Stephen Toulouse, Former Xbox Live Director Of Enforcement, Joins Gears Of War Team

Stephen Toulouse, Former Xbox Live Director Of Enforcement, Joins Gears Of War Team

by Mike Futter on June 27, 2014 at 07:11 PM

StepToBT-610.jpg

Stephen Toulouse, who was a Microsoft employee for 18 years before departing in 2012, has rejoined his former company. Toulouse will be joining Rod Fergusson?s team at Black Tusk on the next Gears of War project as the director of community engagement. The news was announced on Major Nelson's podcast.

Toulouse served as Xbox Live?s director of policy and enforcement, setting the tone for the gaming division?s community standards. In that role, Toulouse instituted a policy change that allowed users to express their sexual orientation in their Gamertags. Prior to the 2010 revision, users were prohibited from doing so, touching off a widespread call for reform.

Since leaving Microsoft, Toulouse served as director of product management for Gaems (portable gaming entertainment cases) and has been with HBO as an infrastructure project manager.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/27/stephen-toulouse-former-xbox-live-director-of-enforcement-joins-gears-of-war-team.aspx

http://majornelson.com/cast/2014/06/27/mnr-516-we-finally-catch-up-after-e3-2014/

• Like 1

Got to start back from the beginning, work your way back up, and this time don't start a crapfest on twitter or w/e. 

Got to start back from the beginning, work your way back up, and this time don't start a crapfest on twitter or w/e.

Why did he leave originally? I always wondered if he was a casualty of the Xbox live "hacking" scandal.

Why did he leave originally? I always wondered if he was a casualty of the Xbox live "hacking" scandal.

I doubt it. He's said that one of the reasons he left is because he got tons of death threats and attacks (as a result of banning cheaters, for instance) that Microsoft wasn't equipped to track or respond to. He was also a victim of SWATing (where SWAT teams will be called in for bogus threats) from online tough guys.

Was just talking with a friend about how few people actually ever leave MS once they reach a certain tenure. Even the ones that somehow mess up like Don retain ties to MS via Zynga CEO positions that were "arranged". And let's not even mention Phil Harrison, i think he's not even sure who he works for anymore. One console maker or the other :D