Photo

18 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 July 2014 - 18:54

I hope this isn't breaking any rules. I don't think it is seeing how using these Generic keys are the only way to do a clean install of 8.1 on a system that originally had 8.

In this video I will show you how if you want, you can you use a yubikey to store the generic core and pro 8.1 install keys, to make entering them as easy as a tap!

This method also works really well for storing long passwords for trucrypt volumes / containers :D or any other type of encryption software. It shows up to any system as just a USB keyboard.

#2 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:04

I hope this isn't breaking any rules. I don't think it is seeing how using these Generic keys are the only way to do a clean install of 8.1 on a system that originally had 8.

In this video I will show you how if you want, you can you use a yubikey to store the generic core and pro 8.1 install keys, to make entering them as easy as a tap!

It's not "illegal" per se - it's actually a variation on the still-supported "unattended/answer-sheet" install that has been popular for techs since XP (and in businesses since NT 3.x and 9x).

#3 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:04

Nice video, bro.

#4 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:07

Well... a better way will be to just edit / add the ei.cfg to the /sources folder.

ei.cfg (change the edition according to what you need to install)

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Or, if you want to go the way of using your own key, add a PID.txt file to the /sources folder.

[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Where X is the key.

#5 bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:09

Using the generic keys is fine, they are published on the Microsoft support website.

As for keeping the keys handy I just stick them in a text file on the USB key I have the 8.1 installer on and then just open a command prompt (Shift+F10) and use 'type filename.txt' and then copy the key into the product key box :)

Well actually I edit the ei.cfg so it doesn't prompt me for the key at all until post install but the way I just mentioned works fine too :D

#6 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:11

Well... a better way will be to just edit / add the ei.cfg to the /sources folder.

ei.cfg (change the edition according to what you need to install)

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Correct that works too. But in my case i'm installing it off a Zolman hard drive enclosure which mounts and boots from a virtual cd rom drive. So I would have to add the file and recreate the iso so it would boot. Then I would also need 2 separate ISO"s.

#7 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:22

This method also works really well for storing long passwords for trucrypt volumes / containers :D

#8 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:39

I still think it's bull ###### that I can't use my key to do a fresh install of windows.  I have to buy another license.  It came on my PC, but I can't do a clean install.  

#9 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:45

I still think it's bull ###### that I can't use my key to do a fresh install of windows.  I have to buy another license.  It came on my PC, but I can't do a clean install.  

You can do a fresh / clean install, with newer laptops the key is in the UEFI. You need to create a UEFI bootable disk and you should be good to go. It should not ask for the key and auto detect, so is what I have heard.

#10 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:49

Somebody didn't watch the video! :laugh:

#11 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:31

I'm on mobile. I'm going to check out the video tonight. Does it answer my question? Haha.

#12 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 05 July 2014 - 20:29

just use the generic key to install, your own key activates fine after that

#13 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:21

just use the generic key to install, your own key activates fine after that

Thanks. Since it's saved in the bios I shouldn't need to do anything else right?

#14 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 July 2014 - 18:39

Which took works best to find the key that's in the bios?

#15 ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 07 July 2014 - 19:16

I found a program a few weeks ago called Pkeyui, no clue who wrote it.  It pulled the key from a Toshiba Win 8.0 laptop before I axed it and installed 8.1u1.  Read the key from the BIOS just fine.

https://app.box.com/...j2gevbcfgafdct7

It's a 5.5 KB file, no install needed.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!