New AV required

antivirus quick heal

40 replies to this topic

#31 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: s4

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:21

It depends what sort of computer user you are. Common sense version 2 goes a long way to stoping infections in the first place, and if your not sure use a light virtualization program like Sandboxie.

For all those recommending Avast  :rofl:   Only joking that could be pretty much any Anti - Malware interface!

They won't hear you. Been telling them for years and they still don't get it.

#32 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:31

I totally agree 100% that common sense is the single best A/V you can have.  Before I switched everything I have over to Secure Anywhere, I didnt run an A/V for 2 years.  I figured if I stumbled on a bad site, or bad file, I knew what to do to clean it.

From everything I have seen in the field, MSE has sucked.  Not McAfee or AVG kind of suckage, just not good.  KAV was good, but heavy on resources.  Eset always good, Avast a great free solution.

When I spent a little time with webroot's engineers who worked with Cisco - I couldnt help but being impressed & it hasnt let me down, as I control about 30 computers on my key codes & they never get infected.

Again, it might just be they are safe (boring) users - I cant say 100% its the A/V doing its job.  However, the awards it has won since I started using it was quite vindicating since I went out on a limb and recommended something right after a complete product overhaul/launch.

What you are seeing is the difference from a virus & other types of malware.

This is where someone will say "Oh because you need to upgrade to the total solution, not just the A/V"

LOL

Actually you need to enable PUP scanning in avast.

I use Avast on 90% of my computers but on my couch computer i've been testing out 360 Total Security and it's Very good and very quiet.

#33 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: s4

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:46

I use Avast on 90% of my computers but on my couch computer i've been testing out 360 Total Security and it's Very good and very quiet.

I have been testing that 360 out and it is suprising me so far. I have been a strong advocate of malwarebytes Real Time protection but this 360 (so far) has been equal in everyway except free! I hope it stays that way.

#34 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:21

I have been testing that 360 out and it is suprising me so far. I have been a strong advocate of malwarebytes Real Time protection but this 360 (so far) has been equal in everyway except free! I hope it stays that way.

Do tell. 

#35 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2014 - 15:04

PUP and PUA where both turned on on this machine (i do it as a matter of recourse on all machines done) but Avast (latest sigs and engine, etc) just completely missed them when the owner just clicked Next -> Next ->Next or updated his flash or whatever!

So much for Evo/DynaGen and all that, i swear imo Avast is getting worse every edition!

#36 monkeylove

monkeylove

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2014 - 15:13

I used the results given in sites like

http://www.av-test.org

and selected the free version of 360 Internet Security.

#37 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:08

Do tell. 

Yesterday I had a customer call about a computer that was hit with some malware / virus

I uploaded one of the exe's to virustotal 10 out of the 52 Antiviruses detected the virus. Which is always a good place to start. Because Kaspersky was one of the ones that didn't detect it. So had I run the Kaspersky rescue disc, it would have been a waste of time.

So I ran a full scan with 360 Total Security. It detected 6 items. The full scan really didn't take that long. After that the system was working much better. No more random exe's running.

Im becoming more and more impressed with 360 Total Security..

#38 raspieyes

raspieyes

Neowinian

Posted 28 June 2014 - 19:49

Avast is free and secure, it does a great job - why not try it out?

#39 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 28 June 2014 - 20:03

I myself use Avast (as to many other people from reading this thread) Its a nice product and has been rather solid for years.

OP Perhaps maybe check out this poll.

http://www.neowin.ne...antivirus-2014/

MSE and Avast are the top on it BTW.

I used to use just MSE until Microsoft suggested adding an additional AV to your computer if you were just running it.

#40 OP qqamresh

qqamresh

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:48

Hey guys,

Thanks for your able suggestions. I have finally decided to go for quick heal and to run malwarebytes as and when the need arises.

Thanks a ton

#41 xrobwx

xrobwx

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:56

After going back and forth on several different AV products I'm currently using Avast and am pretty happy with it.

I will add that when I tried the most recent version of NAV I found it had pretty minimal impact on the system. Are you sure it's that affecting system performance?

I use NAV and it doesn't affect my system performance at all. Matter of fact, I get 200 FPS in Battlefield 4 after installing NAV. I was using Bitdefender and absolutely hated the UI and was getting 170 FPS in said game. It very well could be that Bitdefender was affecting something that is not directly related to the Video systems that indirectly caused the FPS drop.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!