New Stereo Problem

Hello,

I need some help. I recently bought a new stereo for my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder(This one to be exact. Pioneer FH-X500UI) I got it all installed works good except it sounds like there is too much power coming from the stereo and its overwhelming the speakers is the best way I can describe it. I made sure the speaker wires were hooked up correctly. Could it be that the new stereo is too powerful for the stock speakers? I'll try and take an audio recording so you all can hear what it sounds like.

Hello,

I need some help. I recently bought a new stereo for my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder(This one to be exact. Pioneer FH-X500UI) I got it all installed works good except it sounds like there is too much power coming from the stereo and its overwhelming the speakers is the best way I can describe it. I made sure the speaker wires were hooked up correctly. Could it be that the new stereo is too powerful for the stock speakers? I'll try and take an audio recording so you all can hear what it sounds like.

Your stock head unit most likely was pushing out less power than the new pioneer one. You can adjust the bass and treble levels... as well as the fade/balance. Did your pathfinder have an amplified system already? Sometimes that'll also cause distortion. My old car had an infinity factory amp and never sounded that great with the aftermarket head unit I had back then.

Yes there is a very good chance that you are pushing more power to the speakers than they can handle. I would suggest turning the bass down to a negative number (I usually keep this around -2) and possibly the treble as well. The bass usually fixes the issue.

As above, too much power, ###### speakers.  I'd recommend looking into some new ones to get better sound out of the new head unit.  I dunno about world brands, but cheap Pioneers are usually fine.

Want the best?  Focal.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies everyone. Sorry for the lat reply, I've been really busy lately. I'm going to buy some new speakers and see if that fixes it. In the mean time I'll try adjusting the settings you guys recommended.