Pangu Jailbreak for iOS 7.1.x

I'm not here to link the jailbreak but to discuss it. Some people are enraged because this was released, however I do not agree with those people, specially Stefan Esser (i0n1c) with turned out to be one of the biggest crybabies in the scene.

First of all, the scare mongering, principally coming from Esser itself:

1.- Pangu means that iOS 8 will be harder to Jailbreak: Incorrect. Pangu is using an exploit found in an obsolete security certificate many refused to exploit because of legal reasons. Them, being Chinese, could risk it. NO ONE would exploit this on iOS 8 either anyway.

2.- Pangu install malware/spyware/trojans: Incorrect, iH8Sn0w and @comex already audited the code and nothing dangerous was found. The only thing Pangu installs is a Chinese pirate store and that can be avoided by clicking a selection box at install.

3.- Pangu was unnecessary because iOS 8 is around the corner: The following point is totally my opinion: Jailbreaks should be released ONLY for the latest stable release of a major iOS. 7.1.x will be the last 7 release and also the last release supported by iPhone 4. Have the people who are still finding their i4's enough for their needs no right to jailbreak their devices? Many people are saying that it's their fault for upgrading to iOS 7.1 but honestly iOS was unusable on these devices prior 7.1.x. A jailbreak for iOS 7.1.x means fantastic news for people that cant upgrade to iOS 8 or for those who will wait for a mature release of it.

Have you jailbroke your device?

Ive jailbroken my device and its great, Pangu did a great job with the jailbreak and it works just fine here. 

I do agree with you on your points, it is safe, and works just as good as other jailbreaks in the past.

I used it too on my 4S. It worked just fine and I'm happy. :) And I agree with those points, good thing that this team had the balls to step up and release a JB for 7.1 while others wait for God knows what...

Can't seem to find a Mac OS X link...

That's because there is no OSX version yet. They said it will be released soon. Also, maybe, a Linux version. You can try running the Win version via Wine, see if it works :)

That's because there is no OSX version yet. They said it will be released soon. Also, maybe, a Linux version. You can try running the Win version via Wine, see if it works :)

That would not be a solution since WINE does not have direct access to certain hardware registers, like USB.

That would not be a solution since WINE does not have direct access to certain hardware registers, like USB.

I didn't know that. Well, I guess he'll have to wait a little longer then. :)

I didn't know that. Well, I guess he'll have to wait a little longer then. :)

We all have :( I dont know why a jailbreak for a specific company OS is not released first on the very same company's desktop platform.

We all have :( I dont know why a jailbreak for a specific company OS is not released first on the very same company's desktop platform.

Who knows. But, to be honest, how hard is to do a quick Win installation in a VM and run the damn thing? :) I believe it's a lot faster than waiting for the OSX version/Linux version, right?

it apparently works in parallels well, not sure about wine.

Your 3rd comment about only jailbreaking the latest iOS versions is slightly flawed though. I agree EOL devices should get the latest iOS version, but they will ONLY be able to update to the latest iOS7 when they attempt to. Apple will keep signing it for a LONG time.

If the bugs were developed/held until iOS 8 and then released, both the latest ios7 and the newest ios8 could possibly be done using a lot of the same unpatched code - this could possibly make less work for jailbreak devs resulting in a faster turn-around. Since bugs were disclosed for the 7.0.6 and now 7.1.1 firmwares apple now has a chance to patch them and could possibly release a 7.1.2 and 7.1.3, securing ios7 before 8 comes out. With the exception of the SSL bugs, they rarely update older EOL firmwares.

I am never going to upgrade my iOS 7.0.6 even if apple begged me or wanted to pay me million dollars for it. NEVER!!! jailbreak is everything you know!!! You do what you want. Otherwise, you are stuck with same old B.S UI, apps, customization, etc.

I'll keep my current iOS forever, unless there is a stable jail-break release for newer iOS and if it can support doing "Everything" that I want.........to avoid spending hundreds of dollars every day.. 

I am never going to upgrade my iOS 7.0.6 even if apple begged me or wanted to pay me million dollars for it. NEVER!!! jailbreak is everything you know!!! You do what you want. Otherwise, you are stuck with same old B.S UI, apps, customization, etc.

I'll keep my current iOS forever, unless there is a stable jail-break release for newer iOS and if it can support doing "Everything" that I want.........to avoid spending hundreds of dollars every day.. 

7.1.1 probably runs better, just saying. read a LOT of comments regarding better battery life. Just ensure you NEVER plug your device into your computer while holding the home button. Instantly kill a jailbreak as you have to restore to the latest firmware. Unless its an old iDevice that allows shsh blobs

What's unstable on Pangu?

I jailbroke my iPad Air, Mini, and iPhone 5s as soon as it came out.  So glad its out. At least this will give those iPhone 4 users one last version with jailbreak since they aren't getting iOS8

What are you doing that would normally cost you hundreds of dollars every day without a jailbreak?

VirtualBox is free and has USB passthrough...

I know, that's why I asked in another post why is it so hard to install Win in a VM and use the JB tool. :)

1.- Pangu means that iOS 8 will be harder to Jailbreak: Incorrect. Pangu is using an exploit found in an obsolete security certificate many refused to exploit because of legal reasons. Them, being Chinese, could risk it. NO ONE would exploit this on iOS 8 either anyway.

Has me curious.  Care to elaborate?

I actually don't feel the need to jailbreak. The only reason may be to install a torrent client but my QNAP is getting remotely controlled so that's a non issue.

Can anyone list few other benefits of jailbreak these days?