Crysis developer Crytek denies "verge of bankruptcy" claim

For those who feel a bit nostalgic about Crysis (the original, real Crysis), and have a spare graphics card, try this rather pretty mod.

You'll need the spare graphics card to replace your freshly-created molten slag-heap that results when you actually try to run this mod with everything set at full settings and try to maintain a decent framerate. 

For those who feel a bit nostalgic about Crysis (the original, real Crysis), and have a spare graphics card, try this rather pretty mod.

You'll need the spare graphics card to replace your freshly-created molten slag-heap that results when you actually try to run this mod with everything set at full settings and try to maintain a decent framerate. 

trully looks amazing, but still has some bugs...

While Far Cry was great, I found Crysis to be thoroughly mediocre once you looked past the shiny graphics. 

What exactly is so mediocre about it? It is certainly better game mechanics-wise than everything else apart from Battlefield 4. The only thing it does weaker than the other five billion generic FPS copy-paste craps is that it doesn't have a well developed multiplayer community.

That is what you get by having mediocre graphics in Crysis 2, not having Crysis 3 on Steam, and getting in bed with EA.

EA are their publishers, just like EA were publishers of Valve's games. They were not contracted nor owned by EA, but were part of their EA Partners program. That is most definitely not getting in bed with EA.

EDIT: What you could say is that they were in bed with Ubisoft during Far Cry's development, since they didn't actually own the rights of the game, so had to follow the rights owner's guidelines pretty tight.

What exactly is so mediocre about it? It is certainly better game mechanics-wise than everything else apart from Battlefield 4. The only thing it does weaker than the other five billion generic FPS copy-paste craps is that it doesn't have a well developed multiplayer community.

The Storyline, the writing, the characters. The Gameplay had nice things like the open free areas where you could swap tactics, stealth/brute force. Backed up by modding weapons/suit powerups. But outside of that, the combat was meh. The AI was incredibly stupid.

The Storyline, the writing, the characters. The Gameplay had nice things like the open free areas where you could swap tactics, stealth/brute force. Backed up by modding weapons/suit powerups. But outside of that, the combat was meh. The AI was incredibly stupid.

The storyline, the writing and the characters are just the same as every single other FPS out there, excluding things like Metro, Stalker, and similar games that don't even fall in the same category. (yes, they are FPS, but I do not consider them part of the generic FPS "genre" which includes more or less most of the highly selling AAA titles of the last decade)

I guess if you compare the game to the whole spectrum of FPS games, then I agree.

Maybe they kept pouring money into everything in a folder called "Rysk Avoydance" thinking it was the next big franchise after someone spelled it wrong - or more like spelled it using Crytek language. OK lame joke!

Really wish them all the best, the Yerli brothers may be a tad on the cocky side and think everyone should be able to afford $2500 PCs, but in recent years they've mellowed out, with good support for diverse platforms. And Ryse was an awesome game, no idea why people keep saying it's mediocre - i think most naysayers never actually played it. It was a tight, well-written and acted hack and slash, with repetitive but addictive gameplay and nonsense history that was made all the better thanks to superb voice acting that took scenery chewing to good places. On a technical level it was competent, but not amazing. Most people seem to think the opposite. The visuals were good, but even the credits admitted this was 360 Project Kingdoms ported to X1.

Ryse is not mediocre. It's just nothing special (except the gfx of course).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but there's really nothing that makes it a very good game. It's got gorgeous graphics, but the gameplay is very much a one-note affair, and the multiplayer is atrocious. To top it off, they haven't bothered patching some issues with the game and instead are churning out DLC (which, given their allged financial situation, makes more sense now).

It's fun, but not as fun as it could have been, and it's certainly not going to give you enough replayability as a game like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but there's really nothing that makes it a very good game. It's got gorgeous graphics, but the gameplay is very much a one-note affair, and the multiplayer is atrocious. To top it off, they haven't bothered patching some issues with the game and instead are churning out DLC (which, given their allged financial situation, makes more sense now).

It's fun, but not as fun as it could have been, and it's certainly not going to give you enough replayability as a game like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3.

Criticizing Ryse? I. AM. VENGEANCE. YOU. ARE. NEX...WRONG :laugh:

Loved Ryse! One of the few games i've ever done the MP three times in a row (granted it wasn't too long).

The so-called MP you're right about, it was boring, just co-op horde mode against the same five dude types. The announcer though was most assuredly spectacular, the likes of wheeeech..... have.... neverrrrr.... been seen!

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

Crytek, the developer behind Crysis and Xbox One launch game Ryse, is having trouble paying employees, and the company has been bleeding staff since March, according to people who work there.

In addition, from what I hear, the multi-national studio has had to cancel work on multiple games over the past few months, including some original prototypes and a sequel to last fall's Xbox One exclusive, Ryse. 

Current and former Crytek employees describe a tense, unstable environment, plagued by poor communication and a number of high-level staff departures at the company's biggest studios in Germany and Britain. In extensive conversations over the past few weeks, developers have described a company in turmoil, where staff openly talk about leaving or looking for new jobs. One employee estimates that some 100 people have left over the past three months.

My complaint over FarCry would be their AI script:

include <playerone.h>

int main()

while(1) {
  if ( playerone.distance <= 4000000 || playerone.roundfired ) {
    while(playerone.stillbreathes) {
      get_him(playerone.name);
    }
    load(playerone.lastcheckpoint);
  }
}

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

Crytek, the developer behind Crysis and Xbox One launch game Ryse, is having trouble paying employees, and the company has been bleeding staff since March, according to people who work there.

