90 minute CD-RW

antsy - i dont think anyone has any clue what youre trying to do, or put on these CDs. If you want to resurrect your thread from last June and keep it open we're going to need some better information.

just my 2c - yes, we all know optical media is being phased out. we all know that people rarely use media these days. that doesnt mean that it's not still applicable or practical. i just burned a couple DVDs here at work last week. We needed to get several GBs of data to someone and sending over the internet was not an option. Blank DVDs are very cheap, so we just mailed them to the person instead of using a hard drive or thumb drive.

^ valid.. I just ordered some bluray and mdisc for use in archive of pictures and home videos, as part of my overall DR plan since you can not replace this sort of file.. It needs to be backed up, archived, off site storage in multiple locations.  Optical media is still a very cheap leg in the overall plan of not loosing your critical data.

Roughly 50 cents a bluray, and $3 for the 1000 year mdisc is way cheaper than a thumbdrive or disk storage at .02 cents a gig for bluray compared to say .06 per GB on TB disk.  So I can have these bluray disks in multiple homes in the family..  This allows them to have a copy of the video's and also provide a copy in case of loss of the other copies.  The mdisc should not have to worry about possible degrade of disk sitting on the shelf.  From the way I read it I should be able to store them in the back window of my car and be ok ;)  Sun, heat, cold should not be an issue.

Files on multiple disks, files on multiple servers in the cloud, multiple copies on optical and mdisc.. These files should be secure ;)