Photo

New AV required

antivirus quick heal

40 replies to this topic

#1 qqamresh

qqamresh

Neowinian

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:44

Hi guys...I am currently using Norton AV and its failing to perform the relevant scans & plus my its slowed my system down considerably. I have been suggested Quick heal. Do you guys have any other suggestions? 

#2 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:54

I'm a fan of Avast. I used to be an advocate of AVG but it has become bloated and slow over the years.

#3 +i11usive

i11usive

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S5

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:55

Sophos .. great A/V solution (http://www.sophos.com)

#4 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:56

After going back and forth on several different AV products I'm currently using Avast and am pretty happy with it.

I will add that when I tried the most recent version of NAV I found it had pretty minimal impact on the system. Are you sure it's that affecting system performance?

#5 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:58

bitdefender

#6 jupe

jupe

Neowinian

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:10

AVAST, MSSE or NOD32

#7 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:20

Avast if you're going for a free one, NOD32 if you don't mind paying. NOD32 is fantastic since it has proper defaults, doesn't bug you, is really fast yet really secure. And has a ton of advanced configuration possibilities so you can tune it exactly to how you want it.

#8 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:26

anti-virus is dead. It only detects them after the fact never before, missing over half of them completely. symantec was the company who actually said this and I'm in agreement. Malware protection is more suiting these days. Even Eugene Kaspersky said, "I fully agree that single-layer signature-based virus scanning is nowhere near a sufficient degree of protection - not for individuals, not for organizations large or small; however, that's been the case for many years." 

link: http://www.engadget....antivirus-dead/

#9 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:36

anti-virus is dead. It only detects them after the fact never before, symantec was the company who actually said this and I'm in agreement. Malware protection is more suiting these days.

Symantec only said this to try and promote their product at the same time as undermining their shortcomings.

FWIW, an AV solution's chief job is to keep infections out, thats why most experts will tell you to use a 1-2 punch: a good A/V & mbam

A/V is far from dead - you just need better A/V, thats all.

Get webroot's Secure Anywhere - trust me.

I have it installed on about 35 machines, and NEVER have to deal with infections.  Some of these employees used to get infected every week & it was taking up all of my time - I moved them to this after talking to a friend @ Cisco (they helped with the cloud aspect) and researching - I installed it and havent looked back.  PC Mag gave it the highest rating ever for A/V software.  And, it has the smallest footprint out of all A/V software on the market.

Eset is also good, but I found it to slow down a machine a little, and the GUI was too complicated for regular users.

#10 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 4 (IOS7.1.1)

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:56

Avast for free, paid for Kaspersky or Eset NOD32.  I've personally used both Eset and Kaspersky and don't think you will have a problem with either, just remember to remove the old one first.

#11 macstar

macstar

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:02

anti-virus is dead. It only detects them after the fact never before, missing over half of them completely. symantec was the company who actually said this and I'm in agreement. Malware protection is more suiting these days. Even Eugene Kaspersky said, "I fully agree that single-layer signature-based virus scanning is nowhere near a sufficient degree of protection - not for individuals, not for organizations large or small; however, that's been the case for many years." 

link: http://www.engadget....antivirus-dead/

i agree with this. the problem is, windows has had and still has fundamentally security flaws.

the best way to prevent any infection is to have a good firewall, don't touch any suspicious email attachment, using an up2date webbrowser and praying that microsoft is patching and updating its own OS fast ennough.

also wasn't there this online virus scanner years ago, which scanned your hdd with the signatures of most common anti virus software? i remember having used that one during my xp years.

#12 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:06

Sophos .. great A/V solution (http://www.sophos.com)

^^^This or Microsoft Security Essentials. If you have Windows 8 or 8.1 its already built in as Windows Defender.

#13 +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:14

I'm actually trying webroot, forgot about this software long time ago. lol

#14 Ficman

Ficman

49,000,004 n00b's served...

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:30

ESET Nod32    Great AV

#15 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:31

I use the triple-threat of MSE, Malwarebytes Antimalware and common sense. Thus far the combo seems to do the job.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!