Xbox Games with Gold: July 2014

Xbox Live Games with Gold for July 2014

Coming up in July, Xbox Live Gold members can look forward to three new free games on Xbox One and Xbox 360. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition will debut on Xbox One as a free download, replacing June?s Xbox One Games with Gold title Halo: Spartan Assault (so be sure to grab it now if you haven?t already). Max: The Curse of Brotherhood will remain available for Xbox Live Gold members to download for Xbox One.

On Xbox 360, starting Tuesday, July 1st, Gotham City Imposters (normally US $14.99) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through July 15th.

Then on July 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download BattleBlock Theater (normally US $14.99) for free through July 31st.

boxartsm.jpg boxartsm.jpg

*Titles are available as free downloads for qualifying Xbox Live Gold members in all markets where Xbox Live is available. Some regions may offer different titles depending on market availability.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/26/xbox-live-games-with-gold-for-july-2014/

-----

Xbox Games with Gold: June 2014

• Like 1

So that's one game for X1....ok, not complaining! Guacamelee seems...nice. Haven't played more than ten mins of Max, still need to spend more time with it eventually.

Not surprised....  There isn't much content out for the X1 to just give away.  Just about all content is a "new release" to a degree.

At least with the program starting on XB1 so soon into it's life, compared to the 360, I'd say you're at least going to get newer content as time goes on.

Guacamelee debuting on the service is great, but I missed the small print that it's only one X1 game per month :no: It's not enough in face of PS4 doing two per month, many of which are free on debut since launch.

Also can't believe how cheap they are, offering a F2P, broken, abandoned mess on 360 (GCI) :/

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood was actually a pretty good game.  I finished the story a couple weeks ago and enjoyed playing it.  Halo: Spartan Assault, while a pretty decent game, isn't really keeping my interest very much at all.  I was really hoping for something like Forza  5 though, but free is free.  I'll check out Guacamelee next week and see what that's about.

Guacamelee debuting on the service is great, but I missed the small print that it's only one X1 game per month :no: It's not enough in face of PS4 doing two per month, many of which are free on debut since launch.

Also can't believe how cheap they are, offering a F2P, broken, abandoned mess on 360 (GCI) :/

It's hard to believe that you can complain about this when even games like these already beat the amount you pay for live in a month. I mean, what jerks for only offering one $15 game per month when you're paying $5 per month (or likely less if you're not a sucker). Just because Sony may offer more doesn't make what Microsoft is offering not enough. It's still a great value.

It's hard to believe that you can complain about this when even games like these already beat the amount you pay for live in a month. I mean, what jerks for only offering one $15 game per month when you're paying $5 per month (or likely less if you're not a sucker). Just because Sony may offer more doesn't make what Microsoft is offering not enough. It's still a great value.

These are rental services when you remove the marketing fluff. Any price you pay for them is going to be less than the price to outright buy the games reagrdless. People are allowed to critque something which they paid for, and it's not limited to GwG either. Every month the same thing happens with PS+ over the lineup, myself included, even if it doesn't effect me (July's double dip filling one spot for example). Plenty of peope seem to be annoyed by it from the comments I read online, so it's a legitimate complaint.

It's made worse IMO when it comes to GwG because

1: Microsoft have the deep pockets to more than match PS+

2: They offer less games for more ?/$ per month in comparison to PS+

3: The anniversary and "relaunch"/introduction on X1 was supposed to be an improvement after listening to the fans. Guacamelee debuting for "free" is great like I said, and to be fair, MS maybe don't have the same digital download library in comparison, but they need to boost it soon. If a strapped cash Sony is offering games almost as quick as they can debut, there's no reason MS can't. If we were talking about retail games then I can see the issue and why both services are yet to introduce them, but we're not.

4: This month in particular because they're "offering" a F2P game that is broken as hell / dead online.

• Like 1

These are rental services when you remove the marketing fluff. Any price you pay for them is going to be less than the price to outright buy the games reagrdless. People are allowed to critque something which they paid for, and it's not limited to GwG either. Every month the same thing happens with PS+ over the lineup, myself included, even if it doesn't effect me (July's double dip filling one spot for example). Plenty of peope seem to be annoyed by it from the comments I read online, so it's a legitimate complaint.

3: The anniversary and "relaunch"/introduction on X1 was supposed to be an improvement after listening to the fans. Guacamelee debuting for "free" is great like I said, and to be fair, MS maybe don't have the same digital download library in comparison, but they need to boost it soon. If a strapped cash Sony is offering games almost as quick as they can debut, there's no reason MS can't. If we were talking about retail games then I can see the issue and why both services are yet to introduce them, but we're not.

4: This month in particular because they're "offering" a F2P game that is broken as hell / dead online.

You're not paying for it on either service though - they're both charging you to play games online, that's it. These free games are just gravy (or marketing fluff as you say), so to complain about it just makes gamers sound entitled. It is fair to say they shouldn't offer up a game that's broken if they're going to do this sort of program, but that's a whole different point on top of what you and apparently plenty others are bothered about.

