I upgrade and lose features?

So an "upgrade" should be called sidegrade. :P Because the features are DIFFERENT, not necessarily improved. Although marketing succeeds in brainwashing people without independent thinking to be convinced that it's really improved.

So an "upgrade" should be called sidegrade. :p Because the features are DIFFERENT, not necessarily improved. Although marketing succeeds in brainwashing people without independent thinking to be convinced that it's really improved.

Opinion of course. A few annoyances aside (which are easily changed) things have improved by far over the past few versions. Between XP through 8.1, XP has the worst start menu, the worst file manager, the worst performance, the worst stability, the worst feature set over all. I have one system left that runs XP (an old first gen UMPC that barely runs, well, anything) and going back from 8 or 7 to that is just painful.. definitely not worth keeping around just for MovieMaker... which runs on later versions of Windows still by the way, just need to register the COM components and away you go. Lack of flexibility? Nope. I'm still able to change the look, shell, addons, etc etc in 8.1U1 exactly the same way as I do in XP. Sorely wish ClassicShell's start menu was XP compatible lol. (Seriously.. consider it a feature request. XP's menu blows.)

Calling people brainwashed because you don't agree with them is a bit arrogant...

Jeez you give people practically the same virtualisation platform on server 2012 for free and they still find a way to complain because they are ignorant of how to use it, in some cases wilfully...

In previous versions of Hyper-V, the way to copy files to and from a virtual machine was by using a Remote Desktop Connection session or a network file copy, but these solutions require a working network connection. When connecting to a virtual machine by using the Virtual Machine Connection tool, you could copy only a limited amount of ASCII text to the virtual machine.

Enhanced session mode allows you to redirect local resources to a virtual machine in the same way that you can with a remote desktop connection, but you do not need a network connection to the virtual machine. You need to connect only to the server where the virtual machine is running.

Enhanced session mode can be useful in the following scenarios:
? Troubleshooting a virtual machine without a network connection to the virtual machine

? Signing in to the virtual machine by using a smart card

? Printing from a virtual machine to a local printer

? Testing and troubleshooting developer applications running in a virtual machine that require USB and sound redirection without using Remote Desktop Connection.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282274.aspx

Jeez you give people practically the same virtualisation platform on server 2012 for free and they still find a way to complain because they are ignorant of how to use it, in some cases wilfully...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282274.aspx

Enhanced Session Mode

The enhanced session mode in Windows Server 2012 R2 allows Virtual Machine Connection in Hyper-V to redirect local resources in a Virtual Machine Connection session. In previous versions of Hyper-V, Virtual Machine Connection allowed redirection of only the virtual machine screen, keyboard, and mouse with limited copy functionality. As a workaround, administrators had to initiate a remote desktop connection session. Now any of the following local resources can be redirected when using Virtual Machine Connection.

• Display configuration
  • Audio
  • Printers
  • Clipboard
  • Smart cards
  • Drives
  • USB devices
  • Supported Plug and Play devices

NOTE: Currently only Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 guest operating systems support the enhanced session mode connections.

Which requires guest integration services to be enabled.

You do not need RDP to copy paste....

after you install guest services, you can use the Copy-VMFile cmdlet, or attach a share to the vm that's linked to whatever folder your stuff is in.

Copy-VMFile ?Test VM? -SourcePath ?D:\Test.txt? -DestinationPath ?C:\Temp\Test.txt? -CreateFullPath -FileSource Host

1.) Use Virtualbox

2.) Don't use IE11

Next !

Hmmm

1) Installed Virtualbox plus it's additions and although I have copy and paste set to bi-directional I am not able to move files, only text.  Drag and drop simply doesnt work, even thought that is also set to bi-directional.  I have reinstalled, rebooted, all the usual stuff - it works and then it stops - it's just too unstable when it comes to those functions. 

2) I sometimes use Chrome but when it comes to RoboForm it's rubbish plus they are so interested in keeping things minimal Ui wise that you basically have limited control over where anything is.

Unfortunately Ive just realised Hyper-V needs a 64 bit Windows install - I'm on 32 bit so I can not pursue anything related to that anymore. 

Hmmm

1) Installed Virtualbox plus it's additions and although I have copy and paste set to bi-directional I am not able to move files, only text.  Drag and drop simply doesnt work, even thought that is also set to bi-directional.  I have reinstalled, rebooted, all the usual stuff - it works and then it stops - it's just too unstable when it comes to those functions. 

2) I sometimes use Chrome but when it comes to RoboForm it's rubbish plus they are so interested in keeping things minimal Ui wise that you basically have limited control over where anything is.

Unfortunately Ive just realised Hyper-V needs a 64 bit Windows install - I'm on 32 bit so I can not pursue anything related to that anymore. 

Yeah, sticking to Virtualbox is your best bet. Hyper-V is hypervisor only so it requires a CPU with VT-x. Virtualbox also supports it but it's not required.

On a side note, Virtual PC isn't really a removed feature. It was a standalone product, they just abandoned it in favor or Hyper-V.

Everybody likes to link those pages and always fail to mention all the new things that get added too.

And XP always gets skipped too.

List of features removed in Windows XP - Wikipedia entry

Not exactly a new trend. Stuff gets added, stuff gets removed.

