Photo

NASA Orion crew exploration vehicle (updates)

95 replies to this topic

#91 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 20,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 19:37

In both cases part of it is institutional, but even more it's micromanagement induced paralysis from Congress and the Administrative branch.

#92 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian Senior

• 1,572 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:06

Something I was thinking about (and it's really a shame) is that for all of the fantastic work that NASA has done in the past and continues to do (to some degree)  in the present, and with all of the incredible science going on in partnership with all of the various Universities, Agencies, and other Government programs around the world, NASA seems incapable of managing its' own affairs in a common-sense fashion. I'm not kidding ... it's almost as if there is some kind of purposeful incentive to do things as inefficiently and wastefully as possible.

During my Military days it was like that as well, to some degree. Not nearly as blatant, but anyone who has served in the U.S. Military will know exactly what I'm talking about -- that mind-numbing "hurry up and wait" thing that drove each and every one of us completely batty.  :laugh: Nothing got done expeditiously.

It's sad, and shouldn't be like that. NASA used to be the pinnacle of what human beings could accomplish when we worked together toward common goals. Once we got our heads out of the sand and began working with other Governments (like Russia), there was no limit to what we could accomplish. I think our best days of Space Exploration are still ahead of us, but we need to clean house. NASA, as it currently exists, has to go.

WE need to clean house the next couple elections or nothing is ever going to change.  That will fix more than just problems with NASA.  It should solve a lot of other problems.

#93 Beittil

Beittil

Neowinian

• 282 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:44

So that would just change the focus from democrat proc to republican proc...

#94 BetaguyGZT

BetaguyGZT

Science!

• 823 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 23:01

Not sure which one is worse, to be honest. Two sides of the same coin. Both sides of the aisle are responsible for creating the current state of affairs, and they both have a responsibility to fix it if they are tasked to do so. Generally it turns out worse than before.

I think one of the problems is that the entrenched elements in NASA and other organizations (and this also goes for the Corporations whom rely on the large Government contracts such as ULA) are resistant to change and in many cases do everything they can to prevent it.

Sad, really, when there's no accountability for poor performance in a system organized like NASA is.

#95 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian Senior

• 1,572 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:31

So that would just change the focus from democrat proc to republican proc...

Both sides are bad.  Some new members make it in and aren't so bad, but even they slowly start caring more about their wallet instead of what's right or what's more efficient.  There needs to be accountability and not a bunch of things snuck into bills just to get votes.  Not easy to change or fix it anymore I'm afraid.

#96 BetaguyGZT

BetaguyGZT

Science!

• 823 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:17

Yep, that's why I'm of the opinion that NASA in it's current form needs to end. I know that I'm over-simplifying it, but a short-list breakdown includes:

- The current unmanned missions (Voyager, New Horizons, Dawn, etc) are mostly run by JPL in California.

- The US Operations to the ISS are conducted from the JSC in Texas.

- Primary launch facilities, vehicle assembly and coordination from KSC in Florida.

- Research and Development for NASA is conducted all over the United States and Canada.

- Science and Climatology Programs are worldwide, but many fall under the auspices and direction of NASA.

- Dedicated Recovery and Rehabilitation assets , much of which was left over from the Apollo and Space Shuttle programs that were never fully decommissioned or recycled.

- Administration and Training Facilities, many of which are no longer used.

This is probably 60% of what NASA is.

So, what needs to be done? What can be done? What should be done? These are the real questions, and there are no easy answers other than 'it cannot be allowed to continue like this'.