How to check if your phone is compatible with Android Wear

One of the many things Google talked about yesterday was Android Wear. They gave us a demo of the software, and announced two smartwatches that can be purchased right now. One thing that they didn?t talk a lot about is what devices are compatible with Android Wear. Luckily there is a very simple way to check if your phone will work with a Wear device.

1. Go to g.co/WearCheck on your Android device
  2. Read the results.

The site will detect your phone and let you know if it?s compatible. If you get the nice big green check marks, like on the Nexus 5 above, you are good to go. Here?s a little cheat if you don?t feel like checking a website: Android Wear only works with devices running Android 4.3 or higher. Most newer devices will be fine, but if your phone is a little on the older end it may not. iPhones are also not compatible.

More...

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/26/does-my-phone-work-with-android-wear/

lol apparently my Windows Phone isnt I go to the page on my phone and it gives me the same page but with a mobile theme that I get on my computer :P Asking me to go to the website on my phone.

This is the only downside of these smart watches that if you don't have a compatible phone, specially an Android, it will not work. I only have a Windows Phone.

This is the only downside of these smart watches that if you don't have a compatible phone, specially an Android, it will not work. I only have a Windows Phone.

Why if I ever do get a smart watch, I dont want one tied to one platform. 

yeah that is the only thing holding be back right now from buying a smart watch. What if i want to swap out my phone at some point. Currently there isnt a single Smart watch that can support all 3 of the major platforms (eg. Android, iOS, WP)

yeah that is the only thing holding be back right now from buying a smart watch. What if i want to swap out my phone at some point. Currently there isnt a single Smart watch that can support all 3 of the major platforms (eg. Android, iOS, WP)

Think Pebble supports iOS and Android.  Probably WP soon.  That is the closest one so far.  Was hoping the Moto 360 would support different platforms. But it seems that Google Wear is so integrated in Android that that may not happen.

The version detection appears to be a bit finnicky about which browser it's using too...  HTC One (4.4.2 stock firmware).  Chrome on the left, Firefox on the right. 

chromexxx.png          firefoknk.png

So true, I thought that the Moto360 will be different but it is the same crap. Need a compatible Android phone only.

That why I like what pebble has done, not sure if windows compliant, but it's works with andriod and apple. 

Why waste money on this if the Pebble supports every platform and the battery last longer thanks to a smart use of eink display? They just need a better design and they are all set.

That why I like what pebble has done, not sure if windows compliant, but it's works with andriod and apple. 

For windows compliant, If I am not mistaking... I read somewhere here in the forums that Microsoft is planning to bring as well a smart watch but I have not hear about it anymore.

lol apparently my Windows Phone isnt I go to the page on my phone and it gives me the same page but with a mobile theme that I get on my computer :p Asking me to go to the website on my phone.

My Lumia 1520 isn't either. :rofl:

Think Pebble supports iOS and Android.  Probably WP soon.  That is the closest one so far.  Was hoping the Moto 360 would support different platforms. But it seems that Google Wear is so integrated in Android that that may not happen.

There are a few specific to Windows Phone like Agent or Kyros but they are both huge and ugly devices and do not support many features. There was rumor from one of the Pebble Developers that he was working with Microsoft to get Pebble working with 8.1 but it was unofficial and just from the one developer. I will just hold off for now and hope that Microsoft comes out with their own :D

What? Why do you guys expect cross-platform smartwatches?

Smartwatches are nothing if they don't have really tight integration with the phone they're linked to. Each OS has their own capabilities and their own API. It's safe to say that a universal smartwatch would be very limited in functionality compared to other platform-specific ones. Look at the Pebble, what can it do? Notifications and maybe a few simple apps? Android Wear will have really tight integration with whatever is running on your phone, and isn't that what it's all about?

Windows Phone doesn't even have the right APIs for smartwatches to hook into right now. Can hardly expect any smartwatch to be compatible with it.

Do people even switch platforms all that much? I've never owned anything but Android devices and I wouldn't want to switch either. I'm so used to the apps, have tons of Play Store purchases, ...

Microsoft have a smart watch coming that works on ALL mobile platforms.

My old S2 X is good, but i'm running a custom rom, so if it's only checking the OS version not sure the final result will be positive.

What? Why do you guys expect cross-platform smartwatches?

Smartwatches are nothing if they don't have really tight integration with the phone they're linked to. Each OS has their own capabilities and their own API. It's safe to say that a universal smartwatch would be very limited in functionality compared to other platform-specific ones. Look at the Pebble, what can it do? Notifications and maybe a few simple apps? Android Wear will have really tight integration with whatever is running on your phone, and isn't that what it's all about?

Windows Phone doesn't even have the right APIs for smartwatches to hook into right now. Can hardly expect any smartwatch to be compatible with it.

Do people even switch platforms all that much? I've never owned anything but Android devices and I wouldn't want to switch either. I'm so used to the apps, have tons of Play Store purchases, ...

Read my post below yours!!

Why waste money on this if the Pebble supports every platform and the battery last longer thanks to a smart use of eink display? They just need a better design and they are all set.

As someone who currently owns a Pebble and just preordered the Android Wear Samsung watch yesterday I can put it pretty easily...

Because they are better.

All of the advanced functionality I get from my Pebble is thanks to 3rd party apps, and all of the ones I use will actually be default in Android Wear.

So add a much nicer screen into the mix, and I personally think the newer Android Wear phones are much better. However this is my opinion.

Also the obvious reason is I do not need cross platform functionality as right now, although I use OS X for all of my daily computing needs, I am committed to Android as my smartphone platform and have no plans of switching over anytime in the near future.

At the end of the day, and again this is from someone who currently owns a Pebble and did preorder The Samsung Gear Live Android Wear smartwatch, the all have a very long way to go before they are really super useful on their own.

The reason I own either is.

1. I still like watches
  2. I actually do find them useful while at work.
  3. They also help me in my position at work. Being the "Manager of Technology" (Yes, that is my actual job title) I am the person people come to about all technology related things. Having something like any of these smartwatches just reiterates this fact. So as corny as I know it sounds, for myself it is also a matter of perception.