Target asks its customers to kindly not shop while armed with guns

Target asks its customers to kindly not shop while armed with guns

Target is the latest US business that's politely asking gun-rights activists to keep their firearms out of its stores. CEO John Mulligan today published an open letter on the "complex issue" of open carry laws, which have come under focus in recent months thanks to brazen, audacious demonstrations by Open Carry Texas. The group's members have carried assault rifles into restaurants, stores, and other public settings. Their antics and images from the events have infuriated gun control advocates across the country, and even drawn scorn from the NRA ? though only briefly. Now, like Starbucks and Chipotle before it, Target is discouraging customers from walking through its shopping aisles with a loaded gun in tow. "Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create," Mulligan said.

Target isn't banning guns outright; instead, the company is positioning its new stance as a "respectful request." That's the exact same language Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz used in a similar letter posted last year. The coffee retailer says customers have mostly honored his wish ever since. Despite last month's alarming public displays, Chipotle also stopped short of prohibiting firearms altogether. "We hope that our customers who oppose the carrying of guns in public agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle," a spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal last month. The companies that have taken a stand so far say they're main objective is to ensure a safe, relaxed environment for all customers. Throwing a AR-15 or another deadly weapon into the mix tends to complicate that goal.

Source: The Verge

"The group's members have carried assault rifles into restaurants, stores, and other public settings."

Have some of you really lost it? I can easily justify carrying a gun under your jacket etc. but this...retarded.

^

I agree, I am a gun owner and concealed weapons permit carrier. This is stupid and childish. It's just like everything else in this world. A small pocket of idiots ruin for the rest of us. The point is to have gun rights given to us by the Constitution. Not carry around giant guns on display and scare the ###### out of people. I had rather have my guns concealed if in a situation. Didn't Sun Tzu mention something about the element of surprise? 

I say forget being polite and asking kindly. Make it very easy to understand for all involved and just outright say you cannot carry a gun in their establishment.

To me that is no different than stores putting up "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" signs.

Make it a pleasant experience for everyone who visits your establishment.

^ The less friendly approach will probably come later. For now, I quite understand their desire to keep it a polite request.  They don't want those gun toting morons to show up and cause problems.

Depends on where you are. In the near rural suburbs and rural areas seeing someone with a rifle, shotgun or wearing an openly visible sidearm wouldn't even raise an eyebrow - especially during hunting season. You run into town for lunch or whatever and no one cares.

As for concealed carry, done right no one notices either. If stores don't have the conviction to put up a firearms free zone sign don't make an issue of it as that'll just attract the demonstrators. Or maybe that's what they want so they can make a political issue of it?

• Like 1

But again...the great majority of Americans do not want people with weapons walking around public places. There is absolutely no need. It reduces everyone's safety to have people with rifles walking around everywhere.

• Like 3

i 100% would leave the area of someone (non-uniform general joe public stranger) walking around open carrying. Even faster if I had kids with me. If someone that feels they MUST carry openly a firearm, perhaps they are not totally there in the mind to begin with so who knows when they would snap.

Depends on where you are. In the near rural suburbs and rural areas seeing someone with a rifle, shotgun or wearing an openly visible sidearm wouldn't even raise an eyebrow - especially during hunting season. You run into town for lunch or whatever and no one cares.

As for concealed carry, done right no one notices either. If stores don't have the conviction to put up a firearms free zone sign don't make an issue of it as that'll just attract the demonstrators. Or maybe that's what they want so they can make a political issue of it?

No, I mean the rifle toting idiots mentions in the OP, that intentionally turned up with loads of weapons specifically to cause problems, that even the NRA criticised.

I think you're a little backwards on this, no?  Did these companies ask for customers to come in with rifles strapped to their arms?  No?  If anything, these "demonstrators" are causing the issue all on their own.  Without reason.  I'm glad to see it's backfiring and these companies are politely telling them to cut it out.  It's obvious these "demonstrators" don't understand the ramifications of what they're doing.

• Like 2

Those yes, but there have been a few where they were legitimate demonstrations.

In a small city north of Detroit a guy parked and was walking a weapon to a gun store for some work. A young female cop arrested him for brandishing. Huh?

Problem: Michigan has no brandishing law, which is the core of our Open Carry law. Cop school 101 - don't arrest folks for doing something LEGAL.

Everyone in the state knew it was a bogus charge but the locals insisted on pushing it, even though state law had dominance. A few folks in city govt. getting attention.

That brought out the demonstrators, and IMO rightly so. There's usually no need because it's flipping legal.

Gets in front of a judge, he tosses the charge in the first minute, and reprimanded all city officials concerned. The guy sued, won and collected from the city.

If gays and everyone else from here to High Heaven can protest some violation of their rights in a brash, but still legal, manner then so can gun owners. What's good for the goose etc.

pb-120612-gun-protest-jm-0.photoblog900.

• Like 2

I would like to see the same picture with black people, or latinos, or may be a guy with dark skin, a turban and a beard ... just for the fun of it ...

If gays and everyone else from here to High Heaven can protest some violation of their rights in a brash, but still legal, manner then so can gun owners. What's good for the goose etc.

Really?  I wasn't aware that Gay Pride killed thousands of people a year.  Hmm...strap a gay to my arm and march into Target....Absurd.

