked her to leave? Sad.

Wholeheartedly agree. It is NO different than what I've learned in sexual harassment classes at work over the years. the excuse of not knowing what is going on in your business is no excuse. I'd say this falls directly into that category. But aside from this, this is one terribly insensitive employee

You'd think people would be more upset at the "other customers" who asked KFC to do something.  99.999% of the time, management in places like this say nothing to a customer, regardless how they look or dress until someone complains.  They were only acting on the wishes of other customers' requests.  It's the other customers who have the problem, not KFC.

You'd think people would be more upset at the "other customers" who asked KFC to do something.  99.999% of the time, management in places like this say nothing to a customer, regardless how they look or dress until someone complains.  They were only acting on the wishes of other customers' requests.  It's the other customers who have the problem, not KFC.

uh sorry that's no excuse.

The company said it will donate $30,000 to assist with the girl's medical bills.

It's a terrible thing that happened, but if that girl actually gets that money something great came out of this.

uh sorry that's no excuse.

I never said it was an excuse. The company is never in a winning situation here, no matter how they handle it.  Either the kid stays and they ###### off the other customers or the kid leaves pissing off that family and the remaining customers are happy.

Again,  the problem is with the other customers' attitude towards seeing something "different" or "strange" and not accepting it and complaining.  You'd think at least someone would stand up and say "WTF is wrong with you people that you feel so disturbed over a medical condition, that you need to complain?  It's not like the child asked to look this way, it happened to her.  Accept it and move on with your lives."

• Like 4

It's a terrible thing that happened, but if that girl actually gets that money something great came out of this.

Not enough, I"l like to see them up to 100,000 at least. 30000 doesn't even cover one operation anymore.

It's really sad story :(. Too many people in today world judge people by the looks only unfortunately :(

Yes, I know...then call the employee out.  It just says "They"  They could be a person or persons, or the company itself.  Just more sensational this way I guess.

You do not call the employee out, always the employer. They are legally responsible for employee's behavior no matter what profession it is. Period.

I understand where the employee was coming from, but I absolutely hate the actions he did, and don't condone them. But still, have some sympathy for the girl....

Love these stories accusing a whole company for something a stupid employee did.

They can blame the company until the company puts it right. 

KFC has already apologised; now all they need to do is fire the employee. In some circumstances I'd say retraining would suffice, but on this occasion the employee quite clearly doesn't have the brains to work there. 

They can blame the company until the company puts it right. 

KFC has already apologised; now all they need to do is fire the employee. In some circumstances I'd say retraining would suffice, but on this occasion the employee quite clearly doesn't have the brains to work there. 

They did more than just apologize. They also donated $30,000 to the girl to help cover medical bills. I think KFC went above and beyond with that.

Of course the employee was wrong, and I wouldn't be sad if he/she was fired, but offering to donated $30K is incredible. Others may disagree with me here, but I have a lot of respect for KFC for doing that. PR stunt or not, it doesn't change on awesome that is for the girl and her family trying to pay these bills.

• Like 3

One has to ask, did customers actually complain about the little girl, or did this idiot staff member just say that?

Personally, if a customer came to me with a similar complaint, I'd politely suggest they might be happier eating elsewhere.

• Like 3

I never said it was an excuse. The company is never in a winning situation here, no matter how they handle it.  Either the kid stays and they ###### off the other customers or the kid leaves pissing off that family and the remaining customers are happy.

Again,  the problem is with the other customers' attitude towards seeing something "different" or "strange" and not accepting it and complaining.  You'd think at least someone would stand up and say "WTF is wrong with you people that you feel so disturbed over a medical condition, that you need to complain?  It's not like the child asked to look this way, it happened to her.  Accept it and move on with your lives."

Agree that it's also a costumers fault but you can't please everybody and in this case she was definitely not the one to leave.

I've just watched the video, not having had chance before, and seen the little girls face.

Now, I still completely disagree with what that employee did, and in fact, I think the little girl isn't that badly injured at all, visually.  However, it does almost look like she might have open sores or scabbing on her face, and I can kinda see that some uptight customers might complain about that.

I've just watched the video, not having had chance before, and seen the little girls face.

Now, I still completely disagree with what that employee did, and in fact, I think the little girl isn't that badly injured at all, visually.  However, it does almost look like she might have open sores or scabbing on her face, and I can kinda see that some uptight customers might complain about that.

It's a little girl. It's not a freaking wallmart late night adult. It's a little girl that has a severely damaged face. How dumb could that employee be?

You do not call the employee out, always the employer. They are legally responsible for employee's behavior no matter what profession it is. Period.

so what if they brought a gun to work and started shooting people? there are lines...

from what i read from dozens of sites, I come to the conclusion it didn't happen. The grandma won't name a name or provide a description? why not?

so if an employee brings a gun to work and shoots someone, the company should be on trial for murder? there are limitations for different situations.

• Like 2

They did more than just apologize. They also donated $30,000 to the girl to help cover medical bills. I think KFC went above and beyond with that.

Of course the employee was wrong, and I wouldn't be sad if he/she was fired, but offering to donated $30K is incredible. Others may disagree with me here, but I have a lot of respect for KFC for doing that. PR stunt or not, it doesn't change on awesome that is for the girl and her family trying to pay these bills.

The money is part of the apology. Yes it's generous and no they did not have to do that, but they have not addressed the actual problem - the employee.