Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gerowen

Vaccine Deniers Were Just Dealt A Blow In Court

26 posts in this topic

A federal judge has ruled in favor of a New York City policy that allows schools to ban unvaccinated kids from attending classes when another child has come down with a vaccine preventable illness, the New York Times reports. The lawsuit consolidated separate challenges from three families who claimed their religious freedom was violated when their kids were banned from school for up to a month at a time during disease outbreaks.

Over the past two years, several different lawsuits have been filed against the city by parents who object to its immunization law. ?We don?t want anything being put into our bodies at all,? Nicole Phillips, the mother of two children at a Queens-area school who have missed several weeks of class this school year because they haven?t been vaccinated, explained when she sued back in 2012. ?We?d rather rely on our natural immune system and our faith in God. This is about my children?s rights.?

But Judge William F. Kuntz II of the Federal District Court in Brooklyn disagreed with that argument, determining that the Supreme Court has ?strongly suggested that religious objectors are not constitutionally exempt from vaccinations? and concluding that the city?s strict vaccine guidelines are in place to safeguard its residents? well being.

1 person likes this

?We?d rather rely on our natural immune system and our faith in God. This is about my children?s rights.?

Brainless woman.  Did not occur to her that maybe her god showed us how to make vaccines to protect ourselves from the diseases he created?

Her children's rights, my ass.  This is about her silly delusions and, as far as I'm concerned, should be treated as borderline child abuse or at the very least, child endangerment.

10 people like this

Brainless woman.  Did not occur to her that maybe her god showed us how to make vaccines to protect ourselves from the diseases he created?

Her children's rights, my ass.  This is about her silly delusions and, as far as I'm concerned, should be treated as borderline child abuse or at the very least, child endangerment.

I agree.  The problem is that these parents are indoctrinating their children into these beliefs, so the cycle of stupidity will continue...

2 people like this

?We?d rather rely on our natural immune system and our faith in God. This is about my children?s rights.?

Oh good. When things like polio, tetanus, DTP, Hep A/B etc all start to make a come back then you can start standing in the middle of the street wondering why your faith isn't protecting your child can no longer work and has a long life of suffering ahead of them.

Now I think things like the influenza vaccine for people with perfectly fine immune systems are slightly silly, especially because of how crazy people seem to get over something as simple as the common cold. But there are a lot of extremely useful vaccines that have helped eradicate some truly horrific viruses. If your child got polio, for example, it would make the rest of their life incredibly difficult...and all you had to do was give them a simple vaccine that costs next to nothing.

4 people like this

i am not a big fan of vaccines or any prescription drugs in general unless they are absolutely critical. i think something like the basic flu vaccine is pretty much just a money maker as i never get those and i rarely get sick myself and when i do it's usually just a fever for a day or so. so i just go with the natural immune system thing as the way i see it... if it's my time to go, it's my time to go.

you can't really trust prescription drugs nowadays as they advertise the crap out of them and some of the side effects can be a huge problem (like worse than the problem they are trying to fix) so it's just not worth the risk in my mind unless you are really desperate. plus, you see all of those random lawsuits on TV suing over prescription drugs to. it seems their standards have become more lax than they used to be for approving drugs from what i can tell especially given the side effects of many of them can be very serious.

but for the most part i am just thankful that i have generally good health.

you can't really trust prescription drugs nowadays as they advertise the crap out of them

Only in America. In pretty much every other country prescription drugs cannot be advertised.

But here...it's "hey if you have this symptom, ask your doctor for a prescription of this very expensive drug" Great...why even have doctors? This ad that shows a woman walking in the sunshine tells me to take this medication so it must be good!

1 person likes this

i am not a big fan of vaccines or any prescription drugs in general unless they are absolutely critical. i think something like the basic flu vaccine is pretty much just a money maker as i never get those and i rarely get sick myself and when i do it's usually just a fever for a day or so. so i just go with the natural immune system thing as the way i see it... if it's my time to go, it's my time to go.

You (and the woman in the article, doubt she'd listen though) need to understand that vaccines aren't some separate layer on top of your immune system, all they do is teach your existing immune system how to target something it hasn't come across before without you actually needing to be infected by it.

The main reason for the flu vaccine is that it changes pretty often, and it's not meant to help people in the prime of their life, it's meant to protect people who would be more susceptible to the flu (Where it'd do more damage), it's meant to prevent the spread of it.

10 people like this

What makes me laugh about drugs etc from doctors (and here some simple meds ads are allowed) is this mentality:

"Oooh you fell off a bike and scrape your knee? Come buy an ?15 med from us!"

While I was younger my grandmother used some herbs that grew on the roadside to put on the scraped place and it was fine in an hour and we were back riding.

That's the sad thing, you DO NOT need meds for everything and people keep forgetting the "older wisdoms" of usual herbs you can find everywhere that can easily help with smaller stuff. Have a runny nose or a soar troath? Inhale the steam from boiling potatoes...works as good as some "sea water-magic-nose-spray-one-minute-help-that-costs-a-fortune".

