Make reinstalling 8.1 from an original Windows 8 install just a little bit easier using a Yubikey

I hope this isn't breaking any rules. I don't think it is seeing how using these Generic keys are the only way to do a clean install of 8.1 on a system that originally had 8.

In this video I will show you how if you want, you can you use a yubikey to store the generic core and pro 8.1 install keys, to make entering them as easy as a tap!

This method also works really well for storing long passwords for trucrypt volumes / containers :D or any other type of encryption software. It shows up to any system as just a USB keyboard.

• Like 2

I hope this isn't breaking any rules. I don't think it is seeing how using these Generic keys are the only way to do a clean install of 8.1 on a system that originally had 8.

In this video I will show you how if you want, you can you use a yubikey to store the generic core and pro 8.1 install keys, to make entering them as easy as a tap!

It's not "illegal" per se - it's actually a variation on the still-supported "unattended/answer-sheet" install that has been popular for techs since XP (and in businesses since NT 3.x and 9x).

Well... a better way will be to just edit / add the ei.cfg to the /sources folder.

ei.cfg (change the edition according to what you need to install)

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Or, if you want to go the way of using your own key, add a PID.txt file to the /sources folder.

[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Where X is the key.

Using the generic keys is fine, they are published on the Microsoft support website.

As for keeping the keys handy I just stick them in a text file on the USB key I have the 8.1 installer on and then just open a command prompt (Shift+F10) and use 'type filename.txt' and then copy the key into the product key box :)

Well actually I edit the ei.cfg so it doesn't prompt me for the key at all until post install but the way I just mentioned works fine too :D

Well... a better way will be to just edit / add the ei.cfg to the /sources folder.

ei.cfg (change the edition according to what you need to install)

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Correct that works too. But in my case i'm installing it off a Zolman hard drive enclosure which mounts and boots from a virtual cd rom drive. So I would have to add the file and recreate the iso so it would boot. Then I would also need 2 separate ISO"s.

I still think it's bull ###### that I can't use my key to do a fresh install of windows.  I have to buy another license.  It came on my PC, but I can't do a clean install.  

I still think it's bull ###### that I can't use my key to do a fresh install of windows.  I have to buy another license.  It came on my PC, but I can't do a clean install.  

You can do a fresh / clean install, with newer laptops the key is in the UEFI. You need to create a UEFI bootable disk and you should be good to go. It should not ask for the key and auto detect, so is what I have heard.

Somebody didn't watch the video! :laugh:

just use the generic key to install, your own key activates fine after that

just use the generic key to install, your own key activates fine after that

Thanks. Since it's saved in the bios I shouldn't need to do anything else right?

I found a program a few weeks ago called Pkeyui, no clue who wrote it.  It pulled the key from a Toshiba Win 8.0 laptop before I axed it and installed 8.1u1.  Read the key from the BIOS just fine.

https://app.box.com/s/l1vh4j2gevbcfgafdct7

It's a 5.5 KB file, no install needed.

I concur. Best app for the job!