Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question

Posted

My old PC:

ASUS P5K-E WIFI (2008 era) (Custom BIOS)

Intel Core 2 Duo (3.2GHz)

8GB (4x2) DDR2 (in Dual Channel) pff Corsair I think

NVIDIA 560GTX videocard

New Rig:

ASUS H87-PLUS

Intel i5 (4th Gen) Haswell 3.1 GHz

8GB (2x4) DDR3 Kingston (in Dual Channel) Sporty looking with "heat spreaders"

Corsair 500W "quiet" PSU <- I brought this back for a refund

Cost (around

1 person likes this

15 answers to this question

Posted

Was this your first build ?

Posted

Was this your first build ?

Nah I built all my own PCs, but upgraded the old one constantly (last time in Oct 13 with the SSD) I've had at least 3 CPUs and multiple video cards in the old build too :)

Posted

Yeah, that's one hell of a jump from the C2D to a Haswell i5. I was forced to upgrade from an i7 860 to a i5 4670 when my old build died, and I gained some performance on the way (even though it's only a 2 generation gap between the 2 CPU's). The i5 also consumes less power, and is more efficient. Enjoy! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Cheers, I'm just wondering if Half Life 2 Deathmatch will play alright on it (I only play once a month if that for a bit) not enough to warrant an expensive noisy video card (anymore).

Posted

Cheers, I'm just wondering if Half Life 2 Deathmatch will play alright on it (I only play once a month if that for a bit) not enough to warrant an expensive noisy video card (anymore).

Should run fine, nothing amazing like but should run decent enough. HL2 DM <3

1 person likes this

Posted

People still play HL2DM? I'm downloading it now!

Posted

IMO go get another Corsair PSU.

Never heard of Aopen... so can't trust that.

Several years ago, I had a corsair that "died" after a powercut... tested it a few months later and it was alive again. Has been sitting pretty ever since in my "server" box.

And add another 8GB RAM

1 person likes this

Posted

AOpen PSU ????

You dont hangout in HH much do you ?

Crappy, generic PSU are a big NO-NO

Just because it doesnt make things go faster doesnt mean it isn't important.

Posted

My old PC:

ASUS P5K-E WIFI (2008 era) (Custom BIOS)

Intel Core 2 Duo (3.2GHz)

8GB (4x2) DDR2 (in Dual Channel) pff Corsair I think

NVIDIA 560GTX videocard

Confession: :(

I broke the first motherboard by installing the CPU wrong, meaning I had to pay another

Posted

The PSU is solid. I have had this computer (with varying parts) on 24/7 for the past six years and the PSU that came with the coolermaster case failed after the first year lol.

Oh and right now I don't have a need for 16GB when my memory is only sitting at 50% max :)

Huh, what do you know; I also have a core 2 duo (but much slower at 2.33 GHz) and a GTX 560 (Ti). RAM is still 4GB.

That i5 is bound to make things a LOT faster. My 560 is badly bottlenecked by the CPU, although nvidia's latest driver improved the FPS by a huge margin by removing a big chunk of CPU overhead. Still not enough though.

How did you even manage to install the CPU wrong?! CPUs can only sit in one position, or can they?

Yeah I know, was my own stupid fault at hurrying. I could have just left that part out :shifty: lol

Posted

That's quite the jump in performance. I, too, went from a Core2Duo rig to a Haswell Core i5-4570.

1 person likes this

Posted

Cannot complain, after using it for a few days now I'm really happy at how quiet it is compared to my old build. A friend is giving me a spare Radeon card that is advertised as "quiet" and supports Crossfire, so I'll be adding that along with the Optical in bracket that is on the way. I can wait on a BluRay player, I saw they are only around

Posted

Steven, just because 1 PSU lasted for a while, does not mean the next one will too.  You have to go by the law of averages.  A-Open PSUs are not a solid, reliable brand, period.

Saying "well it worked before, so it will work again" is like the mom & dad who say "well our last HP worked for 8 years, so we will get another HP so it will last 8 years..."

Law of averages suggests you have better odds by going with something of quality, but if you want to save $30 while possibly sacrificing reliability...

I only mention this and stress it because what you are saying is the typical newbish (not trying to be a pr*ck) mindset.  So, you posted this in here looking for advice from people who have more experience, then when 2 people mention the PSU is a mistake -- you dismiss as if you know better....

Just trying to help, this is not my 1st rodeo ;)

UPDATE - I see you already built it, well cross your fingers

Posted

^ This would only make sense if I was building a gaming rig or am planning to do some overclocking, neither of which applies here. I don't know why you're taking it so personally :s I am happy with my build, period. I don't remembering asking for advice either :P

Posted

Ooooooooh, bitch mode enabled?

All jokes aside, if he's happy with it, leave him be - if it blows up in a few months it's his issue :)