Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 for new build

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Why should I change?

I have an un opened copy of 8.1 that I can't return once opened so I need to make a decision? Like XP users I feel no reason to leave what works. Not to sound old yet I feel strange putting a 5 year old OS on an i7 with raid 0 ssd.

What does 8.1 give me that 7 doesn't? I know I hate the GUI and need aero and a start menu replacement but is there anything else? What are charms? Can I run metro apps in a tile? Can I search by category on the desktop?

Or should I just stick with stable well tested 7?

Posted

What part of 8.1 is not stable? Why stick with an outdated operating system? What advantage do you hope to gain by sticking with 7?

Posted

personally if you can adjust to strart screen then win 8.1

but if you have a purchased win 7 copy or own it then you can skip switching to 8.1

1 person likes this

Posted

It is highly LIKELY that the user in question is simply biased toward the Start menu - after all, said Start menu has been around all that time.

Some folks, despite protestations otherwise, are plain and simply change-averse.

1 person likes this

Posted

Advantage of windows 8.1 over 7; better trim support on SSD, windows 8.1 actually detects its a SSD and turns off features that could cause unnecessary writes.

2 people like this

Posted

if you already have a copy of Windows 8 then no reason to trade it back in for something older. especially if you already know you can still modify it to your liking

Glass8 to restore glass and any start menu replacement app of your choice (Start8, Classic Shell, & StartIsBack being the most popular)

1 person likes this

Posted

Since Start Menu will come back in Windows 8.1 Update 2 this summer... Go for Windows 8.1 and wait...

1 person likes this

Posted

I love the 8.1 start screen! Some do and some don't. I never understood the  complaints. In windows 7 you would click on start and then either your program if it was pinned or all programs and click through the groupings.  In windows 8 you do the same with less clicks!

Go with the latest and if you feel you need to have the windows 7 look there are tools to get that close.

1 person likes this

Posted

Go with XP, it works perfectly.

5 people like this

Posted

Advantage of windows 8.1 over 7; better trim support on SSD, windows 8.1 actually detects its a SSD and turns off features that could cause unnecessary writes.

Ssds are detected fine under 7 as such. I was under the impression you need the Intel driver for trim in an ssd raid whether 7 or 8?

Posted

Ssds are detected fine under 7 as such. I was under the impression you need the Intel driver for trim in an ssd raid whether 7 or 8?

Windows 7 still defrags ssd's thinking it's a hdd compared to win8 which will trim the ssd instead of defrag if I remember correctly.

Posted

Posted

Windows 7 still defrags ssd's thinking it's a hdd compared to win8 which will trim the ssd instead of defrag if I remember correctly.

Nah, that was Vista. Win 7 will properly recognize a SSD, disabled defragmentation on it. Enable trim, and a few other smaller changes to file system indexing. No real difference in how Win7 vs 8 handles SSD.

As for Win7 vs 8, like Metro, plan to use Touch input frequently? Dislike Aero Glass?

Use Windows 8

Dislike Metro?  Like Aero Glass?  Touch isn't a concern?  Use Windows 7.

Other differences are marginal, and won't make a huge difference. Newer version of DirectX but that's meaningful. Shadow Volume Copy/Previous versions is restricted to only desktop/libraries rather then entire HDD as in Win7. Win8 uses hybrid boot for quicker start times, but that comes with some draw backs so it's a bit of a trade off, and easily disabled if it doesn't suit you. You lose desktop gadgets in Win8, but gain Metro apps. etc.

For most people it's essentially going to come down to whether you like the UI changes.

I prefer 7, other people like 8. Just preference, largely determined by whether your using touch and how you like the UI changes. There are a million heated arguments on this and every other forum over Win8. I suggest avoiding it all and picking whichever one has the UI you prefer.

3 people like this

Posted

will glass 8 work with update 1?

if you already have a copy of Windows 8 then no reason to trade it back in for something older. especially if you already know you can still modify it to your liking

Glass8 to restore glass and any start menu replacement app of your choice (Start8, Classic Shell, & StartIsBack being the most popular)

Posted

8.1 for the frequently mentioned SSD functionality and if you have a copy of 8.1 Pro there's Hyper-V for VM's and BitLocker for internal and removable drive encryption.

Posted

Do yourself a favor and go Windows 8.1. There's a bit of negativity but must of it comes from biased bloggers and people who haven't even given it a fair try. Windows 8.1 is a great OS, once you get used to its changes, and that isn't hard at all. If my underage kids could do it in less than 10 minutes (coming from a Windows 7 system), then I believe that anyone can do it.

4 people like this

Posted

yes, http://www.glass8.eu/ supports both 8.0 and 8.1(update 1 included)

Posted

yes. BigMuscle is good about keeping it working if an update breaks it (which is very rare)

edit: just beaten by Seahorsepip lol :)

Posted

Go with XP, it works perfectly.

LMAO... Sarcastic comment :D

On the topic: Go for 8.1, you can install start8 and make the classic windows 7 start menu in 8.1

Posted

Sticking with 8.1. After a week I downloaded start8 but uninstalled it. I adopted after I put same background BUT GLASS 8 is a MUST.

Office 2013 I can NOT USE. IT'S soo blinding white and full screen. Guess I have to pay twice because greedy MS won't offer 2010 in 365 so they can force changes

Posted

Sticking with 8.1. After a week I downloaded start8 but uninstalled it. I adopted after I put same background BUT GLASS 8 is a MUST.

Office 2013 I can NOT USE. IT'S soo blinding white and full screen. Guess I have to pay twice because greedy MS won't offer 2010 in 365 so they can force changes

File > Options > General

From there you can change the Office Theme to darker colors that are easier on the eyes

Posted

Still no contrast, too light and with borders gone distracts rather than enhances focus on content. Why are colors sooo wrong? I want my skuemorphism back

Posted

What part of 8.1 is not stable? Why stick with an outdated operating system? What advantage do you hope to gain by sticking with 7?

Windows 7 is not an out dated OS.

1 person likes this

Posted

Windows 7 is not an out dated OS.

There is a newer version out. Hence the older version is outdated

Posted

There is a newer version out. Hence the older version is outdated

The way you said it made it sound like a negative.