Free cloud storage with FTP support

I doubt there is any to be honest.

FTP is quite a limited protocol, and current cloud services use really advanced mechanics to save space and secure everything.

Why exactly do you want FTP?

Its not actually for me, its for a colleague. Theu have bought an IP cam which supports uploading to FTP. Yes, I could go and set his machine up for FTP but 1. he isn't too techy and I worry I will be then lumbered with the support aspect of it, and 2. I don't think he even has a machine he is willing to keep on 24/7.

I may suggest he buy some kind of NAS with FTP support. Could this be the easiest solution you think?

The link I gave you wold work for that - your just limited to 2GB upload per month..

Its not actually for me, its for a colleague. Theu have bought an IP cam which supports uploading to FTP. Yes, I could go and set his machine up for FTP but 1. he isn't too techy and I worry I will be then lumbered with the support aspect of it, and 2. I don't think he even has a machine he is willing to keep on 24/7.

I may suggest he buy some kind of NAS with FTP support. Could this be the easiest solution you think?

One.com is a great cheap webhost. You get loads of storage space, of course they support FTP and they have some sort of Dropbox-like app. Don't know if you can access the cloud storage over FTP and vice versa, but I'd look into it. If you want space and FTP it's probably the cheapest anyway.

If you need FTP, just buy hosting, and then don't put any of the stored data in the public_html folder or any subdirectory of it.

Most NAS will have FTP support. Or check his home router, if it has USB ports most likely you can plug in a USB drive and serve it up via FTP.

For some IP cams that I have seen, other than uploading to FTP they also support email. So you can ask the IP cam to send the images/footage to, say, a GMail account (specifically set up a filter or something that assigns a specific label), and then use a script like this http://www.labnol.org/internet/send-gmail-to-google-drive/21236/ to move the attachments to Google Drive. It's a somewhat complex method but it's a one-time setup. If for some reason you don't like Google Drive I think you can also use IFTTT to transfer the footage from an email account to Dropbox/OneDrive/etc. Alternatively just browse directly from the email interface (GMail/Outlook.com/etc.) - not that hard if the IP cam is not generating a lot of data.

• 4 months later...

@xendrome - you notice this thread is from July.. So going on 6 months, think he either found his solution (which I doubt) or has moved on to something else ;)