ddwrt

40 replies to this topic

#31 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 July 2014 - 22:26

Hmmm except Asus keep giving upgrades to my rt-n66u so that's not really true though.

#32 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:17

Yeah how old is that router? Look at the change log

http://support.asus....ER.B1)&p=11&s=2

First 2013.09.11 update
Last 2014.06.27 update

Lets see how many updates you get when the next model rolls out. Hmmm lets take a look at a slightly older model, the RT-N13U

http://support.asus....ER.B1)&p=11&s=2
last 2012.11.19 update
First 2011.06.23 update

What is that a bit over a year ;) Where are its security updates and new features? for example that came out for the newer versions??

Now fairly impressed that the 15U that first updates in 2012, has an update in 2014 -- notice "2. Patched IPv6 user interface from Merlin's build."

Give your shiny new model a year, maybe a year and half when the new line comes out they pretty much forget all about last years model. Lets see how many new features or fixes happen ;)

#33 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:24

If I didn't have DD-WRT installed and working perfectly for my needs, I would probably try out the other firmware. No point right now, though.

#34 LiquidSmoke

LiquidSmoke

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:17

Recent Asus routers run the Asuswrt firmware. It is a unified firwmare with the same code base for all of their supported routers. This allows updates for one device to easily be applied to all supported devices. Asus moved some of their older routers to this firmware, which is why they are still getting updates.

Switching to third party firmware can decrease the performance of your router. If your router lacks in features, stability, security, etc then third party firmware becomes a good option.

#35 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:25

dd-wrt ran great on my old linksys routers (WRT54G and WRN300 IIRC), but I recently tried a Netgear (WNDR4500) which wasn't fully supported, beta firmwares - and when they say that its true. 100Mbit cap WAN connection and didn't handle VLANs like it was supposed to. I tried a few different coders builds I found on their FTP site and all were buggy, like having to reset the router and wait 2 min for bootup every time you make a config change. Good thing the restore to stock option worked.

#36 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:29

Here I corrected this for you ;)

"Switching to third party firmware can decrease  increase the performance of your router. If your router lacks in features, stability, security, etc then third party firmware becomes a good option."

#37 LiquidSmoke

LiquidSmoke

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:25

Here I corrected this for you ;)

"Switching to third party firmware can decrease  increase the performance of your router. If your router lacks in features, stability, security, etc then third party firmware becomes a good option."

Networking performance increases from third party firmware are very rare because wireless drivers are closed source and the third party firmware generally has to resuse the same binary from the orginal firmware.

http://www.smallnetb...dd-wrt-reviewed

#38 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2014 - 22:33

performance is not always about the wireless connection rate.. Or what 1 client sees -- but if you look at those numbers the numbers are higher for the dd-wrt at the 2 close locations,..  And great benchmarks - 2 power settings, when one of the big things with the dd-wrt firmware is the ability to set the power output.  While the native allows you to what?  But there is a huge range between 71 and 251 to tweak the settings.

#39 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 July 2014 - 23:10

"On quality routers running tomato I've saturated both up and downstream without effect on latency,"

To where, I can saturate my pipe and ping times to my router are the same.. Sounds like you don't understand how tcp works. Sorry this is basic tcp and nothing to do with the router in use. Sorry if you FILL UP YOUR PIPE!! packets have to wait in line! If you want to do QoS sure you can manipulate the line..

So show me your pings to something on the internet staying the same while you fill up your download pipe.

So here is me pinging my isp gateway IP, And then downloading something that FILLS my pipe.. Connection I pay for is 50/10, as you can see 6.9MBps is a bit over the 50 I pay for 6.9 x 8 = about 55mbps

attachicon.gifpingtimes.png

So lets see this magic router fix how tcp works ;) Now if I want to setup QOS and say icmp has higher priority than my download then sure I can keep that low. ICMP is a background protocol... If you setup qos to put icmp at higher priority than your download your doing it wrong ;)

Here I am downloading and the pipe is not full and have low ping times still.

attachicon.gifpipenotfull.png

Only so many packets can go down the pipe a second.. If its FULL, pings get slow - this is just how it works sorry doesn't matter what router you are using. This going to happen on $10K cisco router, or a $20 soho..

Perhaps he was exaggerating slighty when he said he could max his pipe 'without effect on latency'. I have never enabled QoS on my Tomato flashed router and when I saturate my downstream (120Mbit <=> 15MB/s) it has a small affect on latency and no affect on web browsing for me or anyone else on the network.

speed.jpg

ping.jpg

I agree with you that third party firmware doesn't defy networking principles however for me it is far more efficient than the clunky, mediocre Belkin stock firmware which my router came with where I couldn't reach the router config menu until I hit the kill switch on my pipe busting downloads.

#40 mastercoms

mastercoms

Stop the genocide. Start the peace. Gaza 2014.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 + WP8.1

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:12

LibreWRT ftw.

It works with (imo) the best router ever, too.

#41 Obry

Obry

Intaxity.com

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:31

I would go with OpenWRT compatible device