You're not paying for it on either service though - they're both charging you to play games online, that's it. These free games are just gravy (or marketing fluff as you say), so to complain about it just makes gamers sound entitled. It is fair to say they shouldn't offer up a game that's broken if they're going to do this sort of program, but that's a whole different point on top of what you and apparently plenty others are bothered about.

Not on the PS3 or Vita.

People critique the content PS offers each month as well, if nobody did PS+ may never have got to the quality it has, and XB Games with Gold could've stayed with titles 2~3 years old. No one is entitled for offering feedback on the quality of an offering.

• Like 1

For me personally, this month will see me wanting two of the free games across the 360 and X1. Battleblock Theater is great and Gaucamelee looks really fun. So that is enough to make it a win for me lol. Every month for MS and Sony platforms, I get to see if any of the free content is relevant to me lol.

Hopefully, MS does not have to rely on recycling titles for long as the library on the X1 grows.

Didn't Sony also skimp a bit this month, or was it last month, with less new games being offered than usual?

It seems to me that the X1 issues is similar to the PS4, a lack of content to offer a good variety among their free games.

Don't worry though, I'm sure both services will pick up the pace once more games have been out a while, especially on the X1. The Gotham game on the 360 did not sound like a good game, so definitely a pass for me. I didn't know it was F2P though.

No one is entitled for offering feedback on the quality of an offering.

I think you mean the opposite.

Anyone is allowed to criticize the quality of these games. Of course, that does not mean its a universal opinion, but I'm sure that MS takes all of the complaints into consideration when they are trying to find games to offer. Of course, we have seen choices by Sony and MS that clearly do not please everyone, so there is an element of 'luck' going on as well lol. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Sony and MS are sort of forced into offering some games that might not be super popular but were the only pieces of content they could secure for that month.

No, PS+ was introduced because MP was free on PSN. Microsoft charged for MP and introduced GwG as a reward scheme. People offset the value in their mind that the games are icing/gravy on top of those services for PS4/X1 MP.

It's nothing to do with entitement and I brought up the issue of offering a broken F2P game from the very start.

Didn't Sony also skimp a bit this month, or was it last month, with less new games being offered than usual?

It seems to me that the X1 issues is similar to the PS4, a lack of content to offer a good variety among their free games.

Don't worry though, I'm sure both services will pick up the pace once more games have been out a while, especially on the X1. The Gotham game on the 360 did not sound like a good game, so definitely a pass for me. I didn't know it was F2P though.

No, unless you're talking about the "evergreen" titles which have been discontinued? In their place they bumped the PS4 count to 2 games per month and the same for PS3/Vita.

Microsoft have taken away "ownership" to introduce the service to X1, and for this month at least, removed all 360 retail games completely. As I said earlier, expecting retail PS4 and X1 games already isn't realistic, so they could be offering more on 360 while including more digital games on X1 until they're ready for retail games.

• Like 2

To be fair there isn't a ton a content on the One where it can just be given away.  Console isn't even a year old.  So essentially all games are to some extent, new.

People do have the right to criticize (Considering your paying for Gold and all).  But for every action there may be a equal or greater reaction.  I don't want the quality of Live to suffer just for some games...

• Like 1

They'll offer more for the Xbox One when they have more to Offer, the library isn't exactly huge, if they give you lots right now then they're going to blow through the list quick, and then what?  Have a month without anything or do we start over from the beginning of the list again only to have people complain that they're not giving us something new?

Just wait, they'll up it to 2 or more in time, it's not like you're exactly losing out on anything.

To be fair there isn't a ton a content on the One where it can just be given away.  Console isn't even a year old.  So essentially all games are to some extent, new.

People do have the right to criticize (Considering your paying for Gold and all).  But for every action there may be a equal or greater reaction.  I don't want the quality of Live to suffer just for some games...

Like I said, Sony can manage it, no reason MS can't. Some of the multiplatform games have been part of PS+ like Contrast, Outlast etc.

They should be investing in indies like Sony did to bolster their early offers until they can include retail X1 games, avoiding this very situation. Basically what we're seeing is a premature offer / programme instead.

And if they couldn't, there's no reason they can't offer more 360 retail / XBLA titles to make up for it. It's not about wanting more more more, but at least match them when you're playing catch up and have the advantage.

Like I said, Sony can manage it, no reason MS can't. Some of the multiplatform games have been part of PS+ like Contrast, Outlast etc.

They should be investing in indies like Sony did to bolster their early offers until they can include retail X1 games, avoiding this very situation. Basically what we're seeing is a premature offer / programme instead.

And if they couldn't, there's no reason they can't offer more 360 retail / XBLA titles to make up for it. It's not about wanting more more more, but at least match them when you're playing catch up and have the advantage.

