Perp robs wrong store - oopsie

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 SpeedyTheSnail

SpeedyTheSnail

Resident Snail Herder

• 1,561 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:41

5 years in the Marine Corps and deployments to Afghanistan, I understand escalation of force. If the guy didn't have a knife I'd say pepper spray him so he thinks twice. He is one of those people too stupid to learn, and not an ounce of good in him.

#17 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

• 1,643 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:41

DocM, on 25 Jun 2014 - 22:34, said:

Simple robbery may not be a reason to shoot someone, but armed robbery (edged weapon or tool, a club, screwdriver, gun, tire iron, hammer etc.) most certainly IS. The implied threat is the justification.

Also, a simple B&E during daylight in an empty home is not as serious as if someone is occupying it or if it occurs at night. The latter two items make it a Home Invasion which is definitely a justification to shoot.

So someone walks into your store holding a screwdriver and says they are going to rob the place. You are armed with a gun. You are saying you can simply pull out the gun and kill them without saying a word?

You have every right to pull out your gun and tell them to back off, and only if they don't should you pull the trigger.

#18 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,928 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:50

So someone walks into your store holding a screwdriver and says they are going to rob the place. You are armed with a gun. You are saying you can simply pull out the gun and kill them without saying a word?

You have every right to pull out your gun and tell them to back off, and only if they don't should you pull the trigger.

Are you implying a screwdriver cannot be used as a deadly weapon?  Interesting.

It seems to me that if he was close enough to stab her, she was justified.

Knives can kill people too.  Lets pull out that gun and announce it and see if they don't stab!  That wouldn't be a risk I would take.

I rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.  Just sayin.

#19 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,679 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:54

You have every right to pull out your gun and tell them to back off, and only if they don't should you pull the trigger.

There are numerous decision points, and the CPL (concealed pistol license) training (required) covers them and the legalistics. Tactical training teaches you how to do it. There are 3 state certified CPL programs just in our small city. Some police departments offer them.

You first attempt to do the Citizens Arrest, yes. In 49 states citizens have limited police powers in situations like this.

If they attack, bang. Their bad.

If they flee then in many states the Fleeing Felon Rule allows the use of force to effect the arrest.

If the vast majority of the US, if you break into someone's home at 3:00 AM you have high odds of getting shot.