Preinstall Laptop Question + SSD

Two Questions:

Can i extract the Windows 7 CD Key with Key Finder on a HP laptop and use my DVD to install a clean install on the same laptop?

Also how likely is it there is a Space for an additional HD ( SSD ) ?

Two Questions:

Can i extract the Windows 7 CD Key with Key Finder on a HP laptop and use my DVD to install a clean install on the same laptop?

a)  Depends.  Where did you DVD come from?  You can't use an OEM key with, say, retail, volume, TechNet or MSDN media.  Ordinarily, an HP laptop would come with proprietary software to burn an install disc yourself.  Or, you can order one from HP for cheap.

b)  It's unlikely to be the case, or it would show pretty high on your laptop's feature list.  For the few laptops that do let you do that, you typically have to remove the CD/DVD drive and have a proprietary hard drive enclosure you can put in its place.  Or something like a second battery.  But, that's rather uncommon.  If your laptop had the feature, you'd know already.

Two Questions:

You need more than just the key to back up BIOS-powered activation. Some certificate stuff.

Luckily, there's ABR for that. http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

You need the beta with Windows 7 support. I've been using it for over three years now, works perfectly. Has always been in beta.

Download, hit backup, zip it all up, hit restore after reinstalling. Just do the reinstall without a key - it'll put Windows in a 30 day grace period. While in that period, just hit restore and you'll be back activated in a few seconds!

Your key if not on the bottom of the device is in the SLIC, which is part of the bios. the windows 7 install shouldn't even prompt you for a key (I know win8 don't)

If its not in the bios its likely a certificate activation and heed the advice in using ABR. This may help. http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-check-or-verify-pc-motherboard-bios-slic-version-is-slp-oa-2-0-or-2-1-for-oem-activation/

As for the additional HDD you'd have to consult the manual. My HP is dual drive 17" laptop. I had a 15 inch acer which was single drive, but a $20 part on ebay you soldered in would make it dual drive, as well as all Mac Minis just need a cable assembly to support another HDD. 

Its Windows 7 and I just don't like the Extra stuff that's added.

if it's an OEM key for windows 7 you can install a normal retail image and then use a certificate to re-inject the key from bios (just google "install windows 7 oem certificate")

Hello,

Another option would be to just order the recovery media fro Hewlett-Packard and use that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

Another option would be to just order the recovery media fro Hewlett-Packard and use that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thats missing the point.

If the HP laptop came preinstalled with Windows 7 there should be an Windows 7 sticker on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery compartment.

I never trusted those stickers. They're usually a different kind of activation.

Backing up your key+certificate with ABR means you have completely legal, worry-free, permanent offline activation. It's super simple too, never any issues with reactivating after changing some hardware, ...