You think Sony can manage it, but people thought they could manage giving away online gaming for free and that Microsoft should've stopped charging for that a long time ago. They obviously couldn't. They're hemorrhaging money everywhere else, it wouldn't surprise me if things weren't as rosy as they seem.

And they are investing in indies. Not sure how you think they aren't.

You think Sony can manage it, but people thought they could manage giving away online gaming for free and that Microsoft should've stopped charging for that a long time ago. They obviously couldn't. They're hemorrhaging money everywhere else, it wouldn't surprise me if things weren't as rosy as they seem.

And they are investing in indies. Not sure how you think they aren't.

Not talking about the long term plan or ID@XBOX, those are perfectly fine and exactly what they need to do. They should have made the push earlier to get more indies on XBL for X1's launch like Sony did for PS4. Scrapping the parity clause should be first on their to-do list seeing as many games are going to PSN/PS+ first, delaying launches on X1 and subsequently delaying any possible additions to GwG as a result too.

But yeah, not impressed with the lackluster offers. June was a great start, sadly it was also a one off. GwG needs more time in the oven or they need to dig deeper into their pockets.

Not talking about the long term plan or ID@XBOX, those are perfectly fine and exactly what they need to do. They should have made the push earlier to get more indies on XBL for X1's launch like Sony did for PS4. Scrapping the parity clause should be first on their to-do list seeing as many games are going to PSN/PS+ first, delaying launches on X1 and subsequently delaying any possible additions to GwG as a result too.

But yeah, not impressed with the lackluster offers. June was a great start, sadly it was also a one off. GwG needs more time in the oven or they need to dig deeper into their pockets.

Let it cook and not give away free games in the meantime? That doesn't make much sense. And again, you telling them to reach in their pockets just makes you sound entitled as you're already getting things that are legitimately greater value than you're putting in. Also ID@Xbox isn't a long term plan. Those games are coming out now. They've been coming out for a couple months now and in the last few weeks at a pretty significant clip (e.g. http://majornelson.com/2014/06/27/idxbox-week-in-review/ - six in the last ten days).

Let it cook and not give away free games in the meantime? That doesn't make much sense. And again, you telling them to reach in their pockets just makes you sound entitled as you're already getting things that are legitimately greater value than you're putting in. Also ID@Xbox isn't a long term plan. Those games are coming out now. They've been coming out for a couple months now and in the last few weeks at a pretty significant clip (e.g. http://majornelson.com/2014/06/27/idxbox-week-in-review/ - six in the last ten days).

ID@Xbox isn't long term? So they're planning to end the programme any day now? You've taken what I said the wrong way. I know it's already in effect and it's here to stay. I'm saying that they should have reached out to indies earlier for the launch and early months post-launch.

I'm not being entitled about it, if that were the case I'd be asking for ridiculous expectations, but clearly Sony are able to offer a better lineup / number with all their money issues at a cheaper price. It's working for them too as PS+ has seen huge numbers since PS4's launch. It's not just about pleasing your current customers but attracting new ones. Right now PS+ is still winning those new buyers. Already told you why the "paying less for more than their value" point is useless, we're talking about a rental scheme. It's always going to be cheaper than outright buying them.

"Let it cook" on X1 and bolster your 360 offerings like I mentioned earlier. If you want to believe the excuse there isn't enough content to begin with that is. IMO there is, especially when you tout 6 games in the last 10 days. What's the excuse for not including retail games on 360 this month and only including 2 XBLA games?

But we're going in circles, so agree to disagree.

Clearly, MS' GwG program is still inferior to Sony, that is just the reality of it. Its still a good program that offers great value, but it has not reached that 'awesome' level yet.

We are now in a time when customers expect and demand this kind of extra, free content. Sony and MS will get hit by negative reactions if they don't keep pace with each other in those free offerings. Each month, the titles will be thoroughly scrutinized for 'quality' and quantity. MS screwed up this month by recycling a game from last month, even if that game is still free. Sony is the leader in this area, always choosing the right combo of quality and quantity to please most people.

MS is also not offering enough free games on the 360. Clearly, it looks like demand is hovering around wanting 3 games free a month, maybe 1 retail game and two free arcade titles. At least until you can start offering retail games for the X1.

I will say though that the deals they offer each month are actually good deals. They had Tomb Raider on sale for $30 at one point for example

No, unless you're talking about the "evergreen" titles which have been discontinued? In their place they bumped the PS4 count to 2 games per month and the same for PS3/Vita.

I was actually talking about how Sony kind of 'cheated' I think last month or this month and in effect was not even offering the normal two. I think you mentioned it in the PS+ thread.

Scrapping the parity clause should be first on their to-do list seeing as many games are going to PSN/PS+ first, delaying launches on X1 and subsequently delaying any possible additions to GwG as a result too.

Seems like the parity clause isn't hurting all developers, since MS seems to be lifting that requirement more and more (the Oddworld announcement being the latest example of that). Maybe they are getting ready to just do away with it.