Match 56: Belgium vs USA (Round of 16)

18 members have voted

1. 1. Belgium or USA?

• Belgium
    • USA
  2. 2. How many goals will Belgium score?

• 5+
  3. 3. How many goals will the USA score?

• 5+

Great match, great GK for USA, but too many missed chances. Too bad for the US, I actually wanted them to win. I don't know why, but I always seem to support the team that has the least chances to win. Oh well, maybe in the next WC. :) 

In other news, Cortana is now 8-0. :)

For all the anti-US demagoguery, the United States side pulled out enough miracles that they can still go to the airport with their heads held high - which is a lot more than Portugal, Spain, or England can say.

The goal that Green scored is, after all, the ONLY goal Belgium has surrendered in the entire tournament - and he's not even twenty.

And then there is Tim Howard, the (almost literal) "Rocky Mountain Wall" - most stops against any opponent ever.

And there was NO Altidore - NO Donovan - and against what is (sorry, France) arguably the strongest team in the entire field of sixteen - and that was after being the "other team" to survive the Group of Death.

Notice has been served - the US is real.

It was an incredibly exciting match that was very good on both sides. But it was a deserved win, Belgium had a lot more shots than the US. Awesome goalies on both sides.

But yeah, over here everyone has an incredible amount of respect for the US now. You have given us the single most exciting match in the entire World Cup.

The US took a lot of time breaking Belgium defences in the first half, and the last 10 minutes of the game, the free kick had to be a goal. Great game.

Ah damn, I had to run errands right before overtime. Glad to see both teams score.

What a game!!!!!!

At the start I didn't have very high hopes for Belgium. They did win all the previous matches, but it was always shakey.

But we stepped up our game, well deserved win for Belgium.

USA: 5/10

Belgium: 4/10

Tim Howard: 100000000000000000000/10

Tim Howard wins the world cup

Why would you rate USA higher than Belgium, Belgium might not have had great finishes, but they ran rings around USA for the majority of the match. Agreed with the Tim Howard rating though, without him USA would have been trounced :p, he definitely made some great saves. 

Why would you rate USA higher than Belgium, Belgium might not have had great finishes, but they ran rings around USA for the majority of the match. Agreed with the Tim Howard rating though, without him USA would have been trounced :p. 

I rated them lower because they were such a disappointment relative to the amount of time they spent pounding away at the US. And that's all Tim Howard's fault :D

Respect for the U.S. team. They are a competitive team in a sport they were absolutely nobody just 20 years ago. They've surpassed, thanks to hard work, pride, good investments, intelligence, continuity and a winning mind set, many countries with lots of tradition and years in the sport.

Congrats!

There has to be something in the water. The matches for the 8th of finals have been intense and crazy, going into extra time or even penalty kicks with teams outdoing themselves. One has to be careful of his heart or nerves.

Matches like Belgium/USA,I want some more

• Like 1

The US were mightily impressive last night, shame they didn't win.

Why is Tim H. suddenly a god? Didn't USA lose 2-1?

Did you watch the game? He was awesome. The problem was his defense was not up to snuff.

I missed the game (didn't really want to watch it, after the disappointing USA vs Germany game), but according to reddit and the word on the Internet in general, the guy stopped everything :huh: ... except you know, the two goals that cost USA the game.

I missed the game, but according to reddit and the word on the Internet in general, the guy stopped everything :huh: ... except you know, the two goals that cost USA the game.

Yeah, but if he didn't stop everything else, the score should've been like 15-0 for Belgium. So far, I don't know who played better, Howard or Mexico's GK in the match vs. Brazil.

Did you watch the game? He was awesome. The problem was his defense was not up to snuff.

One of the many stats I saw was 20 shots on target from Belgium and Tim Howard was definitely keeping them in the game, the USA almost equalised at the death!

Did the US team just go from underdog to overrated? :s

No, they went from 'underdog' to 'team with a lot of potential you should look out for in the future'.

• Like 2