5 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,384 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 29 June 2014 - 16:27

This is the speaker set specifications:

Satellites: 48 watts RMS (2 x 8 W front, 16 W center, 2 x 8 W rear)
Subwoofer: 27 watts RMS

The speakers seem fine but the subwoofer is too tame for me (although it surprised me for 27 W, very impressive!)

I only use the system whilst connected to the PC.

I have a budget of around £80 for, basically, more bass.

What are my options?

#2 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,663 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 July 2014 - 18:08

It'll be hard to get a decent sounding sub for that amount, this is the closest to that budget I could find that comes with a reasonable bass response.

#3 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,384 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:38

It'll be hard to get a decent sounding sub for that amount, this is the closest to that budget I could find that comes with a reasonable bass response.

I was thinking £80-£100 for JUST a subwoofer was a lot of money, considering this 5.1 system sounds very decent and it only cost £70 :o

#4 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:44

Sadly PC audio isn't really up to the mustard, and high quality audio can cost thousands

#5 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,312 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:31

Is it even possible to add a subwoofer to your setup?  I'm not sure how you'd wire it in.

Regardless, it's going to run you at very least $200-250 (USD) for a powered 100W subwoofer.  They get very expensive very quickly.

http://www.crutchfie...ers.html?tp=187

Honestly, your best bet is probably to buy a new speaker system.  If you want more boom, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 will rattle your walls.  They're a little bit outside of your price range though.  If you must have 5.1, then obviously that won't do anyway.  I have the Klispch 5.1 Ultra system, which is insanely loud, but it's not made any more.

I'm not sure there is a good solution for your budget unfortunately. :(  Unless you buy something used.

#6 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:25

Is it even possible to add a subwoofer to your setup?  I'm not sure how you'd wire it in.

Regardless, it's going to run you at very least $200-250 (USD) for a powered 100W subwoofer.  They get very expensive very quickly.

http://www.crutchfie...ers.html?tp=187

Honestly, your best bet is probably to buy a new speaker system.  If you want more boom, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 will rattle your walls.  They're a little bit outside of your price range though.  If you must have 5.1, then obviously that won't do anyway.  I have the Klispch 5.1 Ultra system, which is insanely loud, but it's not made any more.

I'm not sure there is a good solution for your budget unfortunately. :(  Unless you buy something used.

Since the sub I linked accepts either passive or active inputs, yes it'd be very easy to add it into almost any setup :). (simply feed the pc into its line in, then the other speakers into its line out, or if your using a powered system, you can use the powered ports, or bypass the ports entirely depending on the amplifier)