Photo

73 replies to this topic

#1 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,380 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 22:44

(CNN) -- The outrage came hard and fast after a 3-year-old girl badly scarred and wearing an eye patch because of a pit bull attack was apparently asked to leave a KFC restaurant because her appearance upset other customers.

After social media users opened fire on the restaurant, calling for a boycott, the apology from the chain came quickly too.

The company said it will donate $30,000 to assist with the girl's medical bills.

"The entire KFC family is behind Victoria," company spokesman Rick Maynard said.

'Her face is disrupting our customers'

Victoria Wilcher was mauled by three pit bulls a few months ago, causing her to need regular medical treatment. After a doctor's visit last week, grandmother Kelly Mullins took the child to a KFC in Jackson, Mississippi.

Source with more and video

#2 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• 1,640 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 June 2014 - 22:48

Yeah it's been all over facebook. Can't imagine how an employee can do that and NOT imagine the social media backlash...

#3 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,912 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 22:50

Despicable. If I owned the store I'd fire the idiot.

#4 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,849 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 22:55

Love these stories accusing a whole company for something a stupid employee did.

#5 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,154 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:03

Love these stories accusing a whole company for something a stupid employee did.

When you're working you're a representative for your entire company... Doesn't matter if you're the Janitor or the CEO.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,849 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:10

When you're working you're a representative for your entire company... Doesn't matter if you're the Janitor or the CEO.

Yes, I know...then call the employee out.  It just says "They"  They could be a person or persons, or the company itself.  Just more sensational this way I guess.

#7 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,643 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:12

while i do understand techbeck (the upper chain isn't at fault here, the employee is), the fact is that employee represents the company.

So not only that child suffered great damage from the dogs but a even more dumb dog asked her to leave? Sad.

#8 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,134 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:14

Wholeheartedly agree. It is NO different than what I've learned in sexual harassment classes at work over the years. the excuse of not knowing what is going on in your business is no excuse. I'd say this falls directly into that category. But aside from this, this is one terribly insensitive employee

#9 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,514 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:15

You'd think people would be more upset at the "other customers" who asked KFC to do something.  99.999% of the time, management in places like this say nothing to a customer, regardless how they look or dress until someone complains.  They were only acting on the wishes of other customers' requests.  It's the other customers who have the problem, not KFC.

#10 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,643 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:24

You'd think people would be more upset at the "other customers" who asked KFC to do something.  99.999% of the time, management in places like this say nothing to a customer, regardless how they look or dress until someone complains.  They were only acting on the wishes of other customers' requests.  It's the other customers who have the problem, not KFC.

uh sorry that's no excuse.

#11 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,044 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 1020 8.1

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:25

It's a sad story all the way around.

#12 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

• 437 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:44

The company said it will donate $30,000 to assist with the girl's medical bills.

It's a terrible thing that happened, but if that girl actually gets that money something great came out of this.

#13 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,514 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:50

uh sorry that's no excuse.

I never said it was an excuse. The company is never in a winning situation here, no matter how they handle it.  Either the kid stays and they ###### off the other customers or the kid leaves pissing off that family and the remaining customers are happy.

Again,  the problem is with the other customers' attitude towards seeing something "different" or "strange" and not accepting it and complaining.  You'd think at least someone would stand up and say "WTF is wrong with you people that you feel so disturbed over a medical condition, that you need to complain?  It's not like the child asked to look this way, it happened to her.  Accept it and move on with your lives."

#14 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

• 7,229 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 15:43

It's a terrible thing that happened, but if that girl actually gets that money something great came out of this.

Not enough, I"l like to see them up to 100,000 at least. 30000 doesn't even cover one operation anymore.

It's really sad story :(. Too many people in today world judge people by the looks only unfortunately :(

#15 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

• 1,715 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 15:57

Yes, I know...then call the employee out.  It just says "They"  They could be a person or persons, or the company itself.  Just more sensational this way I guess.

You do not call the employee out, always the employer. They are legally responsible for employee's behavior no matter what profession it is. Period.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!