Same goes for immune system, you do not always need an vaccine for it. Right habits of eating and some supplements will easily help your immune system to grow stronger as well.

2 people like this

you can't really trust prescription drugs nowadays as they advertise the crap out of them and some of the side effects can be a huge problem (like worse than the problem they are trying to fix) so it's just not worth the risk in my mind unless you are really desperate. plus, you see all of those random lawsuits on TV suing over prescription drugs to. it seems their standards have become more lax than they used to be for approving drugs from what i can tell especially given the side effects of many of them can be very serious.

but for the most part i am just thankful that i have generally good health.

There are more important and critical vaccines in the world than the annual flu shot. Ever heard of Polio? or measles? You probably have good health because your parents were smart enough to separate faith from reality.

2 people like this

Only in America. In pretty much every other country prescription drugs cannot be advertised.

But here...it's "hey if you have this symptom, ask your doctor for a prescription of this very expensive drug" Great...why even have doctors? This ad that shows a woman walking in the sunshine tells me to take this medication so it must be good!

Yeah, it's like the way they are portrayed on the commercials makes them look all positive even though the side effects on some of them can be a huge problem but they are downplayed in the commercials just to get people to trust them and rake in the $$$ at the expense of peoples health and they probably don't care all that much because even if they get sued they already made insane amounts of $$$ by that point. also, i can't believe some people just blindly trust their doctors as the way i see it the average doctor is so-so. but what i want to know is true or not is... are doctors paid more $$$ for prescribing drugs? ; if so, that's a huge conflict of interest. i heard that somewhere but i am not sure if it's true or not.

i realize maybe the risk on some of those very serious side effects might be fairly low (but unless it's VERY low i would not risk it myself). but just the fact that it can happen is a red flag for me to where i would avoid it unless you exhausted all of your other options and are really desperate.

There are more important and critical vaccines in the world than the annual flu shot. Ever heard of Polio? or measles? You probably have good health because your parents were smart enough to separate faith from reality.

These vaccines are only done once in your life. We had vaccine shot in the first grade (I even have an nasty scar left from that vaccine shot) for polio and some other stuff. After that the pharams live on flu shots, expensive meds etc.

You (and the woman in the article, doubt she'd listen though) need to understand that vaccines aren't some separate layer on top of your immune system, all they do is teach your existing immune system how to target something it hasn't come across before without you actually needing to be infected by it.

The main reason for the flu vaccine is that it changes pretty often, and it's not meant to help people in the prime of their life, it's meant to protect people who would be more susceptible to the flu (Where it'd do more damage), it's meant to prevent the spread of it.

sure, but those basic flu vaccines are not 100percent effective either (i.e. they might not help you at all) from what i have heard and i do think they carry some risk, right?

so i figure ill take my chances when it comes to basic flu stuff.

Yeah, something of big importance like those it's worth getting the shot but your average flu thing i figure is mostly a money maker.

Yeah, it's like the way they are portrayed on the commercials makes them look all positive even though the side effects on some of them can be a huge problem but they are downplayed in the commercials just to get people to trust them and rake in the $$$ at the expense of peoples health and they probably don't care all that much because even if they get sued they already made insane amounts of $$$ by that point. also, i can't believe some people just blindly trust their doctors as the way i see it the average doctor is so-so. but what i want to know is true or not is... are doctors paid more $$$ for prescribing drugs? ; if so, that's a huge conflict of interest. i heard that somewhere but i am not sure if it's true or not.

i realize maybe the risk on some of those very serious side effects might be fairly low (but unless it's VERY low i would not risk it myself). but just the fact that it can happen is a red flag for me to where i would avoid it unless you exhausted all of your other options and are really desperate.

That's what you get for having a commercialsed health industry.

Over here, the only ads you'll see for meds are basic over the counter general/headache pain meds or allergy reliefs, that sort of thing.  Serious meds are not advertised.

5 people like this

so cause you dont believe suddenly shes brainless? Do you even know what goes into these vaccines? Maybe go do some research, and then you probably wont be getting one either. All this vaccine crap is pure trash.

so cause you dont believe suddenly shes brainless? Do you even know what goes into these vaccines? Maybe go do some research, and then you probably wont be getting one either. All this vaccine crap is pure trash.

Actually, yes. Yes I do, because I, as a responsible parent, -have- looked into vaccines, and all the ridiculous claims idiots like this woman make against them.

Maybe YOU should research them, instead of believing the mindless drivel and lies you see on the internet?

