Obama to Republicans: 'So sue me'

us

128 replies to this topic

#121 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 21,485 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:09

How do you work with a system the refuses to do anything but sit on it's hands and play with their bum holes all day long all the while pocketing tax payer money for doing nothing If I was Obama I would do the same thing I'd tell Congress here's what needs doing and here's the time you have to decide on it go over that time and I'll make the decision for you simple as that

Sometimes the right thing to do is to enforce the damned laws Congress has already passed (and previous presidents have signed) instead of pulling new, contradictory, "laws by decree" out of ones ass like some tin-horn dictator.

#122 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 3,212 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:52

Sometimes the right thing to do is to enforce the damned laws Congress has already passed (and previous presidents have signed) instead of pulling new, contradictory, "laws by decree" out of ones ass like some tin-horn dictator.

Precisely. He's the head of the Executive Branch, meaning his job is to carry out the law. He doesn't have the power to create laws, or dictate to the other 2 branches of government. He's the president, not the absolute monarch that he's trying to make himself out to be.

Even if I agreed with his policies, I'd oppose the way he goes about them.

#123 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,341 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:56

And the beat goes on.  "It's the President's fault!" "No, it's Congress' fault!"

No wonder so many people disconnect from politics altogether and don't bother voting. Instead of finding common ground and solving problems, both sides, and their supporters, just waste time yelling at each other like a bunch of children.

Come 2016, the singers will change, but the tune will remain the same. Meanwhile, nothing gets done and the country continues to rot, like wood.  The American Empire, like so many others before it, is disintegrating before our eyes. And it all happened without a shot being fired.

voyager%20self%20destruct.gif

#124 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 17,734 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 15:09

And it all happened without a shot being fired.

Oh, I think quite a few shots are being fired...

#125 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 3,116 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 19 June 2015 - 15:27

How do you work with a system the refuses to do anything but sit on it's hands and play with their bum holes all day long all the while pocketing tax payer money for doing nothing If I was Obama I would do the same thing I'd tell Congress here's what needs doing and here's the time you have to decide on it go over that time and I'll make the decision for you simple as that 

Except the President doesn't have that power, and for good reason.

#126 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 8,044 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 22:16

I'm more surprised we disagree so strongly on what the Executive can and can't do.  Where is it written that the Executive has no say in how, when, and to what priority a law is enforced? Who can grant pardons again?

"The president cannot suspend or change the law: When he leaves office, the law will remain the same as it was, and the next president will be free to enforce it or not."

I have a great respect for Ross Douthat, yet even he continues to make this basic error.

#127 Taliseian

Taliseian

a_useless_cleric00

• 384 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 23:05

First off, no matter how many times you hear it or read it, he's far from the worst President in history.  Just looking at sheer metrics (number of jobs created, Dow Jones, GDP, Deficit, etc.), he rates as one of the best.

You may not agree with his policies, but what he has been able to accomplish against an obstructionist political party has worked and made things better - even Obamacare, while far from the perfect solution and with areas that can be fixed, is a damn sight better than the mess we had before.  It can be easily be corrected and turned into something better if the Republicans would stop kowtowing to the Insurance companies and Big Business and start thinking about the people who put them there.

Secondly, he is a graduate of Harvard Law School and a Constitutional scholar so I bet he knows what he can and can not do. There are problems that need to be fixed...he inherited a lot of then from one of the worst Presidents in modern history and more were thrust upon him due to the inaction of our Legislative Branch, but he does have the ability, within limits, to take matters into his own hand and correct them.  If you look at the sheer number of Presidential Orders, Obama by far ranks toward the bottom.  He has tried and tried again to work within the system, but when you have a political party that has abdicated its responsibility to govern and made its sole activity for the past six plus years to stopping anything and everything the President does, even if those actions are agreeable to their own ideology and even to the majority of the citizens, then the President has no choice to but to do what he can within the limits of his powers to govern. 

The sheer amount of disrespect that has been shown President Obama just proves how little the Republican Party cares about governing.  It is absolutely shameful to look at the number of appointments that still, after over six years in office, are just sitting there because the Republican Party has chosen to become the Do Nothing Party and act like spoiled brats instead of being adults and working with the President and the Democratic Party.  If they had taken the time to do what they were supposed to do -- compromise, listen to the majority, and really govern -- we would all be a lot better off.

And don't say that the Democrats haven't compromised.  Obamacare has over fifty amendments to it, the majority either co-authored or solely authored by Republicans and it had more hearings in Congress than any other bill in history...it's not the Democrats fault that the Republicans acted like cry babies and decided not to attend the hearings -- go look and the Congressional Record for that time and see for yourself about both the Amendments and the Hearings.

Now, I'll be the first to say that I do not agree with everything the President has done.  While our standing in the world is far better than it was under Bush, our drone strike policy is worse and there are areas of both foreign and domestic policy that could of been handled better.  As I said above, Obamacare is far from perfect and it's still a massive giveaway to the Insurance Companies, but instead of repealing something that is far better than what we had before, if the Republican Party wanted to prove that they are not the obstructionists that they really are, they would come up with ideas to improve the law and work with the President to fix it instead of wasting months of time and millions of dollars to attempt to repeal a law that everyone knows the President would not sign.  

I mean really, do any of you even remotely think that the President would sign a law that would repeal one of his signature accomplishments???

Look, I'd do the same thing the President said....if you wanna sue, go ahead.   But I wouldn't be so fast to do so because there is a lot of stuff that I bet the Republicans would rather not see the light of day, lest they be proven without a shadow of doubt to be the root cause of a lot of the issues we're dealing with now.  

T

#128 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 21,485 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:53

Being a Harvard Law prof doesn't mean infallible. Fact is, he's been reversed so many times in the courts it's becoming an "Oh yeah? Again?"

Also: the Dow is a rotten indicator of the economy's health. It's pure speculation & emotion and often goes up when things are sinking like a rock and vice versa.

Even his own party has caught on, so perhaps it's time to readjust your bearings?

#129 AR556

AR556

Booger Sugar

• 6,173 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:09

Errr...most of you on that land are illegal aliens claming to own something you didnt in the first place.

Oh please....just about all land was fought over and taken by force at some point in history.