Target asks its customers to kindly not shop while armed with guns

they are all heroes in their own mind... look at all of them, they all have a story where they saved the day, shot the bad guy, and saved the princess. Take away their gun and suddenly they are very small men who are insecure with the world around them.

(not suggesting all, just almost ALL of them)

I'm pretty sure your assessment is off base here. The average CCL holder doesn't carry a gun because they feel like a hero in their own mind, they carry a gun because you never know what is going to happen anywhere you go. I agree that open carry is pretty stupid, especially with rifles, but if it is legal where you are then the people who don't like it need to get over it.

I have no problem with concealed firearms if the person carrying has a permit. What I don't agree with is carrying an Assault Rifle when going into a public place, what possible reason could anyone have for openly carrying a firearm, an Assault Rifle in this instance, when doing your shopping or going for coffee.

This makes me glad that I live in the UK where firearms aren't readily available to everyone.

You are seeing AR-15's and similar rifles. They are NOT assault rifles as they are semi-automatic (1 trigger pull, 1 shot. No different than a double action revolver or Beretta pistol.)

Assault rifles have Select-Fire; semi-auto or full auto (machine gun) and they are illegal without a special tax and anal exam by the Feds.

AR-s share 2 things with assault rifles: removable magazines and looks. That's it.

Even then, many regular hunting rifles use the same caliper rounds, are also semi-automatic and also have removable magazines.

The AR-15 and assault rifles also shoot derivations of hunting rounds; mainly the .223 Remington (5.56 NATO) and .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO.)

No major difference from a hunting rifle. Just a lighter item to carry, better in inclement conditions, they can take accessories like lights and they look cool.

You are seeing AR-15's and similar rifles. They are NOT assault rifles as they are semi-automatic (1 trigger pull, 1 shot. No different than a double action revolver or Beretta pistol.)

Assault rifles have Select-Fire; semi-auto or full auto (machine gun) and they are illegal without a special tax and anal exam by the Feds.

AR-s share 2 things with assault rifles: removable magazines and looks. That's it.

Even then, many regular hunting rifles use the same caliper rounds, are also semi-automatic and also have removable magazines.

The AR-15 and assault rifles also shoot derivations of hunting rounds; mainly the .223 Remington (5.56 NATO) and .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO.)

No major difference from a hunting rifle. Just a lighter item to carry, better in inclement conditions, they can take accessories like lights and they look cool.

Why does it matter what they are?

Non of this explains why you need to carry around an AR-15 when you go shopping.

The only reason they do it is because the law say they can and it intimidates people.

Those are the ones you want defending your right to bear arms. Good luck

• Like 1

I don't carry an AR while shopping. A concealed SIG P250 or P239 .40 yes, but not a rifle.

For a valid protest as in the example I gave yes, but not routinely.

because you never know what is going to happen anywhere you go.

I can't say anything about your personal situation if in fact a gun is required, but it still holds true : Take away their gun and suddenly they are very small men who are insecure with the world around them.

Don't you live in whats touted at "the greatest nation on earth"? Kind of odd the the other "lessor" nations doesn't pack guns with them everywhere they go. Can you see that its possibility like a your security blanket when you were little? As long as you had your blanket, bad monsters can't hurt you. In this case, it makes MOST feel good but that's all it does...  a little feeling with a very real consequences from something that you almost guaranteed don't need (even if you claim you do).

Someone who isn't intimately familiar with guns isn't going to know that. All they see are people carrying around "machine guns".

• Like 2

Thanks for the correction, here in the UK gun laws differ drastically. Firearms can be bought here but need a certificate and the owner has to justify why they need each and every firearm they purchase and some firearms aren't allowed to be privately owned. Even Airguns are subject to similar restrictions.

Wikipedia isn't the best site for this but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom

I can't say anything about your personal situation if in fact a gun is required, but it still holds true : Take away their gun and suddenly they are very small men who are insecure with the world around them.

This is it in a nutshell.  Only cowards are so frightened of the world around them that they need to take a gun everywhere they go.  It's pathetic seeing grown men and women who are so delusional that they can't even walk down the street without a deadly weapon to "defend" themselves.

I don't see why shops like Target panders to such stupidity.  Don't ask politely, just ban the guns.