2 people like this

There are reasons as to why the various things that are in vaccines are there.  Since a vaccination is basically just weakened samples of the disease you're being vaccinated against, they have to add things to preserve it, to keep the weakened samples from growing and becoming strong enough to infect you instead of vaccinate you, etc.  Even "if" vaccines still had mercury in them (which most of them don't), you get more mercury from eating fish for dinner than you do from getting a vaccine that contains it.  As somebody who, thanks to the military, has gotten way more vaccinations than regular joe citizen (smallpox, swine flu, anthrax, to name a few), you can trust me when I say that I'm about 99.99% certain it is not some government conspiracy to inject you with poisons that will decrease your life expectancy and lower your IQ.

Here's a CDC article on a mercury derived preservative that is occasionally used: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/Thimerosal/Index.html

Edit: Also, as somebody who grew up in and lives in the woods of eastern Kentucky, I am aware of and embrace natural remedies, but there's no reason to deny the effectiveness of vaccines that have, at least until this latest surge in anti-vaccine activists, effectively eradicated diseases that devastated people in previous generations.

1 person likes this

If people don't want to take vaccines, that's their choice. Let them get sick and die and improve the general IQ level in the process.

But when they stop kids from getting them, that's when it becomes a problem and needs to be addressed.

You know, here in Belgium, vaccines aren't even up for debate. Sure, we don't do flu vaccines except for people who are at high risk (elderly and medical staff), but besides that everything else is pretty much mandatory (and also free). They even do vaccination rounds at school. When I was 12 we were all just called out group by group during classes to go get vaccinated. Took two minutes, done. You only got out if you had already had the vaccination.

All vaccines used nowadays are perfectly safe, there has never been any evidence that shows serious side effects.

And especially people complaining about mercury and the likes just don't get chemistry. You don't complain about the chlorine in your salt either I hope, because it consists of chlorine for 50%.

If people don't want to take vaccines, that's their choice. Let them get sick and die and improve the general IQ level in the process.

But when they stop kids from getting them, that's when it becomes a problem and needs to be addressed.

i would only agree on the more serious illnesses. the more casual vaccines i consider optional and i don't consider that neglect to the kids health at all.

my sister looks into that stuff, as she's got a couple of kids(one is 4 months old and the other is 21 months old), and she did give them some vaccines but not everything as some of them basically sound unnecessary since they are for very low risk stuff in general which basically is a money grab if you ask me on those types of things. but the ones that could potentially be a pretty serious threat she gave them those.

Here's another winner:

"?Disease is pestilence,? Ms. Check said, ?and pestilence is from the devil. The devil is germs and disease, which is cancer and any of those things that can take you down. But if you trust in the Lord, these things cannot come near you.?"

Good on the judges. Get your seed vaccinated. For our good. For their good. For your good. "God" is not going to protect you from disease.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/23/nyregion/judge-upholds-policy-barring-unvaccinated-students-during-illnesses.html?ref=health&_r=2

She probably doesn't believe in evolution as well, so therefore her god is making every new variant of bacteria and viruses in his atempt to kill her children...

"?Disease is pestilence,? Ms. Check said, ?and pestilence is from the devil. The devil is germs and disease, which is cancer and any of those things that can take you down. But if you trust in the Lord, these things cannot come near you.?"

Holly sh**! Like floating fat man said, the best thing about this is that hopefully it'll kill off this sort of person and the average IQ will go up. Only problem is it may take innocent children's lives (and maybe some of ours) with it.

1 person likes this

sure, but those basic flu vaccines are not 100percent effective either (i.e. they might not help you at all) from what i have heard and i do think they carry some risk, right?

so i figure ill take my chances when it comes to basic flu stuff.

This is a common misconception stemming from just not knowing how the flu works and what the vaccine is. The vaccines only protect you from the three or four most common strains of flu virus depending on which one you get. They're are many less common strains that you're still susceptible to. Still good to get though, if only for the sake of those around you.

Quite frankly I think vaccine nonbelievers are idiots, and they endanger their children and other children. Here's a good example of what happens when a large group of idiots think they're smarter than proven science: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/measles-outbreak-traced-back-single-unvaccinated-child

I expect to see much more nonsense like this.

1 person likes this

Why don't they think of it like 'God sent the vaccination as protection from the devils disease', that way they can justify having them.

Is there a commandment 'Thou should not be vaccinated' that I don't know about?

1 person likes this

i would only agree on the more serious illnesses. the more casual vaccines i consider optional and i don't consider that neglect to the kids health at all.

my sister looks into that stuff, as she's got a couple of kids(one is 4 months old and the other is 21 months old), and she did give them some vaccines but not everything as some of them basically sound unnecessary since they are for very low risk stuff in general which basically is a money grab if you ask me on those types of things. but the ones that could potentially be a pretty serious threat she gave them those.

Yes and money is far more important than immunisation, Better that the brat croaks than have mommy pay for something trivial like whopping cough I mean if the brat croaks from something with a 1.7% mortality rate they arnt worth the trouble! All that matters is that I a white middle aged healthy male can survive it.

Antivaxers are right up there with psycics as the most despicibly evil people in society.

1 person likes this