Any USB based AV and anti spyware?

Question

So I'm going to take a look at my friends computer coming. She said they have some odd viruses they can't get rid of. Are there any free USB based programs I can use to try and get rid of it? Or just put them on the flash drive and install it on theirs. Malware bytes I was thinking. Maybe a free scanner from ESET. (They have norton). What else?

I haven't been there yet to figure out which virus but if I can't get rid of it I'll just restore her windows.

9 answers to this question

Could always try UBCD4win

Has a few AV/Anti malware programs on there, and can be used from USB as well as CD/DVD.  You update the definitions before you create the ISO to burn.

remove HDD, install in computer with good AV/malware. scan it. reinstall once cleaned.

best option is to backup photos and bookmarks and wipe it. Then once its updated/drivers setup make an image with DD or something so you can ALWAYS restore right to that point.

Hello,

Here's a partial listing I came up with:

Alwil - AVAST! Rescue Disk

AnviSoft - Anvi Rescue Disk

AVG - AVG Rescue CD

Avira - Avira Rescue System

Bitdefender - BitDefedner Rescue CD

Comodo - Comodo Rescue Disk

Doctor Web - Dr.Web LiveCD

ESET - ESET SysRescue Live

F-Secure - Rescue CD

Kaspersky Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

McAfee - McAfee CleanBoot (requires license)

Microsoft - Windows Defender Offline

MWTI - eSCAN Rescue Disc (direct link to ISO)

Panda Security - Panda Safe CD

PC Tools - PC Tools Alternate Operating System Scanner (company acquired by Symantec;last updated in 2010)

Rising - Rising Antvirus Linux (direct link to ISO)

Sophos - Sophos Bootable Anti-Virus

Surfright - HitmanPro.Kickstart USB

Symantec - Norton Bootable Recovery Tool

ThreatTrack - VIPRE Rescue

Trend Micro - Rescue Disk

Trinity Rescue Kit - Trinity Rescue Kit (contains engines from five different anti-malware programs)

TrustPort - WinPE ? BartPE (tutorials on how to make rescue CDs)

VirusBlokAda - VBA Rescue (direct link to ISO)

Zillya Antivirus - Zillya Live (direct link to ISO)

I can't say that I've tried all of them, so as usual, exercise caution before use (e.g., you might want to consider imaging the hard disk drive before you clean it).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

My vote for Kaspersky Rescue Disc also. Used it several times with great effect to clean up machines with fiddly infections. Just make sure you allow it to update first.

It wont run from the flash drive (on your running system) but the ESET System rescue live CD has an install option for a bootable flash drive. I use it all the time and it has worked well for me.

http://www.eset.com/int/support/sysrescue/

(and its Free too)

I know Hiren's used to have some copyright issues, but UBCD, and PortableApps all have a suite of A/V utilities that can either run from a PE, or within the OS

A PE on a flash drive with some small portable apps & you're in business.

I use Yumi installer and have about 6-7 different bootable ISO on my 64GB Sandisk Extreme USB3

It will have about 10 Gig in ISO, PE, then 50 Gig of storage incase anything needs to be pulled off and copied over to the flash drive in the event of possible data corruption/loss