Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindovermaster

Air Conditioning

23 posts in this topic

Both are same but the second link is a portable.. which you can move it from room to room.

The window one is placed in the window and stay there for rest of your life.

one word.

Mobility.

Most AC units put out cold and heat. In the case of Window AC's the ass sticks out the Window. So the cold air comes in through the front and the heat goes out the back. I'm now sure how the portable ones work, it must put the heat back into the room.

The real issue with the portable ones is draining them.  The window unit will drip out the back of it.

Maybe I should have looked at the link better.  That is not a portable A/C.  It is just an air cooler by evaporated water.

portable ones have a removeable drip tray which you have to clean out once a week or more. They have an exhaust "hose" which you connect to a window for the heat.

As far as power usage, both are on par,  only difference is price, you are paying for portability, so to get a 5000btu portable you will pay a little bit more than stationary.

and as stated above, the portable air cooler is NOT a portable AC... if you live in a very humid environment, your house/apt will become humid as hell. Air coolers by evaporation work good in dry environments (such as valley and desserts)

edit:

portable AC is much more big:

http://www.target.com/p/whynter-eco-friendly-12000-btu-portable-air-conditioner-platinum/-/A-11207086?reco=Rec|pdp|11207086|CategorySiloedViewCP|item_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|CategorySiloedViewCP|item_page.vertical_1

Like I said, they are both same...  I mean power usage is same as a portable one.  But it is depends on how much you use it..  If you use it all day/night, you may get expensive bill from your electricity company.  Since each states may be different than others... I mean your electricity rates are lower or higher than others..

Window units are more efficient as well. 

I'm not asking how they work. I already know that. I am asking for equality, power usage, etc.

Or, this: http://www.target.com/p/haier-8-000-btu-portable-air-conditioner/-/A-12213123#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=air+conditioner

FYI, 5,000BTU covers up to 300 sq ft...

More BTU you get, it will cover in bigger rooms.. 

Read the description on the product webpage which you posted the links.

I have both a 1100 BTU portable AC and a 800 BTU window AC. I live in a small one bedroom apartment with a bedroom window and a patio door (window) to the outside. Here, in Calgary, I only use them less than 10 days in any summer, and only when the outside temperature is 30C or more.

The window AC goes in my bedroom window, while the portable vents out my patio door. I think the window AC is more efficient, despite being less BTUs, but that could be due to it working to cool mostly the bedroom. The portable AC cools the livingroom, diningroom and kitchen. Both are fairly noisey, the window AC less so since it partly projects outside the window. You can't really watch TV while the portable AC is running due to the noise. Both ACs can reduce the inside temperature down to almost 15C after running for an hour or so. My power bill during the month I use them increases less than 20% so I'm happy about that.

I would recommend the portable AC if you are not able to put an AC in the window. It takes only a few minutes to set it up or take it apart. It's been a good purchase. The only drawback is that you have to shut the patio door (window) to use it. Both ACs are cost effective (in my opinion) as I only use them a few days each year and turn them off as soon as the sun goes down, replacing them both with fans to draw in the cool air.

I was confined to my apartment for the summer of 2012 due to illness, and the ACs made a huge difference in being able to enjoy my confinement. The best gift you can give to someone who is housebound is an AC. It will really be appreciated.

I have a window A/C, but there is no sensor, just on/off, low/high, and a dial.

I guess I have to get a new one.

We have A/C in this house, but will not cool the 2nd floor, where my computers are.

@Shozilla- My room is a small 150sq ft.

NO.  Air coolers are NOT the same as air conditioners.

MoM do you live in a very humid place? If so, do not consider air coolers.

1 person likes this

NO.  Air coolers are NOT the same as air conditioners.

MoM do you live in a very humid place? If so, do not consider air coolers.

You still remember "MoM", don't you? :laugh:

I live in Wisconsin, so, it goes up and down. The only reason I need a A/C is because I have ~4 computers running at any time. So it gets hot in here.

You still remember "MoM", don't you? :laugh:

I live in Wisconsin, so, it goes up and down. The only reason I need a A/C is because I have ~4 computers running at any time. So it gets hot in here.

yup XD :p  We've been around eh? :p

Well, if installing a window unit is fairly easy, then window, but if computers are something you might move, portable a/c can move with those computers in the future, the downside of portable A/Cs is that they take up space.

@Shozilla- My room is a small 150sq ft.

You can get 5,000 or less BTU for that room.  It is up to you to get AC based on BTU of your choice for that room.

It is up to you if you want to check this site out:

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/consumer/product-solutions/product-showcase/indoor-units

My friends have those on their walls that keep their room cool during summer.

Most AC units put out cold and heat. In the case of Window AC's the ass sticks out the Window. So the cold air comes in through the front and the heat goes out the back. I'm now sure how the portable ones work, it must put the heat back into the room.

They have an air hose thing you put out either a vent or a window. Some come with a flat extendable element you can put in a window extend to the same width and then you can close the window down to it, and it has a round connector sticking out you connect the hose to.

Also,  put a fan infront of the A/C to move cool air around quicker.  

Also,  put a fan infront of the A/C to move cool air around quicker.  

My only window is right by my bed, so a fan won't help.

My only window is right by my bed, so a fan won't help.

Ahh ok. 

12212394_201405141325.jpg

Looks like...

Tumblr_n4rwqwNspw1r3jmn6o1_1280.png

One is an AC and the other is a water cooler. There is a huge difference. Water cooler uses water (needs to be filled) to make the room cool but an AC uses gas for conditioning and chilling the room. Pls read on the difference. Both are two different things. Water cooler is useless if you live in a humid place.

Hey, none of them seems to be A/C

A/C will have refrigerant liquid and metallic coils cool down a sealed (closed infact) room down to a desired temperature..

None of these two models are quipped with the said feature or mechanism..

They are just Air Cooler..