Usb corrupted with important work

Question

my usb has just corrupted and need to be reformatted and it had important work on it and i cannot remember if i made a back up at college and really need to get the work back. is there anyway to do this?

5 answers to this question

Before using any recovery software, check to see if the USB drive works in another computer.

If it doesn't work...

You could try Recuva it is free, https://www.piriform.com/recuva

But make sure you don't write anything to your USB drive, as it may overwrite any files your trying to recover.

And don't format or reparation it, as it will make it harder to recover data from.

Before using any recovery software, check to see if the USB drive works in another computer.

If it doesn't work...

You could try Recuva it is free, https://www.piriform.com/recuva

But make sure you don't write anything to your USB drive, as it may overwrite any files your trying to recover.

And don't format or reparation it, as it will make it harder to recover data from.

Recuva is what I normally use.  I had a user whose SD card in her phone said it needed to be formated.  I ran recuva DEEP SCAN and got most of her files back.  Windows couldnt read the SD but Recuva did just fine.  Have to change settings for deep scan in order to recover the files you need.  Also good idea to change the settings so it restores the files in the exact folder structure they were in.

Your USB is corrupted ...

What type of USB? A usb key? An external hd?

Corrupted how? You can't see the drive? You can't open any file? You can't open some office documents?

If it's an external HD and you can't see it in windows then the drive itself is almost surely still working. Just remove it from the enclosure and plug it inside the PC. If you can see the drive but you got corrupted data because you unplugged the disk or key while it was writing data (or any other reason) then it might not be recoverable. Like some said you could try to recover some part using Recuva (be sure to not recover any data on the same drive so you don't overwrite them while recovering them). If it is an office document you could try tools to recover it. Sometime you can recover part of the text without the formatting. You can try Office's own open and repair feature or any other tools you could find. You can also try an error checking on the drive. Select the drive, properties and then tools and finally Error checking.