Windows 8.1 hangs

So recently i upgraded to Windows 8.1 and it was fine. I upgraded my hard drives also a day later to a Samsung 840 Evo and migrated my old drive data to the SSD. So the data is a couple years old (didn't clean install 8.1) Anyway once i cloned my data Windows 8.1 started miss behaving, yes the boot up and opening apps is super quick but sometimes when browsing it just hangs and i can't ctrl-alt-del and i have to wait for it to pop up before i can do anything. So i'm hoping someone can tell me of some ways to fix the problem of the hangs. I've tired various options, all my drivers are up to date. I don't have all that much junk on here as i'm very OCD about keeping my stuff and drives clean and organised. Any help would be great, the hangs are getting very annoying. 

Oh just in case anyone needs to know. My specs are:

Asrock 970 Extreme 4

AMD Fx 6300

Gigabyte Windforce 3x 770

Corsair GS700

Corsair H100i 

Samsung 840 Evo

WD Black 

Might be your videocard if your display freezes, nvidia did that on my pc for quite some time with older drivers. I also have the same ssd

If its doing it with a browser, see if an addon is causing it. Disable them. Look in task manager / event viewer. See whats hogging the CPU. I've got the same SSD but havent used it yet. Still have to get the PSU and ram for the system I'm building

Before I can use it / install anything on it. But I'll be doing a clean install / not cloning another hdd

Also, check the device manager to see if everything is installed. I have the Razer Blade 14 (2013 edition) and when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 it kept hanging when starting up (forcing me to power off and start again). I was confused, I have 512GB (2 256GB ssds)  and the system booted quickly before. So I restored the factory image and updated again. Turns out the Bluetooth wasn't installed properly so after uninstalling/re-installing the Atheros/Killer drivers after updating to 8.1 the unknown device went away and the system boots and operates as fast as before.

You only experience these "hangs" during browsing? What browser are you using? And I'd start by disabling all add-ons for that browser and start enabling one by one to see which one is causing these "hangs". (If you only experience these "hangs" during browsing off course...)

You only experience these "hangs" during browsing? What browser are you using? And I'd start by disabling all add-ons for that browser and start enabling one by one to see which one is causing these "hangs". (If you only experience these "hangs" during browsing off course...)

I'm using Google Chrome. Yeah the hangs only happen when browsing.

Seeing how the SSD is brand new, maybe you got a dud.

I don't think it's the SSD i think something went wrong when upgrading, It could be worth mentioning i had to upgrade to Windows 8 then to 8.1 .

Also, check the device manager to see if everything is installed. I have the Razer Blade 14 (2013 edition) and when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 it kept hanging when starting up (forcing me to power off and start again). I was confused, I have 512GB (2 256GB ssds)  and the system booted quickly before. So I restored the factory image and updated again. Turns out the Bluetooth wasn't installed properly so after uninstalling/re-installing the Atheros/Killer drivers after updating to 8.1 the unknown device went away and the system boots and operates as fast as before.

I'll have a look but it's not during start up, as i mentioned it's only during browsing.

So did you check the alignment?

Yes, it's fine.

Might be your videocard if your display freezes, nvidia did that on my pc for quite some time with older drivers. I also have the same ssd

That's an idea, i'll take a look thanks.

As it only happens during browsing and the fact it's Google Chrome, just reinstall Chrome? Tried another browser? Opera or something like that? Any add-ons installed in Chrome? Disabled them to see if it makes a difference? You're not telling us much, so we can't really help you here.

As it only happens during browsing and the fact it's Google Chrome, just reinstall Chrome? Tried another browser? Opera or something like that? Any add-ons installed in Chrome? Disabled them to see if it makes a difference? You're not telling us much, so we can't really help you here.

I agree with Starbuc84, start by using another browser. Troubleshooting is about eliminating components one by one if you don't know what the problem is and Chrome is very easy to rule out as a cause by simply trying a different brower. If it still happens then you know it's not Chrome.

Edit: Typo

this is windows. despite you have amazing system specs and your drivers up2date, no yellow !!!s or ????s in the device manager it still does not work the way it should.

i experienced the same problem with my notebook (hp 255g1) and win7 and browsing the web with google chrome. 3 tabs open, and it basically hangs, nearly crashes, you have to press 3 or 4 times on a button/menu to make it work.

my view is, that, you can do 2 things now:

- change the browser or whatever software is not working with your os. i am against this, because first, google chrome is not a newcomer and there is a big company behind it, stuff like this just has to work. this is not a highend 3d game, this is webbrowsing. what will happen next? being unable to use adobe reader? or some dvd burning software? the fact remains, that the root, the underlying piece of software, the operating system, is faulty per se and obviously not up to daily basic tasks. shocking, but not surprising.

- change the os. yes thats what i would do. you can still dualboot if you need windows for some special apps, but basically i would just move over to linux. with your specs, unity or kde with all effects on will still fly on your system and hear, hear, google chrome works without any problem thats a save bet.

the biggest troubleshooting you ll ever have with linux once running is outdated package lists/sources. that means you just unselect them and reload the lists. if windows was just that easy....

Not sure this tip will help with your issue but I found that Chrome plays much nicer under Windows 8x if you uncheck "automatically detect settings" for Internet Explorer located in internet options-connections-LAN settings.

The "automatically detect settings" is on by default in both Windows 7 & 8 but I found this only seemed to slow down Chrome in Windows 8. Perhaps the crashes are related to this.