Please do not put me in the same group. As you know, I am a major supporter of Windows Vista (there's a lot to like in later versions as well, but Vista is, to me, the most significant).

Yeah, sticking to Virtualbox is your best bet. Hyper-V is hypervisor only so it requires a CPU with VT-x. Virtualbox also supports it but it's not required.

On a side note, Virtual PC isn't really a removed feature. It was a standalone product, they just abandoned it in favor or Hyper-V.

Only problem is, as much as I'm willing it to, Virtualbox isnt doing what it says on the tin when it comes to drag and drop or copy and paste

Only problem is, as much as I'm willing it to, Virtualbox isnt doing what it says on the tin when it comes to drag and drop or copy and paste

Try VMware workstation. They have preview licenses for bug testers and a 30 day free trial.

http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation

Try VMware workstation. They have preview licenses for bug testers and a 30 day free trial.

Means I end up paying though. A VM on VirtualPC was ideal and free from MS. I could understand no longer having the option if I was using a different OS but I'm using their latest and greatest. I'm not a happy customer. More and more I find the person I was back in 1999/2000 (that was jealous when a friend had Win ME) is now someone that would actively stay away from MS products as I don't believe they are consistent or have their current loyal customers at their heart.

VMware Player is completely free.

I'm not a happy customer. More and more I find the person I was back in 1999/2000 (that was jealous when a friend had Win ME) is now someone that would actively stay away from MS products.

A 32-bit OS is NOT their latest and greatest. What kind of hardware system are you even using that you're stuck with a 32-bit OS? The same that you used back in 1999/2000?

A 32-bit OS is NOT their latest and greatest. What kind of hardware system are you even using that you're stuck with a 32-bit OS? The same that you used back in 1999/2000?

I'm sorry, I thought 8.1 was the most up to date?

Personally I need snapshots, vm teams, cloning, and integration with vSphere, but yes, you are correct. =P

(I wouldn't recommend not using snapshots for test VMs...)

Personally I need snapshots, vm teams, cloning, and integration with vSphere, but yes, you are correct. =P

He can just copy paste the vhd.

ahahaha. I needed that. Thanks.

ahahaha. I needed that. Thanks.

I laugh at you for using vSphere, but hey, whatever.

He was using freaking VirtualPC before, for crap's sake.

I laugh at you for using vSphere, but hey, whatever.

He was using freaking VirtualPC before, for crap's sake.

I laugh at myself for using vSphere (not too often, but it's still necessary), especially considering I have an MCS in Hyper-V/SC2012.  If I could convince the powers that be to change the hypervisor infrastructure at my workplace, I absolutely would.

#2) This is very true. =P Point taken.

I would seriously suggest workstation (or player, if you don't use snapshots)(you'll still need to install the latest vmware tools) if you don't have a 64-bit edition of win 8.1.

Other than that, upgrade and use Hyper-V (if possible, processor/board have to support it), enable guest integration, enable enhanced session, and map a network drive on the machine to a shared folder.

A 32-bit OS is NOT their latest and greatest. What kind of hardware system are you even using that you're stuck with a 32-bit OS? The same that you used back in 1999/2000?

I laugh at myself for using vSphere (not too often, but it's still necessary), especially considering I have an MCS in Hyper-V/SC2012.  If I could convince the powers that be to change the hypervisor infrastructure at my workplace, I absolutely would.

#2) This is very true. =P Point taken.

I would seriously suggest workstation (or player, if you don't use snapshots)(you'll still need to install the latest vmware tools) if you don't have a 64-bit edition of win 8.1.

Other than that, upgrade and use Hyper-V (if possible, processor/board have to support it), enable guest integration, enable enhanced session, and map a network drive on the machine to a shared folder.

Im a n00b @ Vm stuff in a production enviro.  Other than messing around with some Linux VMs I know just the basics.  My old job used vSphere Esxi 5.1 I think... what was laugh-worthy about that ?  If there is something wrong, I'd love to know what to change to if asked...

Im a n00b @ Vm stuff in a production enviro.  Other than messing around with some Linux VMs I know just the basics.  My old job used vSphere Esxi 5.1 I think... what was laugh-worthy about that ?  If there is something wrong, I'd love to know what to change to if asked...

Nothing, at least from my side. I was just hitting on his post.

If a virtualisation solution works for you the way you want, there is no reason to change what you're doing. And since we're talking about upgrading from VirtualPC, anything is better.

I have issues with using VMware as my specialty is in Microsoft solutions, and I prefer the management consoles of those products over that of VMware. Simply personal preference.

There are many who will say that VMware solutions are much better, although costlier, but both perform essentially the same function, in slightly different ways, and it just depends on what specific things you're looking for (there are some things that Hyper-V can't do that VMware does, and vice versa), and what you're familiar with. I'm sure the management team has it's reasons for picking VMware, as did mine.

If you'd like to play around with it, and have a spare 64-bit box, Hyper-V server is free, you do have to license all of the VM's that are running on the box though.

Nothing, at least from my side. I was just hitting on his post.

If a virtualisation solution works for you the way you want, there is no reason to change what you're doing. And since we're talking about upgrading from VirtualPC, anything is better.

Yep =D