Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gerowen

Man required to get vasectomy as part of plea deal

21 posts in this topic

RICHMOND, Va. - A Virginia man who has fathered children with several women has agreed to get a vasectomy to reduce his prison term by up to five years in a child endangerment case that has evoked the country's dark history of forced sterilization.

None of the charges against Jessie Lee Herald, 27, involved a sexual offense. Shenandoah County assistant prosecutor Ilona White said her chief motive in making the extraordinarily unusual offer was keeping Herald from fathering more than the seven children he has by at least six women.

"He needs to be able to support the children he already has when he gets out," she said, adding that Herald and the state both benefit from the deal, first reported by the Northern Virginia Daily.

Though Herald willingly - if reluctantly, according to his attorney - signed on to the deal, the agreement immediately calls to mind the surgical sterilizations carried out in Virginia and dozens of other states during the 20th century under the discredited pseudoscience called eugenics, said Brandon Garrett, a University of Virginia law professor.

I've always said that there should be stipulations in the penal code where forced sterilization should be practiced.  I think if somebody is a child molester or has severely abused children, or if they demonstrate a lack of good decision making skills by continuing to have boat loads of children when they're already living on welfare, that they should be forcibly sterilized.  This guy has 7 kids by 6 different women and is going to jail for abusing them, so I think forcing him to have a vasectomy is reasonable.

^ How on earth does forced sterilisation stop you from further abusing kids on your release? That makes no bleedin' sense what so ever.

I can see the financial issue with regards to being able to support your kids (though I don't agree on forced sterilisation at all), but as a means of preventing abuse? Not a chance in hell of that coming even close to being effective.

In Europe, this would be a serious breach of human rights, and I'm fairly sure it's covered by international laws on the same, too.

3 people like this

^ How on earth does forced sterilisation stop you from further abusing kids on your release? That makes no bleedin' sense what so ever.

I can see the financial issue with regards to being able to support your kids (though I don't agree on forced sterilisation at all), but as a means of preventing abuse? Not a chance in hell of that coming even close to being effective.

In Europe, this would be a serious breach of human rights, and I'm fairly sure it's covered by international laws on the same, too.

So somebody who is a convicted child sex offender should be allowed to have children of their own?  At least to me, I don't think they should, and I don't think the state should be burdened with taking ownership of any children they do have; better to "nip it in the bud" I guess you could say.

So somebody who is a convicted child sex offender should be allowed to have children of their own?  At least to me, I don't think they should, and I don't think the state should be burdened with taking ownership of any children they do have; better to "nip it in the bud" I guess you could say.

So take the child away...

FloatingFatMan, on 24 Jun 2014 - 03:17, said:

Forced? No... Done with reluctance, yes...  He is getting a vasectomy, not an orchiectomy ;)  It seems like a reasonable solution with the facts at hand.

I'm not a fan of it ever being forced, but offered as a way to reduce jailtime then maybe...

Sounds OK to me, his choice to take the deal or not, and it reduces the number of kids he can abuse/neglect in the future.

So take the child away...

And let somebody else soak up the financial burden for his bad decision?  There's 7 billion people in the world, every one of which needs food, water, shelter, clothing, medical care, and a place to take a poop every single day of their lives.  In my opinion, we don't need people like this guy adding to our numbers.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter, :-)

And let somebody else soak up the financial burden for his bad decision?  There's 7 billion people in the world, every one of which needs food, water, shelter, clothing, medical care, and a place to take a poop every single day of their lives.  In my opinion, we don't need people like this guy adding to our numbers.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter, :-)

Fair enough! To be honest, as this was his choice to do and wasn't forced, I don't have a problem with it. :)

It is not forced sterilization. He agreed to it for a lighter sentence. Otherwise, he can stay in jail longer

Fair enough! To be honest, as this was his choice to do and wasn't forced, I don't have a problem with it. :)

I do understand though, and agree with/appreciate your concerns in regards to forced sterilization.  It opens a Pandora's Box so to speak about weeding out the genetic "undesirables", and although, individuals like me and you can understand and apply concepts like that in a way that most people would see as fair and judicious, it makes you do a double take when people in positions of power start talking about it because it reminds you of things like the British conquests of Scotland and Nazi Germany, etc.

^ Exactly, which is precisely my concern.  As long as it's something that's optional, in exchange for some thing else like lighter sentencing, then I have no problem.

The instant it's forced, I will object VERY loudly!

There's 7 billion people in the world, every one of which needs food, water, shelter, clothing, medical care, and a place to take a poop every single day of their lives.

I haven't actually pooped today... :whistle:

1 person likes this

I do understand though, and agree with/appreciate your concerns in regards to forced sterilization.  It opens a Pandora's Box so to speak about weeding out the genetic "undesirables", and although, individuals like me and you can understand and apply concepts like that in a way that most people would see as fair and judicious, it makes you do a double take when people in positions of power start talking about it because it reminds you of things like the British conquests of Scotland and Nazi Germany, etc.

I have no problem with this. Some individuals should not be allowed to breed to contaminate the gene pool, or be allowed to have kids if they are not responsible enough to handle it. Its not fair to the kids to be brought into this world having to deal with this kind of crap. Personally I don't think anyone who is terminally ill to be allowed to have kids either. Its not fair for those kids to be without parents. Yeah I get that people could die just as easily form a plane crash or something but at least you have the possibility of years instead of months.

For got to add the word NOT 

Edited by Gotenks98

It is not forced sterilization. He agreed to it for a lighter sentence. Otherwise, he can stay in jail longer

There have been similar deals offered with regards to Depo Provera, for example (a drug used to reduce/eliminate sex drive in humans - it's not unique to either sex in that effect) - in what way is this different?

Would it be performed the Ultron way?

I see no issue in this (the title makes it appear worse than it is). A plea deal is an agreement and the defendant can walk away at any time.

There's 7 billion people in the world, every one of which needs food, water, shelter, clothing, medical care, and a place to take a poop every single day of their lives.

I haven't needed medical care or taken a poop today, it sure is nice to have those things when I need them though!

Quick question... can vasectomies not be reversed? What's to stop him from doing that when he gets out?

Quick question... can vasectomies not be reversed? What's to stop him from doing that when he gets out?

Depends on whether his tubes are tied, or cut.

If cut, then I don't think it can be undone.

Depends on whether his tubes are tied, or cut.

If cut, then I don't think it can be undone.

One of my coworker's father specializes in fixing these "issues".

Even if cut, they can often be undone (or so I was told).

That and it can happen on its own too.

http://www.vasectomy-information.com/moreinfo/recanalisation.htm