Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 2

Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 2

Alongside iOS 8 beta 2, Apple today released a new version of OS X Yosemite, just over two weeks after initially introducing the operating system at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update, Developer Preview 2, has a build number of 14A261i, and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store or the Mac Dev Center.

osxyosemite-800x229.jpg

OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with an emphasis on translucency, along with a slew of new features, including improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity. It also includes a new "Today" view in Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search that offers new data sources, and several new features for apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

OS X Yosemite is currently only available to developers, but Apple plans to offer a beta version of the software to Mac users at some point during the summer. A public release of OS X Yosemite is expected in the fall, after several additional beta iterations.

New Features:

- Photo Booth: Photo Booth, which was missing from the first Yosemite beta, has now returned.

photobooth.jpg

- Time Machine: Time Machine has a redesigned interface that removes the stars. (via 9to5Mac).

timemachine.jpg

- Settings: There's a new Settings icon.

settingsicon.png

Source: Mac Rumours

The settings icon was in DP1

Safari seems less buggy. DP1 was doing something weird with Facebook when I used the messenger parts (jumping around the page). That's stopped now

The settings icon was in DP1

Safari seems less buggy. DP1 was doing something weird with Facebook when I used the messenger parts (jumping around the page). That's stopped now

The general design of the icon hasn't changed, but the actual icon itself changed from rectangular (DP1) to square (DP2).

If you use 'digital' as the time display it doesn't seem to actually display the time..

Yes same problem here, just tells me it's Tuesday but that is it

Yes same problem here, just tells me it's Tuesday but that is it

Works for me:

post-1302-0-52261000-1403032569.png

well crap no dark theme yet!

For dark theme, try this in terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark

If you use 'digital' as the time display it doesn't seem to actually display the time..

Happening to me, too. Time on its own will display, as will time with date and day, but not day and time.

Might be because of the non-English region.

For dark theme, try this in terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark

Menu bar extras aren't readable yet... Otherwise, not bad. I like it.

Speaking of "chrome" they've gone a bit nuts with transparency in this update. The UI for Safari, Preview etc gets tinted with the window contents. It's a bit much.

I'm pretty sure it's new, though it might not be, when working in full screen apps, when you make the menu appear the standard window Close, Minimise, Full Screen buttons appear (attached screenshots show Parallels and Safari running full-screen)

post-27111-0-15647800-1403058042.jpg

post-27111-0-23319700-1403058048.jpg

I really like the flat look. Is the menu bar actually pink, though?

It's translucent, so it should take whatever color your desktop picture is. You can also set it to be opaque. This has actually been a property of the menu bar since Leopard.

It's translucent, so it should take whatever color your desktop picture is. You can also set it to be opaque. This has actually been a property of the menu bar since Leopard.

Ah, ok... I was going by virtorio's screenshots :)

OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X

- Settings: There's a new Settings icon.

settingsicon.png

Is that "flatter look" limited to chrome? The new Settings icon is anything but "flat".

- Time Machine: Time Machine has a redesigned interface that removes the stars. (via 9to5Mac).

timemachine.jpg

The today(now) and cancel bar still use iOS 6 texture that kinda feel inconsistent for the UI. The galaxy theme is gone   :shifty:

Is that "flatter look" limited to chrome? The new Settings icon is anything but "flat".

Much of the UI is still work in progress. In general they are aiming for a flat design for windows and icons though. I would expect a lot more UI polishing between now and release to App Store.

I'm pretty sure it's new, though it might not be, when working in full screen apps, when you make the menu appear the standard window Close, Minimise, Full Screen buttons appear (attached screenshots show Parallels and Safari running full-screen)

Seeing that you have yosemite running in parallels.  How is the performance? I tried it with vmware fusion and could barely do anything.

Seeing that you have yosemite running in parallels.  How is the performance? I tried it with vmware fusion and could barely do anything.

Seems to be running absolutely fine.

I did have a couple of kernel panics on 10.10 when I tried to run two VMs at once, but after this update I can run multiple without issue.