• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,236 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 14:24

1. Aereo was determined to be illegal

2. Police cannot search digital devices (i.e cellphones) without a warrant.  A huge win for digital privacy.

Source: http://www.scotusblog.com/

#2 sava700

sava700

• 1,451 posts
  • Phone: nice phone

Posted 25 June 2014 - 14:30

The Aereo decision was pretty much a given although I disagree with the results. If I could access enough channels from OTA I would have done that a long time ago but as it is I live in a hole. My only access to TV is if I do satellite or cable (cable tv is a rip off, almost as much as the internet) so not having OTA access is a downer.

#3 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,107 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 14:34

So sad about the Aereo case. I mean, I suppose a part of me always knew that was going to happen, but I was really holding on to hope that SCOTUS would do the right thing for consumers and by the law. Aereo was completely legal under Cablevision, but as someone at Ars said, "This verdict, brought to you by Comcast."

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,195 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 25 June 2014 - 14:38

That sucks for Aereo, I wonder if they will still exist but in a different manner such as just paying retransmission fees or something. I was hoping it would come out alright for them so that they could open up in my area. Where I live we are too far from the Major city to pick up anything OTA even with the Best Antenna I could find.

#5 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,107 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 14:41

That sucks for Aereo, I wonder if they will still exist but in a different manner such as just paying retransmission fees or something. I was hoping it would come out alright for them so that they could open up in my area. Where I live we are too far from the Major city to pick up anything OTA even with the Best Antenna I could find.

The CEO has stated he won't pay retransmission fees. I wonder if they can pivot to do one of two things: (1) license their software to broadcasters or cable operators who may fall under Cablevision ruling from 2008; or (2), create a Slingbox-type of box with one of those antennas in them for people to use in their home (similar to a Simple.tv solution)?

But the same CEO has already said they don't have a Plan B, so who knows. Everything I've read says that if they lose, they'll shut down completely. That's a lot of lost jobs, lost money, and lost opportunity though. Too bad.

#6 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,676 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 15:32

The BIG one is not searching digital devices without a warrant. That practice has been terribly abused.

#7 +SOOPRcow

SOOPRcow

Neowinian

• 1,563 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 15:46

Modern cell phones are not just another technological convenience. With all they contain and all they may reveal, they hold for many Americans “the privacies of life,” The fact that technology now allows an individual to carry such information in his hand does not make the information any less worthy of the protection for which the Founders fought.

Source

The cellphone ruling and opinion is actually a pretty outstanding read.

#8 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,676 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 21:29

Anyone thinking the Supreme Court doesn't research before making a decision should read this one. They go from a "man from Mars" thinking cell phones are a human appendage :) to discussing Faraday cages to prevent remote data wiping while waiting for a warrant. Great read.