Then the problem isn't them but your fear.

It is perfectly reasonable to be afraid of someone with a gun, particularly in the US where mass shootings are more common than snow. Also, one of the main reasons people carry around guns is fear, in large part because guns make the US a dangerous place to live - if you weren't afraid of getting shot you wouldn't feel the need to have to defend yourself. If I lived in a failed city like Detroit or New Orleans I'd want to carry a gun as well.

At the end of the day businesses are perfectly right to fear the impact that these extremists will have on their business. I sure as hell wouldn't feel safe seeing people walking around with assault rifles while shopping. If I'm concerned about someone's mental health the last thing I want to see is them holding an assault rifle. More importantly, if people become accustomed to seeing people walking around with assault rifles like this it will make mass shootings all the more easy.

• Like 2

At the end of the day businesses are perfectly right to fear the impact that these extremists will have on their business.

Imagine the lawsuits you would have when some one happens to go off the deep end (30+ times a day in the US) and starts shooting people inside YOUR store.

I'll have to say, I accept what Target is asking. I co-own a retail architectural paint store. If a person walked into my establishment even with a large knife I would immediately be nervous/defensive and thinking about the concealed .45 on my side.

Imagine the lawsuits you would have when some one happens to go off the deep end (30+ times a day in the US) and starts shooting people inside YOUR store.

Target's staff have a right to work in a safe, threat-free environment. Management should be doing more to create that environment..

I whole heartedly agree with this. 

First off, it's target's right to ask you not to carry a gun in their store, and in most states it's illegal to be on the premises with a gun (or refuse to leave) once you've been asked. The charge ranges from state to state, but as far as I know the minimum charge is trespass.

Secondly, there is, in my opinion, absolutely no need to carry a gun in a store like target. If the store is going to get robbed, the store's security will deal with it. In an area where there are a high proportion of families (potentially with small children) no guns is a good thing. If you normally carry a gun, I think it's fair for the store to ask you to lock it in your car before entering.

Someone who isn't intimately familiar with guns isn't going to know that. All they see are people carrying around "machine guns".

Then they need education. Their ignorance should not limit others.

Don't you live in whats touted at "the greatest nation on earth"? Kind of odd the the other "lessor" nations doesn't pack guns with them everywhere they go. Can you see that its possibility like a your security blanket when you were little? As long as you had your blanket, bad monsters can't hurt you. In this case, it makes MOST feel good but that's all it does...  a little feeling with a very real consequences from something that you almost guaranteed don't need (even if you claim you do).

Everyone should feel insecure about the world around them, if you don't you're an idiot.

I whole heartedly agree with this. 

First off, it's target's right to ask you not to carry a gun in their store, and in most states it's illegal to be on the premises with a gun (or refuse to leave) once you've been asked. The charge ranges from state to state, but as far as I know the minimum charge is trespass.

Secondly, there is, in my opinion, absolutely no need to carry a gun in a store like target. If the store is going to get robbed, the store's security will deal with it. In an area where there are a high proportion of families (potentially with small children) no guns is a good thing. If you normally carry a gun, I think it's fair for the store to ask you to lock it in your car before entering.

I don't usually patronize stores that have no gun signs, unless they're my only option at the time. It's my personal preference, but Target is just an upscale Walmart. I will continue to carry concealed in Target and if they ever decide to put up no gun signs, I will just stop shopping there. I can tell you this though, store security isn't going to do a damn thing in an armed robbery situation because guess what...they don't carry guns! Not only that, but I would rather not leave my wife and children's lives in the hands of a rent-a-cop at Target. I will concede that I have been in some Target stores that have a police substation near the customer service area, but they aren't in all of them and I go to more places than just Target.

I beg to differ.  I think those who carry guns are ignorantly limiting society.

Everyone should feel insecure about the world around them, if you don't you're an idiot.

I don't usually patronize stores that have no gun signs, unless they're my only option at the time. It's my personal preference, but Target is just an upscale Walmart. I will continue to carry concealed in Target and if they ever decide to put up no gun signs, I will just stop shopping there. I can tell you this though, store security isn't going to do a damn thing in an armed robbery situation because guess what...they don't carry guns! Not only that, but I would rather not leave my wife and children's lives in the hands of a rent-a-cop at Target. I will concede that I have been in some Target stores that have a police substation near the customer service area, but they aren't in all of them and I go to more places than just Target.

