Windows 8.1 Refresh help?

I?m trying to do a refresh of my system because it?s having several problems, one of which that the charm menu keeps disappearing ( can?t hit the start button, or bring out the charm menu unless using win+c )

Whenever I try to do the refresh, it says I need media? So, my question is basically how can I do a refresh without a Win 8.1 disc, when I only have a key for my OEM Win 8?

Please help, and thanks in advance.

Have you deleted the recovery partition made by OEM. If you did then you won't be any longer able to do system restore. The option will be download Win 8.1 and do a fresh install and then create system image for future use.

Have you deleted the recovery partition made by OEM. If you did then you won't be any longer able to do system restore. The option will be download Win 8.1 and do a fresh install and then create system image for future use.

I don't believe I have, no, but it won't allow me to do a refresh. I can't get pass the screen where it wants me to insert media because it says some files are missing.

Edit: Is it possible to get a Windows 8.1 ISO using legal Mircosoft Generic Keys for the refresh?

If your computer came preinstalled then you might have key embedded in your bios. If you have Win 8.1 core edition on your computer then simply download Win 8.1 core edition and system will automatically put your win 8.1 during install.

My system came with Windows 8 (OEM, I had it built by a company that does gaming computers ), and I updated to Windows 8.1 through the Store app. However, I've got a number of problems going on ( nothing too major, just think a refresh would be better than a total reformat ) which is why I was asking if there was a way to do a refresh, and if it's possible to get a Windows 8.1 iso with my OEM key.

Sorry, I'm not very good at providing enough information I guess, I realize I failed at that as I reread my first post, I'm just frustrated with my computer woes.

Just reinstall from that 8.1 ISO. Then use one of the generic 8.1 product keys ... usually core if it came with the system. In your case maybe pro.

Then once install use this small program to find the key in your bios.

Then go to settings activate using the key in your bios.

Windows 8 Key finder.zip

It won't let me use my key, says "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8." Also tried this guide https://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-how-to-get-the-windows-81-iso-and-create-a-usb-install-stick but I end up with the same message.

It won't let me use my key, says "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8." Also tried this guide https://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-how-to-get-the-windows-81-iso-and-create-a-usb-install-stick but I end up with the same message.

Have you tried contacting MS and explaining your problem?

They are usually pretty good at this. You can chat with them online, so it won't cost you anything

you just gotta find yourself a good 8.1 update one ISO :D

4652DC6EBFEBE02C6A63E167C36E3FAEDFB93999

Then use that in combination with Post #7 . I've used that method a lot. Works great.

Just throwing this out there, but have you done a health check on your HDD? If there are bad sectors or the drive is failing that would hinder the reading of some system files that might be causing your issue.