I think these nuts are pushing the issue because they want to have another civil war. Once they push legislators to restrict 'ter gun rites' that will just increase their militants. These folks are poking the bear and seem to be readying themselves for a violent outcome.

If a black man were carrying the same guns around, he'd probably be killed as these racist white boys "stand their ground." ######ing hypocrites.

I would like to see the same picture with black people, or latinos, or may be a guy with dark skin, a turban and a beard ... just for the fun of it ...

Wouldn't raise an eyebrow. Quite a few shooting clubs and ranges around here and the memberships are decidedly mixed because the area is. The range I go to has whites, blacks, a few Arabs and at the last gathering 2 Sikhs.

If a black man were carrying the same guns around, he'd probably be killed as these racist white boys "stand their ground." ######ing hypocrites.

Wrong. See above. The issue here isn't race v race but normals v predators.

Most of the people doing 'stand your ground' these days are the besieged regular black people in Detroit.

The black community and leaders in these parts were instrumental in getting SYG passed. By a Democrat legislature at the time, and signed by a Democrat governor.

• Like 2

Wouldn't raise an eyebrow. Quite a few shooting clubs and ranges around here and the memberships are decidedly mixed because the area is. The range I go to has whites, blacks, a few Arabs and at the last gathering 2 Sikhs.

Wrong. See above. The issue here isn't race v race but normals v predators.

No, no, no, not at the shooting range, while shopping at Krogers for Oreo cookies or entering a restaurant ...

Just like these guys

post-69836-0-60506500-1404320097.jpg

• Like 2

In a small city north of Detroit a guy parked and was walking a weapon to a gun store for some work. A young female cop arrested him for brandishing. Huh?

Problem: Michigan has no brandishing law, which is the core of our Open Carry law. Cop school 101 - don't arrest folks for doing something LEGAL.

Everyone in the state knew it was a bogus charge but the locals insisted on pushing it, even though state law had dominance. A few folks in city govt. getting attention.

That brought out the demonstrators, and IMO rightly so. There's usually no need because it's flipping legal.

Gets in front of a judge, he tosses the charge in the first minute, and reprimanded all city officials concerned. The guy sued, won and collected from the city.

Legality has sod all to do with it, Doc, and you know that.

If I were to see a group of folks like in your photo carrying those sort of weapons, I -would- be afraid, and I -would- leave the area rapidly, and I -would- call the cops.

Legality be damned, there's such a thing as actually having a brain and a little consideration, and not scaring the crap out of folks around you just because you want to wave your wang-substitute around.

pb-120612-gun-protest-jm-0.photoblog900.

Gay people don't kill people by wanting to get married! These gun nuts have a much higher chance at killing somebody

Doubt it would matter here either. Open Carry groups here are decidedly integrated because the area is.

Sorry Doc, but looking at that photo you posted, it's pretty clear that people walking like that is NOT normal, or they wouldn't be grouped together like that and people wouldn't be taking photo's of it.

It's obvious that it's a very ABnormal thing to do, in fact.

Legality has sod all to do with it, Doc, and you know that.-

It has everything to do with it. It's either legal or not.

If I were to see a group of folks like in your photo carrying those sort of weapons, I -would- be afraid, and I -would- leave the area rapidly, and I -would- call the cops.

Then the problem isn't them but your fear.

Legality be damned, there's such a thing as actually having a brain and a little consideration, and not scaring the crap out of folks around you just because you want to wave your wang-substitute around.

As I said, for valid protests and in the rural situations & hunting season I see no problem. And individuals have the option to carry a sidearm concealed or not. During hunting season or in camp area towns it's rather hard to conceal a 5 pound .500 Mag or .50 Desert Eagle.

Are the women openly carrying using them as wang substitutes? I see women carrying nearly every time I go to the store.

Can we say the same to all the religious nutcases trying to ban gay marriage?

As I said, for valid protests and in the rural situations & hunting season I see no problem. And individuals have the option to carry a sidearm concealed or not. During hunting season or in camp area towns it's rather hard to conceal a 5 pound .500 Mag or .50 Desert Eagle.

Are the women openly carrying using them as wang substitutes? I see women carrying nearly every time I go to the store.

As a male, it's legal for me to marry a woman.  Doesn't mean I'm going to do it.  Why should people walk around with guns strapped to their arms simply because it's "legal"?  Especially knowing that people are afraid of guns and what they're capable of.  Camp area town or not, it's absolutely ridiculous to stroll through a Target with a rifle strapped openly.  I suppose you could get jumped.  You know, in broad daylight....in a parking lot full of people....It must be fun imagining all of these absurd scenarios in an attempt to justify having a gun strapped to you 24/7. 

I have no problem with concealed firearms if the person carrying has a permit. What I don't agree with is carrying an Assault Rifle when going into a public place, what possible reason could anyone have for openly carrying a firearm, an Assault Rifle in this instance, when doing your shopping or going for coffee.

This makes me glad that I live in the UK where firearms aren't readily available to everyone.

• Like 2

It must be fun imagining all of these absurd scenarios in an attempt to justify having a gun strapped to you 24/7. 

they are all heroes in their own mind... look at all of them, they all have a story where they saved the day, shot the bad guy, and saved the princess. Take away their gun and suddenly they are very small men who are insecure with the world around them.

(not suggesting all, just almost ALL of them)