So let me get this straight, your fear of the world trumps those who fear guns?  Sounds to me like that's a psychological issue.  I don't believe paranoia is considered "stable".  Ignoring what I just said, thank you for validating what I said earlier about imaginary scenarios where you've placed yourself in a "hero" type position within society.

• Like 3

Depends on where you are. In the near rural suburbs and rural areas seeing someone with a rifle, shotgun or wearing an openly visible sidearm wouldn't even raise an eyebrow - especially during hunting season. You run into town for lunch or whatever and no one cares.

As for concealed carry, done right no one notices either. If stores don't have the conviction to put up a firearms free zone sign don't make an issue of it as that'll just attract the demonstrators. Or maybe that's what they want so they can make a political issue of it?

I live in the middle of no where in Kansas, No one walks around with a rifle. NO ONE.

Even here we'd think the person was a loon.

They leave it in their trucks where it should be, and only take it out when they are actually hunting. But then again, we're normal people, and arent seeking attention.

Only people making a political issue of it are the ones unnecessarily carrying them around for attention, and the irony is those are the ones making you all lose the rights.

• Like 2

So let me get this straight, your fear of the world trumps those who fear guns?  Sounds to me like that's a psychological issue.  I don't believe paranoia is considered "stable".  Ignoring what I just said, thank you for validating what I said earlier about imaginary scenarios where you've placed yourself in a "hero" type position within society.

I don't have a fear of the world, just because I don't trust people I don't know doesn't mean I'm afraid of them. Sounds like you like to take everything to the extreme to me, that's probably a psychological issue.

And how did I validate that? So because I would rather trust myself than someone else I have a "hero" complex? It's called being a man and taking responsibility for you and yours.

I would like to see the same picture with black people, or latinos, or may be a guy with dark skin, a turban and a beard ... just for the fun of it ...

Blacks, latinos, or anyone of middle eastern or sub-Asian descent walking around with rifles? You've crossed the line. Call out the cops who would shoot and kill before  any questions were ever asked. Hell, even some of the law-abiding firearm bearing citizens might get in on the shoot the gangbangers/terrorists action. 

Hmmm. Is that cynical?

Blacks, latinos, or anyone of middle eastern or sub-Asian descent walking around with rifles? You've crossed the line. Call out the cops who would shoot and kill before  any questions were ever asked. Hell, even some of the law-abiding firearm bearing citizens might get in on the shoot the gangbangers/terrorists action. 

Hmmm. Is that cynical?

Yes, and also not true.

Everyone should feel insecure about the world around them, if you don't you're an idiot..

What a ridiculous thing to say.

You're a perfect example of what we're talking about. Terrified of your own shadow so you carry a gun to make yourself feel like a man.

Yes, and also not true.

It was a joking cynicism. However, there is most certainly a grain of truth to what I said. Perhaps, things are a bit different in Alaska. But, here in Dallas-Fort Worth, cops shoot people all the time. Do a search with the keywords Dallas, Fort Worth, Police, shooting and see what you find over the last few months.

These people (mostly black) that have been shot and shot and killed have either been unarmed, and/or armed with screwdrivers and the like. Some have had firearms, sure, but not all. Now, give them carte blanche to actually walk around with guns out in the open and police shootings would most likely increase. 

Here, it's rare police shootings involve white suspects/victims. These people are almost always people of color. Many whites already fear people of color, as is. Now, let those people of color walk into a store openly carrying guns and that fear increases ten fold. You would see that store empty out post-haste and the cops respond to a 911 call of a group of blacks with guns in about 25 seconds. Powder keg anyone?

Sometimes Doc, you really do take the biscuit... :no:

I don't have a fear of the world, just because I don't trust people I don't know doesn't mean I'm afraid of them. Sounds like you like to take everything to the extreme to me, that's probably a psychological issue.

And how did I validate that? So because I would rather trust myself than someone else I have a "hero" complex? It's called being a man and taking responsibility for you and yours.

If you weren't afraid of them, why do you feel the need to be armed?

• Like 1