I want a TV as a monitor!

Quick question, I want to buy a 32 inch TV for my office and use it as a computer monitor, will I run into any issues? Thanks!

The only issue I can think of is eye bleed.

• Like 2

I have a 60" HD TV as my only monitor. It sits in my living room and I sit about 8 or 9 feet from it. I've scaled the desktop to 150% as well as IE and I'm good to go. I game, work, watch shows, movies, and everything else. I have no issues and everything looks great.

Obviously, my tv is slightly larger than yours. But, if it's going to be on your desk, I don't see you having any issues.

• Like 1

I have a 60" HD TV as my only monitor. It sits in my living room and I sit about 8 or 9 feet from it. I've scaled the desktop to 150% as well as IE and I'm good to go. I game, work, watch shows, movies, and everything else. I have no issues and everything looks great.

Obviously, my tv is slightly larger than yours. But, if it's going to be on your desk, I don't see you having any issues.

I have a 55" in my living room I think I might hook the laptop to it and see how it looks.

Quick question, I want to buy a 32 inch TV for my office and use it as a computer monitor, will I run into any issues? Thanks!

Only problem is , unless you spend some money & get a 32" 4K or something - the image will suck.....

But most people dont realize how crappy their 27" @ 1920x1080 looks - so .....

Only problem is , unless you spend some money & get a 32" 4K or something - the image will suck.....

But most people dont realize how crappy their 27" @ 1920x1080 looks - so .....

I am at that resolution.. It looks fine on my end...   

Nothing is wrong with it.  

I have an old Windows laptop (it's sitting in my closet right now) that has similar to iMac's screen resolution,  something like 2500 x 1400. I was impressed when I got that laptop. The text was small enough.. I could read.. My family can't.

You get what you pay for...... and another thing, they make monitors for a reason. Otherwise you'd only have TVs... look at the Pixel Density between a monitor and TV along with the res of a nice 27 or 30 inch monitor. Spend $500 to $1000 on a nice monitor.

Actually, I'm not saying spend like a mad man, I am saying you are in a position that allows you to buy better quality. I'm not suggesting some crazy high 4K monitor, I'm just saying there is a difference between Black Friday bargain Best Buy TV's and real monitors or quality TV's.  Based on your posts in the past, I would not qualify you as spendy but also not frugal. My mother-in-law on a fixed income wouldn't even buy that 32" to use as a TV (she bought a 40" Samsung).   Just saying, you likely will not be happy with that as a monitor and since you can afford better, you should consider stepping up a bit.

And that has what to do with how much I want to spend for a monitor? I asked the question for a reason. Yes I have abundant cash flow but I don't spend like a mad man. If I can buy a 27 inch monitor for $230 or a 32inch TV for $199, why wouldn't I buy the TV? Having a lot of cash doesn't mean you have to spend every dime.

• Like 3

I have a 55" in my living room I think I might hook the laptop to it and see how it looks.

Not sure what brand you have, but you may have do some adjusting to get things looking like you want. But, I've been running like this for years now. Started with a 42" than upsized to the 60". Everything is clear as day. And, on the metro side of W8, you can even snap 3 apps, 4 if you change the settings.

I play Titanfall and other games, write scripts, edit film, ya know... PC stuff. Happy hunting.

Actually, I'm not saying spend like a mad man, I am saying you are in a position that allows you to buy better quality. I'm not suggesting some crazy high 4K monitor, I'm just saying there is a difference between Black Friday bargain Best Buy TV's and real monitors or quality TV's.  Based on your posts in the past, I would not qualify you as spendy but also not frugal. My mother-in-law on a fixed income wouldn't even buy that 32" to use as a TV (she bought a 40" Samsung).   Just saying, you likely will not be happy with that as a monitor and since you can afford better, you should consider stepping up a bit.

Very fair. Anything you would suggest?

What are your computer specs? What do you want to connect it by? Do you game?

Edit: Also, what 32" TV are you looking at getting?

Actually, as long as the computer supports HDMI, why WOULD you run into any issues?

1080p/60 has become mainstream as far as HDTVs go, and it's been mainstream for PC displays nearly as long.

The issue with TV-as-monitor is resolutions greater than 1080p - while that IS in demand for PCs (even in the mainstream), that is far from the case for TV or even video displays.  1080p *itself* won't be a problem, however.

