7 posts in this topic

Posted

BAGHDAD - The civil war is between the two main branches of Islam -- the Sunni and the Shiite. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's government is predominantly Shiite. The attacking force, ISIS, is Sunni.

ISIS now holds parts of northern Syria and western Iraq. In recent days, three border crossings along Syria and U.S. ally Jordan fell to ISIS, which is using extreme violence to create a new nation with a strict Islamic code.

By now it has become a familiar sight: ISIS militants parading through newly captured territory, this time the border town of al Qaim.

Iraqi forces have lost control of all of the main border crossings into Syria, as well as four towns along the Euphrates River.

With the Iraqi army in disarray, Shiite militias are stepping in. They are heavily armed and highly motivated, and many fear they will heighten sectarian tensions.

We traveled to the conservative, Shiite enclave of Sadr City, home to the Mehdi Army, one of the most powerful militias in Iraq.

One thing I have noticed, there seem to be a lot of Arabs using AR-15s now.  It used to be that 99% of people fighting in the middle east, including the organized military forces of all those countries were using AK-47s, AK-74s, or some variant thereof.  Now we're seeing Iraqi militia groups as well as some of the ISIS fighters walking around with AR-15s.  I know the type of weapon they use is irrelevant to this story, but I'm a gun guy, and find it kind of interesting.

Posted

One thing I have noticed, there seem to be a lot of Arabs using AR-15s now.  It used to be that 99% of people fighting in the middle east, including the organized military forces of all those countries were using AK-47s, AK-74s, or some variant thereof.  Now we're seeing Iraqi militia groups as well as some of the ISIS fighters walking around with AR-15s.  I know the type of weapon they use is irrelevant to this story, but I'm a gun guy, and find it kind of interesting.

Small arms supplied by the United States have been trickling into Iraq from Syria. That's my theory on the use of the AR-15

Posted

How much money and lives did it cost to train the Iraqi army?

Posted

Way too many, especially seeing how they've handled themselves in the face of an actual threat.

Posted

I think they just gave each member of the Iraqi army an Xbox 360, a copy of Call of Duty and a gun. So under $1000 per "soldier"

Posted

If the Iraqi army can't defeat militias who are shiite, how on earth will they fare against militias who are good?

1 person likes this

Posted

I think they just gave each member of the Iraqi army an Xbox 360, a copy of Call of Duty and a gun. So under $1000 per "soldier"

lol lately you been cracking me up...