In addition, from what I hear, the multi-national studio has had to cancel work on multiple games over the past few months, including some original prototypes and a sequel to last fall's Xbox One exclusive, Ryse. 

Current and former Crytek employees describe a tense, unstable environment, plagued by poor communication and a number of high-level staff departures at the company's biggest studios in Germany and Britain. In extensive conversations over the past few weeks, developers have described a company in turmoil, where staff openly talk about leaving or looking for new jobs. One employee estimates that some 100 people have left over the past three months.

Well, that's not good.

Again, to each his own, but I thought Far Cry 2 was an insult to the original game. It added completely unnecessary and tedious mechanics like malaria and weapon degrading while dumbing down the gameplay to make the missions completely forgettable. I don't know how anyone can say that was better than the original Far Cry or Crysis, but maybe the more open-ended aspect of the game is more appealing to others than it is me. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I didn't even give Far Cry 3 a shot.

As far as graphics go, I don't see how anyone can rationally say Crysis had overrated graphics from a technological or aesthetic standpoint.

Agreed. I really enjoyed playing Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis 2. I gave Far Cry 2 a shot and I didn't enjoy playing it. I also gave Far Cry 3 a shot and although I enjoyed it, I quickly got bored of going from outpost to outpost. The story seemed really interesting and the villain really felt like a villain.

At the moment, I'm playing Crysis 3 and I like it a lot. It seems weird to me given the number of years between it and Crysis 2 but aside from that, I'd say it's a very enjoyable game. I don't understand why some people will automatically hate a game because it has good graphics. It's entirely possible for a game to have bleeding-edge graphics as well as good gameplay. The first Crysis game is a perfect example.

Anyway, I'm really glad that Crytek isn't on the verge of bankruptcy. It would have been a damn shame if CryEngine went down with them. 

Agreed. I really enjoyed playing Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis 2. I gave Far Cry 2 a shot and I didn't enjoy playing it. I also gave Far Cry 3 a shot and although I enjoyed it, I quickly got bored of going from outpost to outpost. The story seemed really interesting and the villain really felt like a villain.

At the moment, I'm playing Crysis 3 and I like it a lot. It seems weird to me given the number of years between it and Crysis 2 but aside from that, I'd say it's a very enjoyable game. I don't understand why some people will automatically hate a game because it has good graphics. It's entirely possible for a game to have bleeding-edge graphics as well as good gameplay. The first Crysis game is a perfect example.

Anyway, I'm really glad that Crytek isn't on the verge of bankruptcy. It would have been a damn shame if CryEngine went down with them. 

To be honest Far Cry 2 and 3 had nothing to do with Crytek, but i know what you mean. I'm just sad Ryse 2 has been put on hold. Hopefully MS will decide to make it still and find a new developer, or even better Crytek will come to their senses and get their act together to make it.

A recent report from German magazine GameStar claimed Crytek, which has its headquarters in Frankfurt, was in financial trouble and that the development of Xbox One exclusive Ryse: Son of Rome had been a "disaster".

Considering how poorly the XBone is doing, this seems plausible. Perhaps going exclusive wasn't such a great idea.

Considering how poorly the XBone is doing, this seems plausible. Perhaps going exclusive wasn't such a great idea.

It wasn't just an exclusive, it was published by Microsoft, who bankrolled the game.

To be honest Far Cry 2 and 3 had nothing to do with Crytek, but i know what you mean. I'm just sad Ryse 2 has been put on hold. Hopefully MS will decide to make it still and find a new developer, or even better Crytek will come to their senses and get their act together to make it.

Surprised it took so long for someone to mention this. Far Cry 2 & 3 both have nothing to do with Crytek.

• Like 2

It wasn't just an exclusive, it was published by Microsoft, who bankrolled the game.

So you're saying that it didn't need to sell at all for Crytek to recoup its costs and make a profit? I find that hard to believe.

So you're saying that it didn't need to sell at all for Crytek to recoup its costs and make a profit? I find that hard to believe.

Depends on what their contract was like. Guess we'll never know.

Remember the stupid deal Obsidian made with Zenimax for Fallout New Vegas?

Fry Cry was MIND BLOWING good when it came out.

No, the Crytek engine was mind blowing when it came out. Far Cry was an engine demo with a mediocre story and some pretty bad voice acting. I did finish the game, but no one was going to mistake the story telling / voice work in it for any of the Half-Life titles.

That's exactly the case. Crytek named their budget, MS paid for it. They were a contractor. If they lost money on that project it's purely because of bad management.

Depends on what their contract was like. Guess we'll never know.

Remember the stupid deal Obsidian made with Zenimax for Fallout New Vegas?

That was just a bonus, they didn't make the game for free :p

"[Fallout: New Vegas] was a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic, which we didn't,"

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/obsidian-missed-fallout-new-vegas-metacritic-bonus-by-one-point/

That was just a bonus, they didn't make the game for free :p

"[Fallout: New Vegas] was a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic, which we didn't,"

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/obsidian-missed-fallout-new-vegas-metacritic-bonus-by-one-point/

Ye, I'm aware that it was just a bonus, but it still doesn't make the deal less stupid. Relying on a third-party review aggregation system that is absolutely biased in terms of which websites' reviews are being considered as part of the overall review score is not a very bright thing to do.