My current bedroom HDTV, like the one it replaced, is occasionally used for what I've called "big-screen Windows" - which I can get away with because I have wireless keyboard, wireless pointing device AND a wireless dongle that supports wireless-G (wireless-N is under serious consideration, as it would match the router); the lack of wireless-N is why I don't game in all-wireless mode.  (When connected to my normal display and using the default WIRED connection, it's gigabit; therefore gaming is not a problem.)

I am at that resolution.. It looks fine on my end...   

Nothing is wrong with it.  

I have an old Windows laptop (it's sitting in my closet right now) that has similar to iMac's screen resolution,  something like 2500 x 1400. I was impressed when I got that laptop. The text was small enough.. I could read.. My family can't.

shozilla - Its all relative.

I'll tell you a funny story.  When I was researching 27" monitors - I would see all of the $200 - $400 models & seriously felt sorry for people that had to look @ such garbage in contrast to the 1440 rez models.

So I have been thinking I was sitting pretty cool with my LED @ 2560x1440 ..... until I saw the 32" 4K DeLL this morning @ micro center.  :wub:    Now I hate my ASUS.

post-508501-0-32974500-1404190331.jpg

And that has what to do with how much I want to spend for a monitor? I asked the question for a reason. Yes I have abundant cash flow but I don't spend like a mad man. If I can buy a 27 inch monitor for $230 or a 32inch TV for $199, why wouldn't I buy the TV? Having a lot of cash doesn't mean you have to spend every dime.

If you must know about the methods behind my decision, the TV is also Roku ready like the other 4 TV's in my house so when I'm not working, I can watch Hulu or Netflix in my office. I can do more work on my laptop if anything.

Okay that makes sense. I'm gaming more and more on my computer and could probably shift more work to my laptop.

Get the 27" monitor instead of the 32" TV. The superior clarity for PC use is well worth the loss of a few inches, which you won't miss sitting a couple of feet away from the panel.

I'll tell you a funny story.  When I was researching 27" monitors - I would see all of the $200 - $400 models & seriously felt sorry for people that had to look @ such garbage in contrast to the 1440 rez models.

So I have been thinking I was sitting pretty cool with my LED @ 2560x1440 ..... until I saw the 32" 4K DeLL this morning @ micro center.  :wub:    Now I hate my ASUS.

Nice picture quality but $2200 plus tax? I almost ordered a 28" Samsung last week, that was like $700 and it was nice looking 4K. Decided to wait until early next year, by then 4K should be more prevalent with more options and less insane prices. Plus we may finally get single-GPU solutions that can handle 3840 x 2160 and similar resolutions in mid to high settings.

I use a good TV (I don't have the model on me) for a monitor sometimes, and it is absolutely woeful for anything apart from the odd YouTube video, or browsing.  I've tried to do work on it, and the strain on my eyes is huge, plus the resolution even at 1080 sucks.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

That is a nice display.

Don't forget that some people have bad eyesight that can't see well at the screen. Or they can not even tell how good/bad the screen is.

Like I said before, I can read small text. My brother was asking to borrow my PC for a moment, I said sure go ahead.. He noticed the text on the screen.. He was like "Damn! The text is so small, how can you read text this small?" I told him I have good eyesight. :D

The text on my screen is so crisp and smooth! :)

No offence man, but I think our definitions of "crisp and smooth" must be very different.

A decent 27" 2560X1440 screen will blow any TV out of the water, and price wise you won't break the bank if you do some research, but it will be $300+, but SO worth it

I am going to reply like it was 1999 when I asked the same question. Back then i had a Sony Wega. It only had a SDPLUG that would work with my NT4 server. Back them it was pushing a TI 4200 with said plug. Bam. 480 by sh1ty resolution. Hardly could read 10 feet away without tweaking fonts. Good thing my 1024 X 768 VGA was there as a secondary monitor.  Dual CPU FTW....

Get something good - otherwise this thread is a waste.  Nobody wants to compare/contrast junk products ;)

LOL you are not a big fan of getting quality items are you ?

I feel let down in this thread - :argh:

Get a monitor. There's a reason they're more expensive than TV's, they're better. 

There's a very specific look when you use a PC through a TV and it's not a nice one.

I do wonder what TVs you guys were using that they were so awful as a monitor.  Not the experience I had at all.

I'd get one for it, but I'd rather wait for OLED stuff if that's ever happening.

AFAIK with a 32 inch TV your max resolution will be 1366 x 768

Not enough for most purposes, IMO.

Strange my 32 inch Sharp Aquos TV has a resolution of 1080p when i connect my computer to it.