Photo

Ad Muncher's 15 Year History!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm

Neowinian

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:46

This is the story of a 14 year old coder, who raised $100 from his father to launch an ad blocking program, then dedicated the next 15 years of his life to it.

It's my story, and this post will be followed by another giving the first ever preview of Ad Muncher Version 5, and another one with an important announcement about the future of Ad Muncher.

http://www.murrayhur...muncher-history

Attached Images

• 6757.jpg

#2 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 24 June 2014 - 22:27

Thanks for posting this gate1975mlm! I am from the other two boards as well. One being the Ad Muncher forum.

Such interesting history!

#3 DarkyDan

DarkyDan

Neowinian

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:50

Cool story. 

I had friends that swore by Admuncher in the mid 2000s, I never got around to giving it a go.

#4 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 25 June 2014 - 23:12

Ad muncher is now free! http://www.murrayhur...er-announcement

Now it really will be the best ad blocker in the world! I hope this means free for android, iOS, Linux (when it comes) and mac (when it comes) too!

We will see a lot of people switch back now. hehe

#5 darkrats

darkrats

Neowinian

Posted 25 June 2014 - 23:46

Does anyone know for sure that this is not a hoax of some kind. There are a number of sites reporting this, but the Official site still has the option to purchase, and in the Official forum there is no comment by the creators. Anyone care to prove that AM has gone free by posting a link to the free version (not the shareware)? After years of lackluster communication from AM's creators, it doesn't seem too likely that AM, now or version 5 (if it ever is released) will be free.

It's a nice program but highly overpriced. The creators of AM would probably do just as well by asking for donations.

#6 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 25 June 2014 - 23:53

Does anyone know for sure that this is not a hoax of some kind. There are a number of sites reporting this, but the Official site still has the option to purchase, and in the Official forum there is no comment by the creators. Anyone care to prove that AM has gone free by posting a link to the free version (not the shareware)? After years of lackluster communication from AM's creators, it doesn't seem too likely that AM, now or version 5 (if it ever is released) will be free.

It's a nice program but highly overpriced. The creators of AM would probably do just as well by asking for donations.

If you already used AM app shareware, just wait until you get the update that will replace it with freeware. Otherwise you can install freeware app if they put freeware app on their site.

And it's not hoax. The app creator announced it himself and some of us got the email from him.

That is my guess about update to replace.. I could be wrong.

Give it sometime before the app comes online and change their website.

#7 Ace

Ace

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:09

the official site still has the option to purchase

Err...

"We're currently rebuilding our infrastructure to handle the volume of users we're expecting in the free version.

To be notified once the new version is online, please enter your email address below."

http://www.murrayhur...er-announcement

#8 itisomegakai

itisomegakai

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:11

Ad muncher is now free! http://www.murrayhur...er-announcement

Now it really will be the best ad blocker in the world! I hope this means free for android, iOS, Linux (when it comes) and mac (when it comes) too!

We will see a lot of people switch back now. hehe

would love a linux version

great app & will be happy to see it grow more

#9 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:20

Why is the cow sad? Doesn't it want to be free? :(

I've used this program for almost ten years, it has always been a great ad blocker though it is showing its age now with its lack of https support. I've been waiting for version 5 for years now and I've about given up on it. AdGuard is a nice alternative and much more up to date but it costs $50 for a lifetime license.

#10 itisomegakai

itisomegakai

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:27

Ad Muncher Version 5
Ad Muncher Announcement

#11 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:49

Ad Muncher Version 5
Ad Muncher Announcement

Sweet!

Sweet!

#12 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:53

I agree with the page mentioned by max22 , when they say "the anti-piracy rubbish". I didn't like these check of ip, while precisely the pirate user didn't have to bother with this. Also there's the free adblocker addon from firefox as an alternative, so I'm not surprised if ad muncher became free after some time. And last remark, I always wondered how a product that block ads would advertise itself. People that are getting some money from adsense (or any other advertising solution) are off course not interested in talking about ad muncher.

#13 streetw0lf

streetw0lf

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:55

So AM is still cash strapped, has to pay salaries for three people, and now the program is free.  Folks, IMO this is one of those too good to be true things.  My take on it is it's the death knell for AM.  After all, how can you now bitch about version 5 taking 6 years when it is now free?  Better off switching to AdGuard.  They deliver on their promises.

#14 darkrats

darkrats

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:12

The two links (above) don't lead to anything significant that I can see. The pages look like they were put together in a couple of minutes. The PDFs available just show a half-finished product. As much as I'd like to think that AM is going free, I am going to have to see something more concrete than what's available so far. Murray Hurps (if that is his real name) doesn't have a lot of credibility, not even in the Ad Muncher user community. Users have been ignored and misled for many years, so I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Don't know the man personally, but he has generated a lot of bad feelings with AM users, and many have moved on to other products rather than wait for a free version or a new version 5. I could be worng about this, but I've left my email with him for notifications, and we'll see what happens.

Nothing wrong with the product itself. It does a good job for everything from popups to advertisements (although not on https sites). I would not hesitate to recommend it.

#15 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:30

So AM is still cash strapped, has to pay salaries for three people, and now the program is free.  Folks, IMO this is one of those too good to be true things.  My take on it is it's the death knell for AM.  After all, how can you now bitch about version 5 taking 6 years when it is now free?  Better off switching to AdGuard.  They deliver on their promises.

I couldn't agree more.