DD-WRT: As good as it sounds?

ddwrt

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 15:53

To your openwrt issues hawkman, what version is on it? Do they have it locked where you can not update the firmware? or add packages? It is some version of they created for their device? What is the actual hardware it is on? Putting 3rd party firmware devices that have modem functions is very tricky business and you don't see much support for this.

What is a multimodem? ;) A Gateway? - modem and router in one device? Yeah they always suck ;) From the ISP even more likely to blow chunks..

I think what he was trying to say with "pfsense is as good as it sounds" is that it works, and does what it says it does, etc. It has its own little issues, especially if your running on the current development version vs stable.

Its not really the raw ingredients like something http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ would be.. You can install it to pretty much anything that runs freebsd, be it appliance type device, old PC/Server hardware or even VM, etc. They even do now sell ready to rock hardware with pfsense on it already. http://store.pfsense.org/appliances/

#47 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 04 November 2014 - 16:17

What is a multimodem? ;) A Gateway? - modem and router in one device? Yeah they always suck ;) From the ISP even more likely to blow chunks..

On kind of a side note, this unit is what Brighthouse is using for their 90Mbit and up product, it's actually pretty good, and has a decent UI that is customer accessable. Reminds me of the DLink/Asus products with N900/Dual Band Wifi. http://www.arrisi.co...duct.asp?id=687

#48 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 November 2014 - 16:50

DD-WRT drove me nuts when I tried it out, went to pfSense and haven't looked back... DD-WRT I had way too many hardware issues due to bad driver support for wifi cards or broad com / atheros chips

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 November 2014 - 17:00

To your openwrt issues hawkman, what version is on it? Do they have it locked where you can not update the firmware? or add packages? It is some version of they created for their device? What is the actual hardware it is on? Putting 3rd party firmware devices that have modem functions is very tricky business and you don't see much support for this.

I think what he was trying to say with "pfsense is as good as it sounds" is that it works, and does what it says it does, etc. It has its own little issues, especially if your running on the current development version vs stable.

Its not really the raw ingredients like something http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ would be.. You can install it to pretty much anything that runs freebsd, be it appliance type device, old PC/Server hardware or even VM, etc. They even do now sell ready to rock hardware with pfsense on it already. http://store.pfsense.org/appliances/