How can I close an outlook.com account?

From here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/account-close-account

1. Go to the Microsoft account overview webpage, and then sign in with your Microsoft account.

2. Tap or click Security & password. If you're prompted to verify your account, follow the instructions.

3. Under Close your account, tap or click Close my account.

4. Verify that the correct Microsoft account appears, and then click Next.

5. In the Select a reason drop-down list, choose the reason you're closing the account.

6. Tap or click Mark account for closure.

Does not work.

I see no option as "close account" just "Change preference" and that just gives me the option to agree to spam from MS.

Does not work.

I see no option as "close account" just "Change preference" and that just gives me the option to agree to spam from MS.

You dont see this by following hte links I posted??  I followed the links and thats how I got the screenshot

post-91978-0-64725400-1403613222.png

Sign into outlook.com or hotmail.com, click your name in the top right corner and you'll get a drop-down. Then click "Account Settings". You'll then be asked to sign in again for security reasons.

On the left hand side under "Account", click "Security & Password", scroll to the bottom and the option is there for "closing your account".